It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV License now required for Catch Up TV

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
on one hand, the tv tax is soo incredibly stupid

on the other hand...it is the thing that keeps Doctor Who going...

I think a flat entertainment and PBS tax for all, regardless of usage, would perhaps be best, growing and shrinking with inflation

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bigyin

That TV license of yours is a regressive horror. How we have avoided it here in the U.S. I don't know.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
on one hand, the tv tax is soo incredibly stupid

on the other hand...it is the thing that keeps Doctor Who going...

I think a flat entertainment and PBS tax for all, regardless of usage, would perhaps be best, growing and shrinking with inflation

Something should be able to support itself on its own merits. Things necessarily cease to exist when demand wanes.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

A small tax should be fine. This yearly thing and people asking to come into your home I find just outrageous and dystopian and frankly, scary.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This is the first time i heard of a TV license, the world seems a bit grimmer now, in Switzerland it cost €439 a year...

You have to pay so they keep feeding the propaganda they want to brain wash you with?

edit on 1-8-2016 by Indigent because: forget the €

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
This is the first time i heard of a TV license, the world seems a bit grimmer now, in Switzerland it cost €439 a year...

You have to pay so they keep feeding the propaganda they want to brain wash you with?

I have watched a lot of these vids over the last few years, I still find them unbelieveable. I would be a lot less polite.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
TV tax? This is something I don't know about and hope to continue not knowing about.

My cable bill is around 300.00/per month, but that includes internet and land line.

Gin

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Those guys were as annoying as Jehovah's witnesses. Brother of mine often threatened to offer them a cup of coffee steeled with laxative so they would stop bothering his family and their next victims.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gin

Assault with laxatives. Should be illegal.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i think bbc 4 is worth the tax alone, and its nice not to see adverts every 15 minutes.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
TV tax? This is something I don't know about and hope to continue not knowing about.

My cable bill is around 300.00/per month, but that includes internet and land line.

I got my bill down to about $110. I turned off landline phone. I kept like 10 tv channels. I went up to 100/100 internet.
I watch everything on the internet anyway.

This tv licensing thing I have always found to be crazy. I found it on youtube at random sometime ago.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill

if everyone stopped buying the license , they would have no choice but to scrap it

In that case there would also be no BBC. Now I get that some people don't like the BBC but I personally think it is the best broadcaster on the planet.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
i think bbc 4 is worth the tax alone, and its nice not to see adverts every 15 minutes.

Some people in the UK say it costs between 200 and 400 pounds a year. 1 pound is 1.3 USD today. Nope, not paying that as a separate fee. Too much for BBC and PBS together.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I don't have nor plan to have a television license for a few reasons but the main ones are that I have a sky contract and have told the License people that if they wish to get their money they should make a deal with sky to get the fee from them and the other main reason - the BBC does nothing for me. There is literally no shows on the channel that I watch so I refuse to pay. When I receive letters I send it back with a note telling them that I refuse to pay and that if they wish they can bloke access to BBC channels because it has become a rubbish channel and haven't had it taken yet.

The last thing I'll say is that the new law is civil not criminal and it was only done to satisfy the change the government made when they changed it from a criminal offence to a civil, so I personally will refuse to pay it.

Advice:

If you get a person at the door about the license then do what most people do - Refuse to allow them in, they have no right and if they attempt to call the police (you don't actually call the police you just threaten to) hold your phone and record them, they hate that and tend to run away lol or just open the door let them talk don't reply and stare at them, literally say nothing, I've seen it done and they get so confused it's hilarious.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Wrong thread
edit on 8/1/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

originally posted by: tom.farnhill

if everyone stopped buying the license , they would have no choice but to scrap it

In that case there would also be no BBC. Now I get that some people don't like the BBC but I personally think it is the best broadcaster on the planet.

I love BBC programming. I watch it free. If I lived in the UK, I would pay a tax but not a license. Not let people in my home to see how many devices I have. That is just crazy.
edit on 1-8-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
its £145 a year, wich sounds better than $110 a month.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
its £145 a year, wich sounds better than $110 a month.

That is just for being able to have a TV or a device that can get TV. That doesn't pay your cable and internet bill does it?

Gin

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Yeah, in US it's actually illegal, seen some stories. I'm not sure how it's here in my country. Haven't heard or read of anyone getting assaulted with laxatives yet. Those threats my brother made never came true so can't say what outcome it would have carried.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Your personal opinion regarding BBC aside, its not like the nation requires the BBC(its not a necessity).

There are plenty of other FREE alternative channels that accommodate and even surpass the content supplied by said pedophile ridden broadcasting company.

edit on 1-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join