It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory on the internal strife of the Republican party from a Liberal Democrat perspective

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
As a 27 year old male, who has been pretty politically active since 18 I have come to know many other people in my age group who are also quite active politically.

In college (at the University I attended) I was elected to student government and was one of the few non poly-sci/law majors a part of the organization. We were a majority liberal campus by far, but It was interesting that the majority of the student government was comprised of members of the "College Republicans" as they were understandably a fairly well organized group.

I bring this to the stage to set the premise that I know and am good friends with ALOT of people who oppose me politically. Because of that I see their posts in my facebook feed, I get their text messages, and hear their rants on the phone. People Ive known for years. Not only them but people I went to highschool with as well.

What has blown my mind, is that more of them than I expected have jumped ship on the republican party and are voting Hillary this election. Although I appreciate I found it odd, yet completely understandable as they all think Trump is a nutjob. However, I dont think Trump HIMSELF is the real reason many of them have jumped ship.

Many of these people are really good people. Kind hearted, passionate republicans who have their lifes foundation in fiscal conservatism and some of them with strong religious backgrounds as well. Not the stereotypical association I would have with your average republican.

For YEARS and I mean YEARS since I was a kid in the 90s I had heard about how all the republicans are just rich white men wanting to retain all the worlds wealth and resources themselves to enslave the common man. I heard about how they wanted to control personal liberties such as abortion, assisted suicide, the death penalty, restricting gay marriage. My view over the years progressed that all republicans were either rich white men, or redneck racists, or a combination of the two.

The funny thing is, I would argue these points to my republican friends. I would point out the inherent racism, the greed, the lack of social acceptance within their party and how being a republican, is essentially giving the finger to your neighbor. They would argue back how they would want to choose how they donate their money, how charitable they were, and how trickle down economics works etc.

This brings me to my point. What Donald Trump has unearthed, is the true colors of a large faction within the republican party that Dems have been pointing out for years. Good honest republicans have been defending their party against all of these assumptions for years! Now, we have a large portion of the Republican party at these Rally;s being blatantly racist, unaccepting and closed minded of other cultures, and pretty much everything we have said for so long.

The good, accepting, sane minded republicans are looking in the mirror and saying "Oh my god, they were right." They are coming to the realization that the organization they are a part of provides a vehicle for all those terrible things and that its not a myth. These friends of mine cant believe the conduct and viewpoints being voiced by their fellow party members, they thought it was a myth!

There is a silver lining here however.

I believe a new fiscally conservative party will be born from the faction of Republicans who are not on board with the hate speach and hate policies.
One that may or may not keep the republican name, but a revised value system that is more socially liberal but sticks to their fiscally conservative roots.

They have to evolve with the times.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
This brings me to my point. What Donald Trump has unearthed, is the true colors of a large faction within the republican party that Dems have been pointing out for years. Good honest republicans have been defending their party against all of these assumptions for years! Now, we have a large portion of the Republican party at these Rally;s being blatantly racist, unaccepting and closed minded of other cultures, and pretty much everything we have said for so long.

Oh you mean like this big expose yesterday: Uncensored Rally Videos Show Trump’s America

Actually read the thread!

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Well. Here I was expecting some hardcore shock piece.

I mean yeah there was a bunch of ugly & stupid in there (a little 3 minute montage video). But half of their material didnt' hardly to live up to its own context, some of it didn't even belong in there given the context.

If that's the best they could do after a year... FAIL!

If you want a comparison, check out my Social Justice Assault Warriors TV Marathon! thread and you can see basically hours of footage of SJW's literally assaulting people and causing actual riots at Trump rally's (and beyond).

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
You're living in a bubble, and a fairly small one at that. Liberalism is the hip ideological trend for young adults right now, They're doing it fit in, plane and simple and it's going to eat them alive from the inside. Like your post, the modern liberal meme lacks substance, logic or reason and folks are buying into it hook, line and sinker, mostly because once adopted your sentiments are echoed not challenged.

