It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unarmed Therapist Shot in North Miami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Oh dear oh dear! This really isn't going to help matters at all. An unarmed therapist was shot with his hands up whilst trying to help one of his autistic patients who had escaped a home for the disabled. When the therapist asked why the policeman had shop him the policeman answered "I don't know" Oh well so much for training. Just what is the criteria for joining the Police in the USA? I have to say the UK entry criteria seems far far stricter than over the pond and I will say that armed or not this wouldn't have happened here as shooting someone is still a last resort not the first!

Now a small crowd has gathered around the police station saying they are from the Circle Brotherhood and they want answers. I have a feeling that this stupid act could be a very problematic catalyst

Florida Police Shoot Unarmed Therapist

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Oh dear oh dear! This really isn't going to help matters at all. An unarmed therapist was shot with his hands up whilst trying to help one of his autistic patients who had escaped a home for the disabled. When the therapist asked why the policeman had shop him the policeman answered "I don't know" Oh well so much for training. Just what is the criteria for joining the Police in the USA? I have to say the UK entry criteria seems far far stricter than over the pond and I will say that armed or not this wouldn't have happened here as shooting someone is still a last resort not the first!

Now a small crowd has gathered around the police station saying they are from the Circle Brotherhood and they want answers. I have a feeling that this stupid act could be a very problematic catalyst

Florida Police Shoot Unarmed Therapist

Despicable. There are some LEOs that just shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Saw the video this morning - what the? No words - just upcoming lawsuits!

Still can't believe he was shot!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Unnamed officer is on paid administrative leave, who would've thought.

It is idiotic that incidents like these are so commonplace.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I watched the video earlier, #ing terrible. Really is not helping there case at all. The more and more this happens, the tighter tensions are going to get until it comes to a point were there will be no police left, since they all quit, Or it becomes open season on blue.

Or.. they could do the unthinkable and get rid of there corrupt union bs and fire/jail as many of the bad police officers around the entire country as they can.

What we need is a public/civilian group/tribunal dedicated to investigating and dealing with cops that break the law, no more union bs, no more favoritism.
edit on 21-7-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Already posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
perhaps theres a paper work difference... if not shooting requires more work and paper work than shooting someone... then his "I don't know" becomes a likely known.

It seems many judgments are just made as Johnny on the spot without any proper assessment or determination on the scene of whats occurring.

Like a car chase ending then multiple police showing up for target practice has occurred, or the unarmed homeless man in Detroit gunned down by a group emptying their weapons on him with no approach a few years ago.

There's of course more incidents of this, and despite the array of nonlethal weapons at their disposal, the gun is often grabbed first... perhaps an electronic trigger lock that has to get a green light from a supervisor to become unlocked and the officer asking for the unlock has to have a valid reasoning for it to be...

Of course training is supposed to do this, but when it only requires a certificate from a community college with less than two years of study then of course on the job training and peers are going to be the real education so that leads to a large and variable police force and not a standard one.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

perhaps an electronic trigger lock that has to get a green light from a supervisor to become unlocked and the officer asking for the unlock has to have a valid reasoning for it to be...

That has to be the worst idea I've ever heard. Do you have any idea what would happen when they had to take 30 seconds to several minutes to get clearance to fire? May as well not carry a gun at all.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Well, if officers are not receiving a standard training and constantly required to maintain such standards then it was a valid suggestion... considering in my own city someone can hit the streets as an officer in training fully locked and loaded in under a year.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Sorry I did search and tried to check the forum but my internet connection is probably overheating thanks BT

Are US cops not trained to de-escalate situations such as this? If this is how they respond to an alleged suicide I'm so glad I'm not in the USA, talk about over reaction

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

If that's all your city requires of its law enforcement, it sounds like a training issue. An asanine "solution" like a trigger lock that only a supervisor can unlock isn't going to fix that. Might as well just issue paperweights if that's the best idea to be found.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Not to justify what the officer did in any way, but you wouldn't believe some of the stupid things people call into the police on their phones...Being the gullible, TV watching retards most of them are. I have listened to people call things in after witnessing the same event they did which I wouldn't even warrant calling the police about.

I wonder what the person who reported it in actually said he/ she thought was happening?. I wonder what they thought they were seeing and what they told the dispatcher?.

People in Florida are especially..............I lived there for ten years.........

People, including the cops, are becoming chicken # little scaredy cats in this country.

Just being different is like an act of terrorism almost.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Just read this story this morning.
Unreal...
Victim: "why did you shoot me"
Cop: "...ummm... I dont know"

I think police in the U.S.A, need a complete overhaul of their training program. Or at least have to meet a minimal IQ level to become employed.
In Canada, it takes a lot to become an officer. You dont hear about this type of thing happening here. I can honestly say that our officers undergo a lot of testing and training before given a badge.
Unfortunately in the states, it seems like anyone can become a cop.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Agreed. It takes a few years to be a policeman over here too with many forces now asking for a degree. To be allowed to use a gun you have to pass some stringent testing. For a simple constable they have to attend Police Training college and pass fitness, eyesight, medical, background and security checks. I'm sorry but looking at the vast majority of Officers I have seen in the US there are some insanely overweight unfit people, who I can imagine shooting someone rather than chasing them!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

perhaps an electronic trigger lock that has to get a green light from a supervisor to become unlocked and the officer asking for the unlock has to have a valid reasoning for it to be...

Do you have any idea what would happen when they had to take 30 seconds to several minutes to get clearance to fire? May as well not carry a gun at all.

Leads to the question: Do cops really need guns when they have a radio?

I didn't really think about this one before responding, because it's a duplicate thread and I want to fire this one thought off.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Police do need an overhaul. First thing is it no longer should have aptitude testing for lower to mid lower IQ. People have sued police dept for not being hired based on iq in aptitude testing.

Unfortunately until we get a politician who can inspire and lead as well as compromise with Congress the cops are going to have to be very intelligent and well trained to deal with the massive amount of problems we have ignored.

Number one is a drug war that needs serious change. Once the drug war is ended and policies of treatment and such are put in place the only people going after drugs should be the remaining dea and give cops a break from all the wars they are in the middle of.

The organized crime and corruption in the judicial and law enforcement agencies is also a massive issue. There was recently an entire precinct in Florida brought up in laundering charges (for drug dealers).

This is well beyound cops and their training. I think the training needs to change and the officers need to pass almost FBI standards of education and training/processing if they have guns. There could be cops with just tasers doing beat community policing if that's safe within call.

The processing ability of police officers simply just has to be very high now a days. With all that is going on. It's no longer is useful to have Barney at the town center.

Unfortunately police and their outfitters have lobby and union power so this gets to be like fixing schools.

And you can't play for the NFL if your out of shape. You sure as hell can't be a cop with a gun if your out of shape. Sorry to say but if your heart is not in condition as well as your breathing you just a menace to society with a firearm. Having done some 3 gun races my self where heart rate is elevated there is a whole other level of shooting required for action targeting. My targets were not even moving and just raising your heart rate and breathing changes everything. To control that requires regular training in those things. Not just target shooting at the range. Actual coarse shooting with elevated heart rate and if possible adrenal dumps. I would have two people grapple intensely for a minute and then require one to shoot on a coarse he can move through.

Seriously its a warzone for the cops but they can't treat us like detainees either. So that is going to require smarter cops along with training. (Plenty of smart cops just saying as a whole the policies and aptitude requirements should change)
edit on 21-7-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Already posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Correct

Please continue the conversation in the other thread.

closing

join