It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Oliver and the Republican National Convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
John Oliver discovers "feelings can be facts" while analyzing Republican speakers at the 2016 National Convention.

When we treat feelings as facts, we use those feelings to selectively look for facts to back us up.

Hilarious as always.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
That's about it in a nutshell.

And these "feelings" they're spreading around...well that's dishonest and pretty much a disservice to us all. They dwell on the negative and won't celebrate a single positive. And despite all the rhetoric, there have been plenty of positives.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Constantly I'm hearing that BLM is legitimate because "black people FEEL they're being disenfranchised".

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

John Oliver can be funny, but his liberal bias gets old and being an ATS member for years means you see all the holes in his arguments. He is a good entertainer for sure and I enjoy when he talks about things other than politics.

His 'feelings' arguments are as usual full of holes and are for entertainment purposes only. Hopefully he will do something funny on the DNC too so it won't feel like I am just watching a Hillary shill.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I like his non political stuff and some of it is downright hilarious(His episode on fantasy football is the best one to date, IMO, loved it).

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Can you enlighten us on those "holes"?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Oliver is pretty funny, i watched it yesterday, good old gop with there feelings, this the the same people who come out with BLM is the new KKK, SJW used to insult people. The 21st is the plight of the poor white man.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'll have to disagree with him on a couple of points.

For one, a lot of the economy is more about "the feels" than the facts. Something happens, people "feel", and poof, hundreds of billions of dollars "vanish" from the stock market. What would happen to the economy if a couple of hundred million people "feel" that the dollar is worthless?

Second, the Democrats are just as guilty of using "the feels" over the facts. Especially when it comes to issues like gun control and illegal immigration.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I'll have to disagree with him on a couple of points.

For one, a lot of the economy is more about "the feels" than the facts. Something happens, people "feel", and poof, hundreds of billions of dollars "vanish" from the stock market. What would happen to the economy if a couple of hundred million people "feel" that the dollar is worthless?

Second, the Democrats are just as guilty of using "the feels" over the facts. Especially when it comes to issues like gun control and illegal immigration.

I think the joke is that people on the right make fun and bully SJW for there feelings, thats why im lovin it.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Oliver is pretty funny, i watched it yesterday, good old gop with there feelings, this the the same people who come out with BLM is the new KKK, SJW used to insult people. The 21st is the plight of the poor white man.

You sound like a bigoted, racist, xenophobe.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The feeling argument have have a hole in it but Newt sure plugged a large part of it.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobotBomb

You sound like a bigoted, racist, xenophobe.

Lol, you sure about that son.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I think the joke is that people on the right make fun and bully SJW for there feelings, thats why im lovin it.

Yep. That's the entire joke he was making. One party claims that it's based on logic and reason while the other side uses emotion and feelings, yet that same party makes their policy stances based on feeling.

It's because politics isn't about facts, it's about emotion.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Every single political topic he discusses is pro-left and anti-right. It almost seems like the media is a left wing propaganda machine. I wish we could find something that would prove that the media is controlled and biased.

I am so happy that the DNC leaks came out. It is so nice to have validation after being called a "conspiracy theorist" for all of these years.

Vindication!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Typical GOP, bring feelings to a fact fight. LOL

I noticed that is how they debate or argue, facts are not their friends and but they do love their lies, spin or cherry picking of facts.

edit on 25-7-2016 by shredderofsouls because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I seriously dislike Oliver. It's not even his politics, he just reminds me of an unfunny shy kid that tells a joke, gets some laughs and then considers himself a comedian and won't stop trying too hard. I don't agree with a lot of people but still think they're funny, not Oliver.
edit on 2520160720161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
British comedian

Democrats look to him for wisdom

Says a lot

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnknownQuantity
British comedian

Democrats look to him for wisdom

Says a lot

Yeah, I know right, how dare he attack the GOP with facts.
Facts are the bane of the GOP existence.

edit on 26-7-2016 by shredderofsouls because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I seriously dislike Oliver. It's not even his politics, he just reminds me of an unfunny shy kid that tells a joke, gets some laughs and then considers himself a comedian and won't stop trying too hard. I don't agree with a lot of people but still think they're funny, not Oliver.

On the other hand, I think Oliver is hilarious. Jon Stewart was the best, and while Colbert had his moments I never cared for him much. John Oliver has the whole social/political commentary niche nailed. I do wish he would focus less on the election like he originally said though.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Winstonian

Every single political topic he discusses is pro-left and anti-right. It almost seems like the media is a left wing propaganda machine. I wish we could find something that would prove that the media is controlled and biased.

I am so happy that the DNC leaks came out. It is so nice to have validation after being called a "conspiracy theorist" for all of these years.

Vindication!

He's definitely liberal but I wouldn't say he's unbalanced. He does offer numerous counterpoints in most of his episodes. Even in this one he pointed out that the democrats do the same thing. There's a bias in who he picked on, but he wasn't making the point that this behavior is exclusive to one party.

new topics

top topics

join