It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark matter detector detects nothing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Source: phys.org...

The Large Underground Xenon (LUX) dark matter experiment, the most sensitive detector yet, produced no dark matter signal over its final 20-month run.

Although given the goal "to clearly detect (or exclude) WIMPS with a spin independent cross section per nucleon of 2×10−46 cm2, equivalent to ∼1 event/100 kg/month", it should be seen as a (success).

edit on 25-7-2016 by moebius because: fix typo

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
More supporting evidence for the Electric Universe stating that the unaccounted mass is plasma in dark mode and its forces of electrostatic attraction.

edit on 2016 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius
As with anything else, give it time.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The even bigger and better sucessor, 70 times as sensitive, has already been approved.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

That's sad. Why don't we just send a probe to where dark matter bends light? Get a closer look? Too far?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy
More supporting evidence for the Electric Universe stating that the unaccounted mass is plasma in dark mode and its forces of electrostatic attraction.

The Electric Universe is a silly joke targeting ignorant and thus "open minded" people.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy

No, not in the slightest. Thank you for playing.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
The even bigger and better sucessor, 70 times as sensitive, has already been approved.

Exactly. Look how long particle accelerators/colliders searched for the elusive Higgs-Boson till the LHC came along and (in all probability) found it. Next on the list - Dark matter/dark energy.Great breakthroughs into the knowledge of the universe are on the way. I hope to see some of them

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
More ... costly ... unscientific ... science.

I firmly believe programs like this should only receive funding through efforts like Kickstarter. I'm sick of my tax dollars going to waste.

Darkmatter - that's about the dumbest ...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Perhaps it is a bit pre-emptive to say it but maybe there is no such thing as dark matter?

Still, look how long it took us to detect gravitational waves!

None the less, such a stunning non-detection should drive more theorization!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

It doesn't support the electric universe any more than it proves or disproves exotic WIMPs.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

The Electric Universe is a silly joke targeting ignorant and thus "open minded" people.

This just shows a lack of knowledge in plasma physics. Places like electric universe combine two things to come up with this dark plasma theory. They use birland currents which by the way isn't plasma. It's the flow of electrons caused by plasma arcs. Think of a neon light when you turn it on you see a low glow. Add more electricity and it starts to arc and provide light. The other thing they confuse is something called Faraday dark space Faraday dark space. This is basically an area in plasma which electrons can't flow through usually because electrons form an area where electrons have built a wall flowing thr current around the area.

But this happens in all plasmas and isn't missing at all we are aware it occurs and it's counted in estimates of mass since that is based on gravitational influence. The sun has the areas as well just because they don't emit light doesn't mean we don't count the plasma. For examale even our sun the plasma extends further than just what we see as the surface. If it didn't we wouldn't get solar flares. EU prays on the scientific illeterate and counts on them to buy there books and read there articles. EU was studied as an idea they don't tell you this but through scientific experiments has been disproven. But EU wants you to believe that modern cosmology doesn't include plasma physics it does every cosmological is aware the sun is made of plasma along with everything we see in the universe

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   

so you are eros.
tho i had predicted you cant detect dark matter in our 3 spatial dimensions, as dark matter resides in the time domain.
the only way to detect is to dilate time on a tabletop.
as i had said earlier, bring your detectors to me and i will detect for you not only dark matter but dark energy also

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   

From what I have been led to understand of dark matter, there was never any reason to suppose that detecting it by hoping that it would collide with regular matter was workable in the first place.

Dark matter effects regular matter by way of its exertion of indirect force, not being in direct physical contact with regular matter, which I was led to believe simply does not happen. As far as I understand it, dark matter does not actually touch regular matter in the traditional sense, and so could never have collided with ANY regular matter in a detectable fashion.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
More ... costly ... unscientific ... science.

I firmly believe programs like this should only receive funding through efforts like Kickstarter. I'm sick of my tax dollars going to waste.

Darkmatter - that's about the dumbest ...

It's invisible too.

How about that!

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
So guys, there is to much text in here for me to understand where the theories start and what actually does exist.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
So guys, there is to much text in here for me to understand where the theories start and what actually does exist.

Now I was thinking that either side of this sentence is a lifetime's study, and the OP's thread title sums it up, but I'm an old school draftsman with a warped imagination, so my favorite part is "to clearly detect (or exclude) WIMPS with a spin independent cross section."

...Sorry, I'm feeling a tad mischievous...and I saw some people here I admire...so with a wince, this wimp will exclude herself and silently swim away...

Fishy

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

If that were the case then this experiment would never have taken place. Science needs to progress, not stay stagnant.
And how much tax dollars are really being used?
What, less than 2 dollars of your yearly salary on average? Probably even less, most of the money is from investors.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

From what I have been led to understand of dark matter, there was never any reason to suppose that detecting it by hoping that it would collide with regular matter was workable in the first place.

Dark matter effects regular matter by way of its exertion of indirect force, not being in direct physical contact with regular matter, which I was led to believe simply does not happen. As far as I understand it, dark matter does not actually touch regular matter in the traditional sense, and so could never have collided with ANY regular matter in a detectable fashion.

Does this mean the inability to detect it proves its existence?

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Maybe Tesla's Dynamic Theory of Gravity is on the right path and Dark Matter/Energy are out!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join