It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people proud of being 'old-fashioned'?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

THAT'S ANCIENT not old fashioned....

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Back in my day

Civics was a class you took in high school. Sex ed wasn't.

You were far more afraid of a girl's father than you were of the police.

You spent the summer outdoors. Built stuff with the neighbor kids. Tree houses. Skateboard ramps. secret forts in the woods. Catapults. Swings over a pond. lemonade stands.

If you were a teenager, and you were lucky, you got hired at the grocery to bag groceries and stock the shelves. Otherwise you got a job working in a machine shop or on a farm.

Cashiers at the grocery were well paid, because they did the math on the register, and had to know the prices. It was a position of trust, and they were your boss if you were a stocker.

You didn't recycle stuff, but you re-used everything. Grocery sacks were paper and became garbage bags afterward. We re-used nails. Newspapers became cleaning supplies and packing material. I worked on a farm with an outhouse behind the barn. The toilet paper was old Sears catalogs.

If you acted like an idiot in the store, a stranger might ask you mom if she needed him to whip your butt. It took a village all right.

School had a dress code, and so did the Dairy Queen. Nobody went to the store in their pajamas and house slippers.

Basically, the community had not been replaced by mass culture. You were responsible to the community, and they were responsible for you. When someone's house burned, the whole town helped them clean it up and rebuild.

One time the neighbors went on vacation to California. Their mom told my mom, "we left the back door unlocked, just in case you need to borrow something while we're away."

That's old fashioned. A different world.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Profusion
People are deluded into thinking they're special and better than others. They aren't. They're different but not special or better. Just different.

Still, I would choose a US soldier over an IS one any day, that choice doesn't make me perfect but better than someone choosing IS. Not special because there are lots who would choose the US army over IS but different and better. If only because one has a bigger chance to eventually make it out into space than the other, which has zero chances, or the technology to make life better instead of getting nowhere.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join