It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self defense training?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I practice with my cane. Once a week I go outside and wave my cane in the air and shout

"GET OFF MY LAWN YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS" at the 55 year olds. (*)

They never listen.

(55+ community)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Learn what you can from any system you can.

Taking up classes in a martial art is always a good thing, but the aim isn't to become a clone, you take from an art what works for you.

For me there are 3 types of fight...the first is the most common and it's over in under a minute. In these types of situation it's typically the aggressor that wins as it's often random and there's no build-up or warning, it just happens. The only real defense is to be aware of your situation and be able to read people.

Most of us have seen and learned enough to know when something or someone is off, it's not that we don't see it but often that we ignore those gut instincts. Those types of situation require speed, reflexes and quick, powerful counters.

Next type of fight is the one that goes to the ground, if two folks go toe to toe this is likely - core body strength is what will win if you're on the ground. Knowing where to dig your sharp bits is more useful than you realise...dig your chin between vertebrae, elbow into throat, all that stuff helps immenseley.

Third type is the type where two people go ahead and it lasts forever, sometimes there are even rounds, and the crowds gather to regulate and referee the fight. I had some of these, mostly with friends and my brother.

In terms of what I found most useful, most honesty - boxing. It's simple, direct and helps build that core strength.

You can release power quickly and efficiently if you have to, but you will build stamina to last the third type of fight...the long fights tend to go kinda funny when people lose power. They get tired, but good boxers tend to last the pace, I don't kick much, if I do it's low.

Fists, elbows and head for most part. You can't go wrong with boxing, even though it's a one on one sport, the footwork alone is invaluable.

But in the end I was always quite enamoured by chinese martial arts, the various schools and styles of what we westerners call kung fu. It's mesmerising, and can be effective. I'd rather watch...pretty.
edit on 21-7-2016 by samerulesapply because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Yeah just spent 30 minutes typing a multi point post regarding a lot of posts in this thread and the damned thing dissapeared into the aether. You know when you got a multi paragraph post your typing with links n all and you go to look at a seperate window to get a link o sonething cone back to your ATS window and it arbitrarily. Reloads window and erases every damned thing you just spent a bunch of time typing.

Maybe ill take the time to type it all out again later today.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

My school

I figure a link to my school, where my instructor explains things pretty well, is better than me trying to answer questions to which I don't always have the answer. You are obviously far more knowledgeable in the numerous arts out there--I'm just lucky to get in what I can, what with a full-time job and a "tween" and a two-year-old at home. I do know, though, that my instructor is absolutely the real deal.

Sigung Bustillo is actually coming to our school this year in October (and he's giving a free self-defense class to women the night before the classes start...I thought that was really cool). We also have Professor Jak Othman coming next month to give a seminar on Pencak Silat bladed weapons. Sadly, I'm going to miss both of those, as I'm taking time off starting next month on a mission to get out of debt. It sucks.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Thats a bummer your going to miss guru Othman. Hes legit. Youd probably enjoy his seminar.

Looked at the school and the silat page has a nice ensemble of pisu, kerambit, keris and evan a kujang! Nice.

Didnt say what silat he kbows and teaches but if its in association with jeet kun do chances are he studied under inosantos system...very, very legit. So theres probably some silek tua, cimande, pdt/vdt serak some harimau. All good stuff. And mean too.

Noticed your escrima is from the cocoy doce pares liniage. Again cant do better than that. Its ine of the more respected arnis lineages. I still do sayaw #1. Beautiful arcos and redondos even a few florete and payong techniques in that routine. Feels like it has heavy spanish and italian rapier work influenced in it. I love it!

edit on 21-7-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Seriously bro your school has a lot of variety even the original (as bruce lee taught it) jun fan system. Ps. Bruce spent a lot of time studying and exploring silat, kuntau and kali under inosanto and lou reeder. Id suck it all up like a sponge if i were you. If i werent broke as a joje id pay for your othman seminar for you. As it is your in kentuky. There are some great instructors in south east asian martial arts that are from around there. I can think of great gurus worth taking seminars from from ohio to murfreesburough to chicago to charelston

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have 14 years of experience with Muay Thai and Boxing and 9 years of experience in MMA and BJJ with a hefty amateur and professional fighting resume.

