It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama slams Trump speech: Can't make decisions based on fear

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: UnBreakable
I'm 56. My job was eliminated last year. I worked full-time for 33 years. I've been looking and networking for a job. I'm putting a daughter thru college, luckily I was able to get my son thru college before I lost my job. I want to work. I'm embarrassed being unemployed as I always possessed an excellent work ethic. Now when I apply I'm competing with at least 100 others for a $30,000/yr job. I've applied for part time, temporary, 3rd shift, everything but nada. I must be living in a different world than the Nirvana some people claim.

What were you doing for a living?

Financial Systems Analyst for an insurance company. 25+ years with the same company. Apparently they're a dime a dozen here in Philly area. There's definitely an age bias out there. Why hire someone in their mid-fifties when you can hire someone in their mid-twenties that are up-to-date on newer technology and cheaper salary and bennies (I'm not even demanding a high salary, I've applied for entry level positions too). I can't blame hiring managers though. I'd go for the younger candidate also. I've applied for blue collar jobs too. I just want to work. I got a year severance and it ends this month. I won't even apply for unemployment benefits. It's too embarrassing for me. I've never asked for a dime since I was 16 and I'm not going to start now.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Be blind if you want to but it's obvious that things in this country have improved dramatically since Obama took office.
Lower unemployment, strong auto industry

Well I don't have to make a list that will be ignored. He has the highest approval rating of his term right now.

And I don't know about where you live but there are not people running through the streets screaming in chaos where I am.

Here it's July and people are enjoying Virginia beach waves and the outer banks shoreline.
They're driving the Shanendoah parkway enjoying the cool of the mountains. Kids are chasing the ice cream truck and the bells still ring from the church steeples on Sunday morning.

My neighbors dog still barks at everything that moves. Status quo.

I swear sometimes that trump is using the law of attraction to bring down American moral.
It's almost classic technique.

Yeah, and elsewhere it's July and wars are raging, people are hurt and dying, and it's a direct result of American policy. "Here things are fine so everything's fine" is no argument. This is the sort of solipsism that causes people around the world to despise Americans. None of us should feel so content with marginal domestic improvements when things have gotten objectively worse for many people outside the U.S.

Just as well, we must have different standards of improvement. From where I'm sitting, things are getting crazier by the day. This summer alone has been an incorrigable mess where human well-being is concerned.

Though it's ridiculous to blame one man. Recent world events are on a set course, seemingly inevitable; things are set to continue this way regardless of which figureheads are dangled before us to praise or blame.
edit on 22-7-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well of course he would, he is beyond belief criminal who needs arresting, and yet he dares to speak up when the media poll must have shocked them all when 73% approval poured in for his speech. It's considered the best in US history for a nominee by many.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: neo96

That is priceless, when the Dems are pushing the fear of Trump as their only option. They sure as hell can't run on Hillary's record! "But just think of what Trump MIGHT do if elected"

CNN, one of the biggest bashers of Trump, may sound worthy of thought when unchallenged on their studio set echo chamber, but take a look at this black Trump supporter putting a CNN reporter in his place.

I love this guy, he is my new hero.

I saw Trump's speech as a very positive thing for this Country and a reason to HOPE again.

Whether he can live up to that remains to be seen, but we sure as hell know that Hillary is going to triple down on Obama's policies.

Funny stuff, I wonder who that reporter pissed off back at the office to send him down there with those questions.

lol! "Just doing my job"

But yes, Obama can't say a thing about Trump that would be worse than himself.

He and Hillary messed up the world.

At least with GW it was only Iraq and Afghanistan. Sheesh and Obama and Hillary blew that one too.

Domestically, things haven't gotten any better, just worse.

I'm 62 and never seen this much stuff going on.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
a reply to: UnBreakable

remember when obama said mass shootings only happen in america

Well I think he only meant white privileged American nut jobs, not international jihadi terrorist mass shooting attacks.

So there is that.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Financial Systems Analyst for an insurance company. 25+ years with the same company. Apparently they're a dime a dozen here in Philly area. There's definitely an age bias out there. Why hire someone in their mid-fifties when you can hire someone in their mid-twenties that are up-to-date on newer technology and cheaper salary and bennies (I'm not even demanding a high salary, I've applied for entry level positions too). I can't blame hiring managers though. I'd go for the younger candidate also. I've applied for blue collar jobs too. I just want to work. I got a year severance and it ends this month. I won't even apply for unemployment benefits. It's too embarrassing for me. I've never asked for a dime since I was 16 and I'm not going to start now.