When they are challenged with truth, the challenger is attacked not the problem, to the point where the very racism, fascism and hate filled intolerance liberals casually use to label and denounce any opposition, is the only thing your ideology is excreting. It's so asinine, hypocritical and oxymoronic it blows my f'n mind more and more everyday.
edit on 5-8-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Oh you mean like this big expose yesterday: Uncensored Rally Videos Show Trump’s America

I mean yeah there was a bunch of ugly & stupid in there (a little 3 minute montage video). But half of their material didnt' hardly to live up to its own context, some of it didn't even belong in there given the context.

If you want a comparison, check out my Social Justice Assault Warriors TV Marathon! thread and you can see basically hours of footage of SJW's literally assaulting people and causing actual riots at Trump rally's (and beyond).

Nice thread. I watched 2 of the vids and read a good amount.

I take it, that you disagree?

Your argument seems to be that the "counteragression" is hypocritical? Thats a valid assessment. I cant really argue that.

However what the thing that thread and those videos miss is the context. Context is everything.

The aggression you see there is COUNTER-Agression. It is hate reaction to an initial hate.

When you go up on a podium and say you want to kick people out of our country due to their religion, when you call an entire race of people rapists, when you are supported and dont condemn the endorsements of the KKK.... that is essentially on the american socioeconomic plane an attack and declaration of war.

Those kids with the tape over their mouth had it right. Hate speech that is aimed at silencing, or opressing others is not what the second amendment is about, anything that suppresses others second amendment isnt covered by it.

However this is all off topic.

This thread is dedicated to the republicans ashamed to share the stage with their hateful brethren.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

As a 27 year old male, who has been pretty politically active since 18

All I have to say is-As a 57 year old male, who has been pretty politically active since 18 and an ex-ProgLib of most of those years...
Malarkey
Definition brought to you by Mirriam-Webster Defs

foolish words or ideas

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

No. You're missing my point.

That when you actually look at the YouTube sphere of media data, alone, there's hours and hours of ACTUAL physical assaults by "progressives" against non-progressives (all driven by HATE/RACISM/BIGOTRY).

Conversely, when you look at the from the other way around, you guys got hardly anything in comparison.

I mean unless you can replicate my work there in the Marathon thread. Be sure to keep your media examples to about 95% to those that contain actual physical assaults, as I did there.

It shouldn't be too hard for you, right? I mean all you got do is different Youtube search queries containing "Hillary rally" and surely pages and pages of videos of non-progressives out at Hillary rally's tearing snip up, right?
edit on 5-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Nice thread. I watched 2 of the vids and read a good amount.

I take it, that you disagree?

Your argument seems to be that the "counteragression" is hypocritical? Thats a valid assessment. I cant really argue that.

However what the thing that thread and those videos miss is the context. Context is everything.

The aggression you see there is COUNTER-Agression. It is hate reaction to an initial hate.

When you go up on a podium and say you want to kick people out of our country due to their religion, when you call an entire race of people rapists, when you are supported and dont condemn the endorsements of the KKK.... that is essentially on the american socioeconomic plane an attack and declaration of war.

Those kids with the tape over their mouth had it right. Hate speech that is aimed at silencing, or opressing others is not what the second amendment is about, anything that suppresses others second amendment isnt covered by it.

However this is all off topic.

This thread is dedicated to the republicans ashamed to share the stage with their hateful brethren.

First of all Mexican isn't a race, its a nationality. secondly, he didn't call all of them rapists. He said some are, and that is the truth. Where did he say anything about kicking people out of the country based on their religion?

I'm not even going to dig into the rest of your post, I could tear it into many pieces, but this post was enough of a waste of my time.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Notice how you just make stuff up to prove your point? Trump never said anything about a whole race of people being rapist. He said that some illegal immigrants from a certain country are rapist. He also said nothing about kicking Muslims out of the country. He said he wanted to vet Muslims coming into America from Middle Eastern countries. The fact you can't be honest should be a clue to you but it won't be.