Start with Boxing and BJJ, then as you learn the basics of boxing, footwork, headmovement, strategy and proper technique like turning your hips over transition into Muay Thai. I would say this after about 1-2 years.

Once you hit blue belt in BJJ start working on your takedowns and focus on the single and double, mix in a lot of grecco but when you get a solid single and double against someone not trained they will not be able to defend.

Now learn to get up off the ground or learn to pass guard. Master these 2 things.

Once you do that you can transfer to Krav Maga. I figure you take about 2-5 years depending on your level of advancement before you start Krav Maga because fighting is a big part of it and without those skills Krav Maga is useless.

Jiu Jitus is ONLY a good self defense art IF you end up on the ground.

NEVER go to the ground in a self defense situation unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Trust me I have more experience in this then I want to discuss.
edit on 7/21/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Don't forget the cheap shots and street psychology.'
If you're being robbed drop a handful of cash on the ground.
Inevitably their eyes will look down giving you an opportunity to strike or run.
Kicks to the groin and eye gouges are very effective regardless of your size or theirs.
If you're on the ground with them throw dirt in their eyes or give them a solid head butt to the nose.

I've talked my way out of many a bad spot, not sure what the trick was but it's better to avoid a fight than engage at all. Still better to avoid all conflict by practicing situational awareness at all times.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Bas Rutten is hilarious.

Don't learn his techniques but his strategy is hilarious and accurate!!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I had in-law relatives here a few weeks ago. His wife has a kubotan on her key chain and they were just excited about this thing. He decided to demonstrate how it can be used on me... Without warning me... He is a big guy. I am a small woman. He tore the ligaments in my wrist and not in a small way. Long story short, I get that being prepared is good, but if you are into this make sure that you actually know what you are doing before you decide that you are an expert and can teach. Oh, and make sure that people know that you're going to actually put them in a wrist lock, or... choke hold (which he did almost immediately afterward), or whatever. People can get hurt.

Still thoroughly cheesed off about that whole thing.

edit on 21-7-2016 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse
No one should be teaching without A competitive background and B 10 years of experience

I teach and have worked professionally with some of the best coaches and fighters the world has to offer.
edit on 7/21/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

That video is hilarious. But his improvised weaponry and strategies are good. Sone goid nd suspect moves in that video. The knife defense presented will get you sliced up pretty good though. So all in all i agree 100% with your post.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR
His striking is HORRIBLE yet he teaches it like gospel and MMA fighters listen and suffer from it

No one says anything because he's a legend

Boxers and real Thai fighters laugh at his videos

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I agree but there are plenty of combative instructors that dont have a competative background and are just as capable or knowledgeable or go off to teach the military. But i agree more or less that enthusiastic novices with no real world experiences shouldnt be teaching. That eliminates most mcdojo and youtube ibstructors.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I agree but there are plenty of combative instructors that dont have a competative background and are just as capable or knowledgeable or go off to teach the military. But i agree more or less that enthusiastic novices with no real world experiences shouldnt be teaching. That eliminates most mcdojo and youtube ibstructors.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I hear that, especially now. I suspect, although I have no proof, that he watched some youtube videos and figured that was that. Either way, whatever instruction he had was clearly not sufficient.

Two weeks on and it's still swollen and I'm henpecking this with a brace.

I know I'm Captain Kill Joy here but seriously guys. Be careful. You can hurt people.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

The problem I have with that is you can never have the really know the limits of your martial art without testing it and you need to know what it's strength and weaknesses are how to operate under stress and another level of confidence and experience with what your teaching without actual real world application.

I would NEVER train with someone who didn't compete at some point.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Oh if you have real tendon tears or partial tears it's a several month recovery time with no help.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Oh if you have real tendon tears or partial tears it's a several month recovery time with no help.

Great. I'm an artist (painting) and she said at least three weeks before I could work, longer if I'm smart (but I have a commission I can't put it off long), but she gave two to three months for recovery. She did say they were torn, and pretty good too. If it's longer than that I'm going to be super pissed. I have things to do.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join