You should take unemployment, it's not a welfare program. Your employer paid into it for your benefit out of revenue that you earned them, and if you take it a step further you paid for it because if those wages didn't go into unemployment you would have had gotten them, instead of only getting them conditionally.

Anyways, have you considered looking in the large financial hubs? I don't know your list of skills or really have a detailed understanding of what a financial systems analyst does but I do know that banks are looking for people left and right, the financial sector is rapidly growing. If you want to stay where you are, have you considered related industries? Analysis skills can readily transfer from one sector to another if it's all about making projections based on numbers and using office software.

Finding a job can definitely be rough but maybe you're going about it the wrong way. Part of getting employed is selling yourself. In my case I can apply for entry level positions because my work history is sparse but in your case you have a career to use as a selling point. Going for an entry level position with a career of higher level work just makes it look like you don't have confidence in yourself, and the same is true for asking for a lower salary. Perhaps these things are why you're having trouble.

Let me give an analogy, if you buy a nice piece of merchandise from a reputable name brand vendor you're expecting a certain level of quality for the money you pay. But if you buy that same merchandise from some guy on the street you're either expecting it to be a fake or defective. If you ask for a significantly lower salary than what your company is used to, the hiring manager is going to think the same thing. In an interview you're selling yourself and coming across as cheap can also come across as low quality. Companies want to hire quality, not someone lesser that will make an expensive mistake.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Thanks, I see what you mean. I try to walk a fine line between over pricing myself out of a job and staying competitive. I actually talked to a career consultant who told me that jobs that paid, say, $50,000 ten years ago now pay @ $42,000. There's so many people applying for the same job that someone will do it for $42,000 instead of $50,000 out of desperation. It's an employers market. My problem was I was never a high level executive because I never kissed ass or played the office politics game. In retrospect, I guess I should have.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

The wage for a job is going down, but it's in younger employees where it's declining. Someone who has 25 years of experience can still command a premium wage. Lets just put that in perspective, you've spent longer doing what you do than some of their potential new hires have been alive.

This is something I've only recently come to realize actually. For years I've struggled to get independent work, part time jobs, internships and so on. Finally, I realized after reading many other peoples thoughts it's that I sell myself too low.

I've written numerous times here about how wages are all just a game, that initial wage you ask for is just another step in the process. Part of getting hired is to make yourself seem like the best candidate and with that comes some confidence in the quality of your work which gets reflected in the wage. It's your prospective employers job to talk you down from that number and get their company a deal.

That said, done properly this can help any individual get a job but there's still only 1 job out there for every 100 people looking for work so it's certainly not some magic solution to get everyone hired.

Another thing you could try doing is redefining your career path, if you weren't management you could try shooting for that. Sell yourself to companies as a technical manager. It has been my experience that there's two types of management and a responsible company wants both. They want the business managers who focus on soft skills, and then they want the technical managers who have come up through the ranks of the jobs they're managing and can provide expertise on a subject. Looking for those sorts of roles might help you expand your job search.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ah, nevermind.
edit on 22-7-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Well, Gore really got the fear hypocrisy rolling on the left. He was fond of saying Bush played on our fears. He then went on a fear-mongering climate change tour.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

No it's not but like I said be blind.
No one will ever be able to effect a peace over the planet. No one... ever. Not even that maniac trump. But he'll have you believing he can. He can't. He can't make any of his stupid claims happen.
He is not god.
So please don't lay the world's worries at America's feet. There will always be war, there will always be hungry people, there will always be troubles. No one person can fix it and America is not to blame for all the world's problems.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

How is Hillary in there again?? Pssst she not president.

Yet.

I love that trump attributes so much power to her already though.
Go Donnie boy.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

That's the best you got? Land under water.
I'm from N.Y. dude. let me know if you need a bridge.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Why are you bringing up Trump? I haven't once, ever, typed that man's name in any of my posts here (excepting just now). And yet here you are, drawing him from thin air.

I can and will lay many of the worlds troubles at America's feet until she ceases being directly involved. It doesn't matter if there will always be wars. Does that exempt the U.S. from any blame, simply because someone else would do it if it weren't us? Again, that's no argument. It's like saying a thief shouldn't be blamed because there will always be more thieves.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
" "Obama slams Trump speech: Can't make decisions based on fear" "

So now we have the Democrats making big decisions based on their fear of the email scandal.

Irony Obama Irony.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Well I hope the dems take Obama's advice

marylandreporter.com...

Or wait, nevermind.. it's OK to fear monger as long as you're a Democrat

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Obama is only admitting what we know.. He makes decisions in the best interests of donors, not fear. He is not afraid of the chaos it causes at all because he is protected. I think he is just having a hard time understanding why someone would not be pandering to corporate lobbyists.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join