It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Demon at the Piano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Written for Tikbalang

- - - - - - -

The house appeared old, dilapidated, the wooden floorboards of the verandah rotted away in places, and the nose-wrinkling smell of decay permeated her senses as she peered up at the crumbling structure; the sun hidden behind the grey clouds in the sky dully shone upon the hovel, even in the grim light it managed to accentuate each and every one of the many flaws.

This ramshackle dwelling had been gifted to her from an aunt she had never known, whom now she would never know, and she was disgusted that this dump had been left in her name for her to waste what little money she had on renovation or demolition. The hand of fate was unkind.

Her scowling face glared up at the crumbling building and with a heavy sigh, she tentatively stepped one foot forward onto the rotting woodwork, careful to remain light-footed as she dared enter the decrepit building of which she assumed had once been a grand home, and then she would decide what must be done; perhaps she would also search for any remaining valuables, there could be anything in there.

The doors looked as though they had rotted away long ago, the entrance was open bare, and as she peered into the confines, she could easily see the shattered glass and crumbling wood of a home that had been neglected for some time, it was then that she knew that she would find nothing here. Best to examine the remains and get out, a cursory inspection and no more, she was already certain that demolition awaited.

Taking a deep breath and keeping a close eye on the floorboards she stood upon, she took several more careful steps into the ramshackle abode before stopping in sheer amazement! As she entered the building, the floor beneath her feet transformed into beautiful unbroken mahogany, shining as though they had only been polished within the past hour. With a gasp, she whipped her head upwards and gaped in astonishment at the beauty and wonder that surrounded her.

Vibrant paintings encased in golden frames hung from the walls that were painted to resemble marble, golden chandeliers dangled from the ceiling, a pearlescent candle perfectly centred in each fixing, each flame flickering gently, and… her wide eyes stared curiously into an adjacent room, tears forming from each corner, as she heard the delicate tunes of a piano being played, the fragile tune pierced her heart and near brought her to her knees as the gentle melodies danced about her and seemed to enter her very soul.

All had been forgotten as she stood within this sacred moment of time, tears rolling down her cheeks, mouth agape, heartbeat slowing as her body relaxed; her recently deceased aunt that she had never known, the disdainful glances she had passed over the dilapidated building, the thoughts of demolition, her money troubles, all had vanished as the piano’s tranquil music swirled out from within that other room.

After what was possibly hours, the music finally stopped and she regained control of her self, of her thoughts. That music had been absolutely incredible! She must discover who had been playing such an enchanting tune!

Without any further thought, she ran into the adjacent room and near fell as she tripped over an intricate maroon rug that lay across the floor, seated upon which lay a grand piano, a man upon the bench, his back to her, his auburn hair a shambles across his shoulders.

She could hear the smile in his voice as he spoke gently, his head slightly lowered though his back remained facing towards her, the smooth tones of his words washing over her.

“My dear girl, whatever took you so long?”

Immediately captivated by the warmth of the man’s voice, she felt completely at ease as she asked the man.

“Who are you?”

He laughed softly, a light chuckle that seemed to hover in the air about him, and instead of responding to her question, he lightly began to press his fingers down upon the keys, a strangely ethereal tune forming as his fingers caressed each key, each note moving her in ways she never before imagined as her ears intently listened, drawn to the music.

As he played the otherworldly melody, his gentle voice spoke once more, hypnotising her as his words floated above the soft tune. “Who I am is of no concern, alas, dear girl, why ever did you come here? What brought you to this time and place I set aside so very long ago?”

“I-I… an Aunt left a property for me, in her will… she died…”

“Ahh, dear girl, indeed, I see…”

He abruptly slammed both hands down upon the keys of the piano, the sudden loudness of the notes reverberated around the room, glass shattered, the chandeliers fell from the ceiling and broke her from her trance as she jumped and quickly wrapped her arms about herself, shivering, now aware of a strange chill enveloping her, an unnatural coolness that had been wrapping itself about her for some time, icy beads of frozen sweat glued to the tiny hairs that covered her body.

The man seated at the piano slowly turned around, his auburn hair moving about in twists and turns every which way as he performed his slow and deliberate movement, until finally, his grinning face stared up at her and all she could see was her own, her icy flesh keeping her frozen in place as she stared in horror at her own face. Her green eyes glittering, her face contorted and twisted in ways not humanly possible, and the male voice that came once more from her own feminine, heart-shaped, mouth was both disconcerting and horrifying as the man spoke one last time.

“I consider Lady Ellandra’s debt repaid. Welcome home, my girl.”

edit on 1 8 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

This is awesome!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Wow!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang
I am glad that you liked it
and thank you for the subject matter... it was different writing outside my usual thought process.

a reply to: Night Star
*waves*!
Is that a good wow? *shifty eyes*

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
That grabbed me! Really unexpected! Great build-up.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Well written, i enjoyed reading that.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso and awareness10

Thank you both!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

What beautiful writing and I appreciate it so much. And the dedication, so appropriate. Have a Mystical Day

Peace and Love

KD

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: thenightisours

The story was his suggestion
and as such, only right to dedicate to him at the start!

Thank you for reading it!

edit on 1 8 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Now this is a story. Great job.😊
S&F😉

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Yes it was indeed a good wow!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link