It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape victim put in jail after breakdown on witness stand

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
How can LEGAL and JUSTICE be used in the same sentence anymore ?

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

God, that reads like some bad movie script where the sheriff is mates with the accused...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

God, that reads like some bad movie script where the sheriff is mates with the accused...

It wouldn't be the first time

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Sounds like something that would happen in a ME country.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
So one very...very pertinent question...were the accused prosecuted?....If not...If she was found to be lying...maybe held in contempt of court then I can completely understand why she was reprimanded to jail...Key word to all this is BIPOLAR....Crazy people say and do CRAZY things. My sister is a diagnosed Bi-polar/borderline personality disorder. She once told me she was raped to cover up and deflect from some other trouble that had actually occured. She lied....the next day she said she never said such a thing to me....Like I said....Crazy people do and say crazy things...I thought we were intelligent on this page and not reactionary. You got caught by all the right buzz words to get your blood boiling without knowing ANY of the facts.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

To kind of "paraphrase" a former Texas governor:

Rape her once... shame on you,
Rape her twice...Hurrah for the Texas legal system.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

This was just cruelty on steroids. They had much better options than locking her up in a jail. If I had my druthers, I'd throw their sorry butts in jail (and for much longer than 30 days) for gross abuses of power and authority... not to mention aiding and abetting an assault... as well as reckless endangerment of a person's life/limb... and whatever else I could find.

No excuse for this.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
wow, what an insane case!! supposedly, the family agreed to this, but then, if you look deeper, what they agreed to was her being in a mental hospital (under the circumstances, not really a bad place for her to be).. but then, legally, they can only hold her for 10 days in the hospital. so, the moved her to the jail. where they could have given her a private cell if the court had requested, but instead, had paperwork that was so confusing that some of the guards couldn't tell the difference between a sexual assaulter and an assault victim. so they put her into the general population, since those private cells we in limited number. where she was punched by another inmate and finally snapped and assaulted a guard who in response hit back.

if the court had the power to throw her into this kind of hell, why didn't they have the power to extend the 10 day limit at the mental institution that was agreed on to begin with? at least there I am pretty sure that she would have gotten the mental health care that she seems to have needed. or better yet, place themselves in the care of that mental health center since I think they needed it more than her! like I said, crazy story.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: odinsway

the accused is serving two life sentences..
yes, he was found guilty.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yep, he got two life sentences, and the family is suing the pee out of everyone.

May the Jury give them double whatever they are asking!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
YEs the courts do this routinely. Especially when trying to get parents to give up their rights to their children. My friend was jailed for 6 months until she coudnt take it any more and gave her kids to DSS and then released.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Anderson responded to the Channel 2 investigation Wednesday with a video posted on YouTube and her Facebook account.In the video statement, Anderson said she stands by her office’s decision to hold Jenny in jail for a month until she would be called to testify again.

“How were we to assume that a homeless, mentally ill victim of an aggravated sex assault would return to testify at the trial of her rapist when that victim was going through a life-threatening mental health crisis and had expressed her intention not to testify?” Anderson asked.

www.click2houston.com...

what gets me is that she admits that the victim was going through a "life-threatening mental health crisis" but then, she fully stands by the decision of throwing the lady in jail when the ten days of hospitalization for that "life-threatening mental health crisis". and proceeds to lie about her being homeless!
you'd think that there would be a way to keep him in the hospital where she would continue getting counseling and be watched over. heck allowing her family to take custody of her would have been a better solution, if she opted to run, let her run. but to jail her 10 days after that "life-threatening mental health crisis" (her own words) was oh so negligent on the state's part. I wouldn't be happy with just the family getting a large settlement (of taxpayer money), I'd want everyone involved in this decision to be reprimanded strongly enough to ensure it never happened again.

and maybe I am wrong here, but wasn't there a bunch of states trying to push legislation through to force rape victims to testify against the assailants? well now we see what happens when they do this!

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Oh, I agree, and then to be "mislabeled" on top of everything else, and be accused of sexual assault, instead of a victim of while in jail?

This poor woman was completely raked over the coals, every which way.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

So apparently in rare gang related cases. I feel the same way as you about lawsuits and this scenario.

Gang-related or not, I can't understand the jail, as opposed to protective custody or something.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This rape victim was given two life sentences too.

1. as a rape victim
2. being put in jail where she was accosted by others and the prison system.

Why isn't it getting more press coverage?

Is a mentally ill victim not worthy of protection and care? Guess not-and she's just a poor woman, so there's that.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
this is god damn disgusting

the criminal justice system of the united states needs to be BURNED DOWN and rebooted.

posted on Jul, 22 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

punishment for crying rape...

sorry, but just had to say it... probably because I am wondering it.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
More details on the account if this is a reliable source. The road to hell is paved with good intentions? You decide? The victim's case worker, for lack of a better term, violated the trust of stewardship?

www.refinery29.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

what caseworker?? the da herself says that the women was suffering from a life-threatening mental health crisis. she also claims that the family approved of the idea of holding her...
but what they approved of was that she be held in a mental health facility, not a danged prison! well, by some quark, either in the law, or maybe just that the da didn't want to waste the time to get an extended stay at the mental health hospital, she had to be release,
so, it was the district attorney's office that decided it was a good idea to send this women who just ten days ago was suffering from a life threatening mental health crisis into a jail. the da's office could have taken the time to ensure that she got a private room and wasn't in the general population, but for some reason they didn't.

luckily for them that "life threatening mental health crisis" that they used as an excuse to hold her wasn't as severe as the district attorney made it out to be or they could have very well lost their danged witness!!

and there were other rape victims, why didn't they consider those other rape victims to determine weather maybe, just maybe they were more mentally stable and force one of them to testify?

oh and the women was not homeless... something that the da should have known since members of her staff had picked her up from there at least once.

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Found a source that went into greater detail. Sorry, I agree it went bad. But there was lots of good intentions too?

Why didn't the family take a more active roll? Why didn't the family arrange for home care. Can you prove the poor lady didn't choose to live as a homeless persons? You were not specifics about where she was picked up from. You brought up more questions than answers?

Again, not the greatest plan. I take this from the incident, other than the obvious. The prosecutor tried something in the absence of the family not stepping up and the individual preferring to live as a wonder. It's sad the prison system cannot segregate prisoners that prey on other prisoners because of the out cry against solitary confinement. As government gets bigger, and in control of healthcare, paper work can cause a catastrophe.

I'm not horrified the prosecutor tried to fill a vacuum. I am horrified there was no oversight and predatory behavior is not controlled in prisons.
edit on 25-7-2016 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join