It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Leave the White House a Nerdier Place Than He Found It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

It's going to be a sad day when President Obama has to leave the Oval office. Sure, he's not perfect but he sure did give it a good try. And most importantly. He did it with class.

During his term Obama started initiatives to study brain and gene-based diseases. He led the charge on antibotic resistance and became the first sitting president to be published in a prominent medical journal.

In 2012 Obama began The White House Science Fair, a program to highlight ingenuity and the entrepreneurship of the next generation of scientists and engineers.

Obama to Leave the White House a Nerdier Place Than He Found It

He began an annual tradition of science fairs, arguing that if he celebrates the nation’s top athletes at the White House, he should do the same for the best young scientific talent. He often mentions the students he has met at the fairs, including Elana Simon, who at age 12 survived a rare form of liver cancer and before graduating high school helped discover its genetic cause.

Mr. Obama’s presidential science advisory committee has been the most active in history, starting 34 studies of subjects as varied as advanced manufacturing and cybersecurity. Scientists on the committee said they worked so hard because Mr. Obama was deeply engaged in their work.

When asked in an interview, Obama plans to continue in a science related field after his Presidency is over.
The ‘Anti-Business’ President Who’s Been Good for Business

What industries would you think about going into?

Well, you know, it’s hard to say. But what I will say is that—just to bring things full circle about innovation—the conversations I have with Silicon Valley and with venture capital pull together my interests in science and organization in a way I find really satisfying. You know, you think about something like precision medicine: the work we’ve done to try to build off of breakthroughs in the human genome; the fact that now you can have your personal genome mapped for a thousand bucks instead of $100,000; and the potential for us to identify what your tendencies are, and to sculpt medicines that are uniquely effective for you. That’s just an example of something I can sit and listen and talk to folks for hours about.

We’re going to have a global entrepreneurship summit—the last one of a series that we began when I first came into office. And the enthusiasm from around the world about these summits speaks to the advantage that we continue to have here in the United States. It’s this notion that if you get a good idea, and you organize some people to support you, and you learn from your mistakes, you can create something entirely new.

President Obama wasn't always very science savy. People close to him spoke to the New York Times about his early days in office.

“His views at the time were just sort of developing,” said Michael Oppenheimer, a professor of geosciences and international affairs at Princeton. But he was always enthusiastic, several top government scientists said. Within days of his election in 2008, Mr. Obama became enmeshed in selecting those who would serve on his science advisory board. “I was really surprised by the avidity of his interest,” said Dr. Harold Varmus, who was a chairman of the board in its early days and was the director of the National Institutes of Health during the Clinton administration.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
You forgot to show him kissing babies.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Can he leave NOW, please?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sorry... My bad.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Can he leave NOW, please?

You say that now but when the next one gets in you'll be wishing he was still in there.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

In 2012 Obama began The White House Science Fair, a program to highlight ingenuity and the entrepreneurship of the next generation of scientists and engineers.

For example:

Oh and I love what he did with the manned space program! Especially the part where he gave NASA the "mission" of Muslim outreach.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Yah, science nerdy tech...

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Yea. Obama has turned into a pretty cool dude these last couple years. He's really grown on me as a President and all the hate the right still levels at him just becomes sillier and sillier as they continue to do it. Like it's not even worth taking seriously anymore. It's just funny to laugh at the kneejerk haters these days.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Every president has done some good things. Even the current one.

Add up the pros and cons and I see way more negatives.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I'm sure you'll be all up in tears when your hero leaves the white hut, but hey...........soon you'll be able to kiss Hilary's butt! What a job!

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You're funny!

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Yes. So are your posts.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I'm sure you'll be all up in tears when your hero leaves the white hut, but hey...........soon you'll be able to kiss Hilary's butt! What a job!

I might shed a tear. President Hillary Clinton will do an excellent job carrying the Torch of Justice.

It will be a sad day...

I love you,

Harry.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Oh, thank you for this post. I've been trying to explain to my students the saying "putting red lipstick on a pig."

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

originally posted by: TonyS

I might shed a tear. President Hillary Clinton will do an excellent job carrying the Torch of Justice.

?

I'm pretty sure Obama is not very happy about his possible successors, either of them. Regardless of which one gets elected, nearly everything Obama has worked for the last 8 years will come to a screeching halt for the next 4-8. Neither Hillary nor Trump are going to carry Obama's torch at all.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ScriptedSociety

Really? When you decide to rejoin reality, you can read this source.
US election: Obama endorses Clinton as political heir

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ScriptedSociety

President Clinton's first major initiatives were education and health reform. She will do just fine with that torch.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I liked Obama. he has the right temperament for the job and overall the world at large liked him. When he was elected in 2008, people were looking at him like he was the second coming of christ and would fix all things, acne, unemployment to 0.1%, mortality, etc....so no matter what, he was destined to not live up to the hype. He still fell short in areas

(seriously..gitmo is still open...executive order that already. Its simple..move the ones that can go to trial to the states. the ones who cant but you know full well are dangerous murderous b--tards, release them back in the middle east...in a war zone..about 10 steps away from a few soldiers...hey...what happens in war and all that..cant believe they went right back to war..pity..oh well, but hey, gitmo is now a resort hotel.)

I dont have much hope for Hillary. she absolutely seems like a empty suit with plenty of corporations having their hands in her back moving her. Its not even secret shilling..its overt and oddly proud.

Trump wont be POTUS. Everytime he opens his mouth, its something extreme that appeals to the right..disgusts the left, and makes the centerists cringe and take a half step to the left also. I figured he would have swung around and become more statesmen by now to get the centerists..but nope...it wasn't an act..he actually is a bit crazy and as electable as a rotting lemon.

My biggest concern about Hillary's election is social implications. expect rabid 3rd wave western feminists, blm, safe space trends to get stronger, more censorship pushing, more segregation and identity politics, skintone and gender being a important factor on who to discriminate with since this country has seen pre-civil rights era. All in the name of "pro"gress

top topics

join