Your rationalization for violence coming from liberals is pretty pathetic too. Counter aggression? Show me videos of trump supporters beating up Hillary or Bernie supporters. You can't because it's not happening. Aren't you saying it's okay for right-wingers to start beating up liberals for being mean or saying things we don't agree with?
edit on 5-8-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Yes, we do live in interesting times. I, too, wonder what will become of the GOP. Yes, evolve.
The task is to take back the country from the oligarchy and lobbyists. It took 30 years to get to this point, so the "task" will not be easy. Strong parties for the people are a must.

Have you heard of Mike Lofgren?

Mr. Lofgren also had this to say.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

That kind of thinking can go on and on, ad infinitum. It's a deflection of responsibility.

edit on 5-8-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I'm not sure why people are getting defensive. I too am happy to see the number of Conservatives denouncing Trump. I can't say I'd be happy to hear they're voting Hillary but...

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Only a certain segment of americain politics seems to have missed the fact that the gop is imploding in front of everyones eyes, the issues is those folks are projecting there anger and recycling the ammo that is being used against them.

Hillary is evil as she comes, but if you follow certain threads you could learn that, hillary is sick and dying, she is mentally ill, she does drugs, she kills people, she made money of evil muslim people, shes in bed with the cartels, she loves illegal rapist, shes coming for every gun in america.

Every day they add a new evil thing to the list, nice little propaganda pieces with vobscure blogs being claimed as truth.

Just like trump there fake bullies, they love to throw insult but cant process when the tables are turned, just enjoy ats, let the children have fun, november is coming soon, the excuses and attacks will ramp up, its all they have left, when your team has been losing for so long you tend to cling to whatever is left.

I personnaly would vote green party.
edit on 5-8-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Um, that was a really uncalled for attack on a young man who is speaking for the millennials, accurately and from his own worldview. He is right.

[SNIP]

edit on 8/5/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/2016 by kosmicjack because: removed ill mannered, off topic content

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I'm a millennial and he and I are polar opposites. "Grew up being told that republicans are white men hording all of the resources"- like really? That word/political view is hillariously ignorant for somebody that it "27" years old

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

This is an extremely well-written OP (thank you, and thanks for disclosing your deets so we can picture who is talking!) and you deserve every flag and star you rack up with it. Hopefully it will, like a lighter in a cavernous auditorium after the show is over, summon the sane back on to stage to help us keep going.

In the face of this utterly disgraceful show, which the whole world is watching (unless embroiled in their own unspeakable horror brought on by like-minded junkyard dogs), some of us need to keep our heads on straight. I saw the implosion coming beginning with the "Arab Spring" - even then, I knew this was something that was going to be a pandemic disaster of dazzling proportion.

The mid-terms clinched it - and it has happened. They are coming completely unglued, and the populace is acting it out for them. Trump is their hero. They wish they could be him, so they want him to be their leader. It's really sad.

Even Paul Ryan is sufferable compared to what's happening now. I couldn't stand Boehner or Gingrich or Bush, but this guy is too crazy to "hate." He's just scary.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I have no issues with republicans not voting for trump. I have an issues when democrats bring up that republicans are not voting for trump, after seeing how corrupt the DNC, they don't think, "wow, why is every democrat staying on board, isn't there on democrat that have principles and leave the DNC."

If the RNC has a "Taco Bowl Outreach" to get Latinos to vote republican, it would still be front page news. Democrats would still be livid. The DNC does it, oh its cool.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I am very impressed with your OP. You've hit on some very important, and perhaps ugly truths. What I find, additionally, are the 'moral' issues they use as political footballs (as if the big wig republicans actually give a wild porcine's derriere) particularly of pro-choice and gay marriage. People who are not at all savvy about politics will say "I'm voting republican because they oppose abortion". People don't' seem to realize that is nothing but a strategy to gain those votes. Anybody who thinks, for example, that George W. Bush cared whether or not a poor woman with five kids on welfare, has an abortion, is just....... sweet. But naïve.
These issues are all they know and all they want to know. Nevermind the multiple ways it shoots them in the foot.

