It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolver turns 50

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
One of the most influential albums of all time Turns 50 today and I feel it needs to be celebrated.

The revolver album, 'The Beatles' 7th studio album was their most innovative and experimental recording to date and was the pre-cursor to their most celebrated album Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.

For me this album was better than 'Sgt.Pepper's', although that was still a great album. It has some of the most brilliant John Lennon songs such as, ' And your bird can sing, 'Tomorrow never knows', 'I'm only sleeping' and 'She said, she said'.

It also gave us a glimpse of the political situation in the U.K with George Harrison's 'Tax man'', which is probably my favourite Harrison song.

McCartney of course contributed with my all time favourite Beatles song 'Eleanor Rigby' and 'Good day sunshine'.

The recording methods with loops and reverse recordings was something that had never been tried before and this added to the overall effect the album had on fans and critics alike.

If anyone has listened to the 'B' side of paperback writer, then I believe it should have been included on the album. The song is called 'Rain' and it has Lennon at his very best vocally, with a really good bass driven groove.

I have to say, Revolver is my joint favourite album, along with Abbey Road and I raise a glass to it on it's 50th Birthday.

edit on 5/8/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm 37,and got the revolver album "cassette" remember those? when I was 15.Anyway Good day Sunshine!,and tomorrow never knows,are two of my faves.S&F...;]

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: greydaze

I am 46 and all my music was played on cassette for a while, mainly recorded from my Dad's vinyl.

I remember the smell of the vinyl though, it had such a rich aroma, but an aroma that delivered a million pleasing sounds.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

...was the pre-cursor to their most celebrated album Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.

I mostly celebrate Sgt. Peppers, too. Lots of musicians look back to the transition from just rock and roll to something else...

I can't pick one album as the favorite, though. Imo their best song is on Sgt. Peppers...
And their best performance was on a roof top.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
It was included with the 8 track player when my father bought the car along with Herb Alpert & Frank Sinatra.
I was sitting in the car every day after school.
He was so gun crazy that i guess he choose it by the title

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Magical mystery tour is right up there with Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road too... Revolver set the precedent for the styles of music they created for the 1st time....

And the musical composing diversified far and wide from there...

Happy 50!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Loved the movie and soundtrack for Yellow Submarine, too.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Not a dud on the whole album.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Ever heard of the band "DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE"? Pretty popular...it was a song sung in MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

How clueless am I? Thanks for steering me to a good band...

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Hey, I was too. Watched Mag Myst Tour again recently...and saw that terrible lounge band with a even more worse singer...singin "Death Cab for Cutie"...was pretty stunned!
Thnaks

new topics

top topics

join