It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would I be profiled if I download app to read Quran?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
First off, I have no idea where to post this, lol.

My question is if I would be profiled for reading the Quran. I believe in creation but I have no religion. I have read most of the Bible but have been afraid to read the Quran since 9/11 in fear of being profiled. I just like to read. I read about everything at least a little bit almost everyday. Heh, but I just cannot get myself to read the Quran out of fear of being labeled a potential terrorist. I read a few pages from an app years ago then deleted the app out of fear. I am a peaceful modern hippie. In no way would I subscribe to radical Islam, but I would like to quench my thirst of curiosity concerning this book. So, like I said, my question is should, or rather, could I read it???
edit on 31/7/2016 by Gyo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Gyo01

How exactly would you get 'profiled'? You plan on shouting to passersby, 'Hey, I'm reading the Koran!'?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No, I meant being profiled by the government. Sorry, I am usually more specific, heh.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gyo01
No, I meant being profiled by the government.

And how would the government know you are reading a book? You plan on calling the FBI to tell them?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Of course not. That's crazy paranoia.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

No, I meant being profiled by the government. Sorry, I am usually more specific, heh.

That would depend on where you are and who is running the government.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Everyone on the internet is profiled, to think otherwise is to your own detriment.

Google analytics.

link   

I own a beautiful copy of the Quran given to my husband as a gift by a Kuwaiti official when he was in the first gulf conflict and was station in Saudi Arabia.

The copy is both English and Arab, translation, you can get one in any religious store or can order them online.

Books are something that I always feel, should be treasured no matter their content.

Your fear of been profiled is unfounded and very silly.

link   

I am pretty sure the know what everone buys or downloads with a precise algorithm. No need for a human overseer until flagged I think...

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I am pretty sure the know what everone buys or downloads with a precise algorithm.

Seriously? I think worrying about reading a book is the least of your issues.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I don't think anyone would care if you download the Quran. Now, if you were to download the Quran AND also download instructions for making bombs... someone might have an issue with that.

Gin

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
If it worries you so then download the app through a proxy or VPN, then build a Faraday cage and read it inside there.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I don't think anyone can answer you truthfully.

I think the real question is "Does the government or alike go out of their way to track people that read the Quran?"

I'd bet "no".

Most people that read the Quran aren't nuts. Each religion has it's dumbasses and Islam might have a higher percentage (or more publicity?) but there's still so many people that read it, I don't think if they even bothered to track something like that it'd be too useful.

There's also a matter of the operating system (iOS, Android, etc) you are using an app on, whether it encrypts your traffic, whether the app encrypts traffic, whether the operating system's creators/phone company would work with the government and what sort of internet connection you're using. Each of these affect whether it's even possible for the government to track.

I think it'd be too much work for the return.

I read the bible and quran online. I also read the vedas and countless other texts.
Can't say I've noticed anything funny and I'm really not worried about being profiled for that.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LostThePlot

Eh, paranoid people are sometimes the safest. Heh. Nothing wrong with trying to stay out of harms way. I know it is silly, but in a way also sound.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Lol

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: OfTheVoid46

Thanks. Never heard of Vedas. I learned something today.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
You were 100% clear until you wrote this thread.
Now they know that you're considering your options.
It's literally too late to be unnoticed now.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If you're that concerned Gyo, go to your local mosque and ask for a copy.

It will be free of charge and free of database profiling.

The only person who will know you have it will be the Imam.
& they're unlikely to shop you to the CIA.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Lol. Do I have to live in the woods now?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
No. Many, many Americans have read the Koran in recent years out of curiosity and research, including me. (Well, as much as I can take of reading anything like that.)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join