It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self defense training?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

2-3 sounds like it would be great.

I had a few type 2 AC separations just short of tears and partial labrum tears both times.

Both of those took 7 months to heal and I couldn't throw a proper jab for over a year and my strength and speed never returned to the same level.

I got armbarred the first time I lost professionally and I had to take over a year off and didn't get full use of my cross back for well over a year.

Career enders as well as my drinking habit that developed during those time periods, drinking and poor decision making.

Those are the worst injuries I've ever gotten besides small broken bones which are normal so I don't count them.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

FYI someone with a lot of practical real time experience either hard sparring (fighting) or actual compete at a higher level would never hurt you showing you something because they have the experience applying the techniques properly in order to know how much force to use.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

6 months ago in my kickboxing class I got a jones fracture on my foot. It twisted so bad I heard the bone break. I went to get X-ray three bones broke. I know how you feel. They cannot cast your foot.

I am enjoying your posts here.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Oh jees how did that happen whats your experience?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Also that's a common injury during live training but unusual for heavybag/ drilling.

I have probably racked up 30-40 broken bones and noses total over 14 years. Between Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai it's unending. I just got used to it and train with a lot of tape now.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

10 years kickboxing with a black belt and Gracie jiu jitsu blue belt.

I was warming up and stepped on the side of my foot. Out for 3 months. It was awful. I do like jiu jitsu we learn how to fight on the ground. As you know it is not good to fight on the ground.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Oh wow so you already know then.

That's weird that it happened that way. Sucks.

Jiu Jitsu is great for competition but what it really is is plan X incase the rest of the plans like running away does not work.

Do you spar/ have you had any fights??
edit on 7/21/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I am happy your ok, you have been through a lot. My girlfriends ex came up to me a few weeks ago and was acting crazy. I never want to fight. So I warned him to not touch me. Lol. As he went for my throat I took him down and chocked him out.

He wanted more after I let him up. So side kicked his knee.
edit on 7 21 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

We learned to not fight run away or talk your way out of it. Just spar in class I have never had a real kick boxing match. A girl 120 pound got me really good the other night in our Jiu Jitsu class.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Lol.

It does come in handy.

I will run away from a fight if I can I learned my lesson the hard way.

My ears were the size of baseballs and I had a main event fight at the Orange County fairgrounds in front of 6,500 people 3 weeks before so I was invincible. I hit this guy 1 time and I didn't even hit him that hard but I was drunk and acting like a moron ruining my career which was exploding at the time. Assault with a deadly weapon and great bodily injury for 8 fractures and a broken orbital.

Oh the police saw my ears and looked me up on Sherdog and watched my Youtube videos so they added that in the police report and the judge told me I got what the least was I was going to get so take the plea bargain or go to trial.

That's what I deserved.

While I was sitting in jail for that six months I was suppose to fight for Strikeforce in Sept 08 at the last fight they ever had at the Playboy mansion, lost out on 22k and sponsorships that were like massive blessings.

I also had the opportunity to fight on Affliction 2, and 3 but the guys at 170 wanted nothing to do with me (JJ Ambrose and Bret Cooper, or Brent I forget) but guess what? They didn't want anything to do with me after that so I missed out on 3.

Then after I got out of jail I had no sponsors and no form of income nowhere to live or anything, start from scratch.
edit on 7/21/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

www.sherdog.com...

This is the card I was suppose to fight on.

www.sherdog.com...

This is the guy I was suppose to fight.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Oh my I am sorry that happened to you. Six months is a long time. So you were big time. That is amazing. I am happy you are ok. I always think of you as one of the smartest people here and not many could disagree.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Wow that is big time, you would have taken him out!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

Oh my I am sorry that happened to you. Six months is a long time. So you were big time. That is amazing. I am happy you are ok. I always think of you as one of the smartest people here and not many could disagree.

No quiet I was climbing the ranks, you don't make it unless you make it.

Just because you have the talent doesn't mean anything.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Carry a two by four.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Wow that would suck. I don't have to jab, but I do have to wrestle 1000+ lb animals on the end of a lead rope. I hope this heals up quicker than what you are describing. I'm not sure what an AC separation is, but I'm sorry it ended up that way for you.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Oh no don't apologize because my retarded choices did all the work for me.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Spend a lot of time hanging out in redneck bars.
You will eventually learn how to handle yourself.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yeah, I'm fully aware that I need to try and absorb as much as possible from my instructor--he's currently in Dallas finishing up the Martial Arts Hall of Fame (teaching some seminars along side Bustillo and others). And I'll tell ya, the s**t that man (my instructor) can do with joint locks and pressure-point techniques really makes me disappointed when he uses me as a demonstration dummy--and I swear, around that guy, I feel like a dummy constantly. But, I always ask the "why" questions, and he loves that, but it lands me as a demonstration dummy quite often.

You know, I joined up in his school and didn't know much about martial arts--I sure think that I hit the lottery with him and his knowledge and the lineage from which he learned and teaches.

Also, yes, I hear Danny Inosanto's name quite a bit, so that would be under whom he studies for the kali.

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Inosanto is a living legend.

Being the uki can suck. Back in high school my then martial arts instructor was giving a live aikido demonstration on the local public access program. In our hurry to get to the studio we forgot to pack his wooden knife he would use in the knife attack survival demo. The studio had a hard cement floor and we didnt have any matts or carpeting to throw down to cushion the poor ukis falls. So were going "oh crap masters knife where is it!" the master looks around the set and grabs a sharp 8" french chefs knife from the corner kitchenette and basically says "f it this will do" the poor guy going at the master with the knife had bright red aching palms from breaking his fall on the concrete. I remember all of us just standing on the side watching his hands turn beat red wincing everytime we heard them slap the cement. But the master never did get a scratch while avoiding those unchoreographed knife attacks from a live blade.

Sometimes its fun to be the fall guy. Same master would sometimes pair me up with this one really cute girl when we were doing womens self defence demonstrations. Id do a bear hug or something and then she'd manhandle me to floor or put me in some kinda wrist lock for cheering spectators. At least at 14 and discovering girls it seemed like an ok gig for me.

Yeah being the guy having a lock flow put on them sucks sometimes.

Youve got a great teacher it sounds. But he will never be as good as my teacher. These days i study ameri-do-te under a truly exceptional master. In fact everything ive learned up to studying with him turned out to be bull ####.

Heres a link to a seminar he gave. I follow this guys teaching almost religiously.

m.youtube.com...
edit on 23-7-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join