No doubt the party is in the middle of a huge meltdown, and frankly I don't share your optimism that it can recover. Too much damage has been done. The cat is out of the bag. What has been seen, can't be unseen, (insert other clichés here).

They see (Paul Ryan, et.al) how unwilling he is to cooperate, or even negotiate, which renders him completely uncontrollable. That is a factor which many people find attractive, but it is lacking, when you examine what it is he wants to control. It's difficult to ascertain, as he changes positions so often.

I think the big-wig GOP'ers will be enormously relieved if he loses, and they can continue to do what they do best, which is nothing. Keep Congress in gridlock. If he wins, we might see the same thing, or efforts towards impeachment.
In any event, this is a huge scar for the GOP, and we'll see whether or not they can recover. If he loses, which I think they hope and pray he will, they will at least have four more years to try to put themselves back together again. But first they will have to rid themselves of the blight of Ted Cruz and his silly ideologies, and I'm not sure they can. Texas seems to like him. : o

If they absolutely can't recover from this, and this new neo-fascist republican party stays put, we might find it's the Old Guard that forms a new party. Wouldn't that be something?

I know this is way too long and nobody will read it, but anyway. There ya go. Excellent OP, and hats off to you young man. With that kind of critical thinking, I predict you have a bright future.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm a republican and I can assure you we are far from chaotic...

In fact, this is the most excitement I have seen since the 2000 election...
The 2004 election required no excitement as Kerry was such a hypocrital fool...and a windsurfer so there was that...

Anyhow, as someone who runs in what ATS would call the power circles of the Republican Party(in Texas) I can tell you we are seeing more excitement than at any point in a generation.

Nothing will ever approach Reagans curb stomping of Mondale(49-1) but we are as excited for the debates as a cowboys super bowl....notwithstanding that is not happening any time soon..

The $80M haul in July was a very pleasant surprise for my grand old party...

*****disclaimer: I was part of a contingent urging Conolezza Rice to run with Carson as her running mate or with him as presumptive Surgeon General or head of DHS and still am GLADLY supporting Trump..
Hillary is a disaster and we are getting dump trucks full of money as people realize she could be the president..

****Secretary Clinton's inability to think on her feet speak extemporaneously will be her downfall inof the debates...The debates will be an absolute debacle for the Democratic Party and I cannot wait...

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Two responses -- if it's excitement you are looking for, you've got it. I'd rather watch Breaking Bad reruns, than seek to find this kind of grotesque excitement in our government.

The other, honey your 'grand ole party' ain't Grand anymore. Hate to be the one to break it to you. That ship sailed a long time ago.

edit on 8/5/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

No. You're missing my point.

That when you actually look at the YouTube sphere of media data, alone, there's hours and hours of ACTUAL physical assaults by "progressives" against non-progressives (all driven by HATE/RACISM/BIGOTRY).

Conversely, when you look at the from the other way around, you guys got hardly anything in comparison.

I mean unless you can replicate my work there in the Marathon thread. Be sure to keep your media examples to about 95% to those that contain actual physical assaults, as I did there.

It shouldn't be too hard for you, right? I mean all you got do is different Youtube search queries containing "Hillary rally" and surely pages and pages of videos of non-progressives out at Hillary rally's tearing snip up, right?

I would use video clips from Trump rallies, when they kick liberal protesters out. There's about 5 or 6 videos of people getting punched in the face and thrown around alone. I'm quite surprised they didnt use those in the Trump rally video.

But nonce again, the topic is not dems vs reps here. This is about Republicans not realizing extremism in their own party until it's too late.
edit on 5-8-2016 by Lucidparadox because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join