It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA Delays Marijuana Rescheduling Announcement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

The DEA is "not bound by any date" to announce its determination on rescheduling, according to its public-affairs division, but is still on track to release a decision sometime before the end of the year.

In a letter sent to the DEA on June 30, when it was clear the agency would take no action in the first half of 2016 — Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and other legislators, including Colorado congressman Jared Polis, asked the DEA to "take immediate action to remove 'cannabis' and 'tetrahydrocannabinols' from Schedule I."

DEA Delays Marijuana Rescheduling Announcement

It looks like the DEA is going to delay their announcement about marijuana classification. In a letter published by Washington Post, the DEA told lawmakers that it was reviewing information to determine wether to reschedule marijuana and estimated a decision would be passed down "in the first half of 2016."

At the request of the DEA, the Food and Drug Administration conducted a review of the available data for marijuana in 2001 and again in 2006, Douglas Throckmorton, deputy director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, said at a recent U.S. Senate hearing on medical marijuana.

After the second review, the FDA concluded that marijuana should remain a Schedule I substance "because of its high potential for abuse, the fact that it had no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and because it lacked accepted safety for use under medical supervision," Throckmorton said.

The DEA wants marijuana to remain a schedule 1 drug because quite frankly it's they're most successful cash crop.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
They are waiting to see who gets elected to change the classification.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

I feel that the cannabis prohibition is more about money than what is right. Let face the reality, law enforcement and the legal system makes a lot of money off cannabis being illegal. They do not want to lose their cash cow, despite public opinion.

However with the public opinion becoming more opposed to cannabis prohibition, eventually they will have to do something. As of know, very few under the age of 40 have respect for the DEA and the War on Drugs. As time passes and my age group takes over, the DEA is going to have to change their ways or be dismantled.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

This. I mean what else could it be?

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

I feel that the cannabis prohibition is more about money than what is right. Let face the reality, law enforcement and the legal system makes a lot of money off cannabis being illegal. They do not want to lose their cash cow, despite public opinion.

However with the public opinion becoming more opposed to cannabis prohibition, eventually they will have to do something. As of know, very few under the age of 40 have respect for the DEA and the War on Drugs. As time passes and my age group takes over, the DEA is going to have to change their ways or be dismantled.

I 100% agree with every word you have posted.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

stubborn S.O.B.s

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The PRISONS would also loose big.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

Easy big pharma doesn't want it changed. How can they compete with a medicine that a person can grow in their closet or back yard.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Could Cannabis be the Iranian Hostages?? And the new Turd-In-Charge wants to take credit??? Or if folks remove their head from their sphincters and erect Gary Johnson, I mean that name even sounds Presidential, then Cannabis wouldn't be a crime but an 'elective' like Finger Painting 101 in College...

We've had Johnsons before and nothing too bad happened, We've had a taste of Clinton but had to spit it out, so lets go for Johnson and not someone who acts like a Johnson?

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
they are still finalizing the kinks with big pharma.

California is the third biggest state and yet the most populated in the US , they will wait and see how the numbers are affected after they make it legal for recreational use here first. its up for voting in August, which is predicted to pass by a landslide.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Easy big pharma doesn't want it changed. How can they compete with a medicine that a person can grow in their closet or back yard.

This issue is progress, but it's actually about putting cannabis into their hands.

The states will have to keep voting for the citizens to have the right to grow it themselves, or those in the states who cant may still get screwed. It also probably screws the 'proper' businesses.
edit on 20-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
The PRISONS would also loose big.

exactly. once we allowed private corporations to take over managing and running for profit prisons with contractual quotas for the number of inmates that must be incarcerated at any given time, we lost control of justice by turning criminality into another business.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
Could Cannabis be the Iranian Hostages?? And the new Turd-In-Charge wants to take credit???
Stay Hydrated...

Very cynical, I like it.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

Yep. In addition, think of all the oncologists out of jobs and the billions of dollars of funds research hospitals/universities would lose.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Regardless what the DEA does, the gig is up. Mostly because people are going to do what they want regardless of laws, and the police have lost the will to even arrest. Talking to an officer out of San Angelo on Monday, he said that if he arrests someone for pot, they are out of jail and rolling another one before the paperwork is even complete.

Its become a technical issue, like having a broken taillight, or "looking like someone else" might be.

I guess we shall see how this all plays out.

What really makes me sad is that a young girl (16) i know just got out of rehab 2 months ago. She is off the wagon, and her parents feel powerless to intervene. Why? Because their biggest weapon is calling the cops. Which will end up getting her thrown in jail for possession.

Ain't that something? Our legal apparatus is such a heavy fist that people will choose to go it alone rather than involve the cops to help reign in their wild daughter. Letting her play it out, while a risk, at least isn't guaranteed to get her a drug conviction. That is the corner our legal system paints us into.

When people avoid treatment because of the legal problems it can create, the system is obviously horribly broken. All those tax dollars that girls mother pays in to a system that she can't even use, because the system will abuse us.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

So true , the pharmaceutical industry will lose to much if it de criminaiced 🙁

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Dsbalcombe

??? Legalization is what killed Eric Garner. They fund regulation.

Permits passes, stamps, certifications, registries. This is what you asked for.

You dont want to smoke legal weed. Marlboro kills millions knowingly and on purpose. Home grown tobacco doesn't. THEY WONT LET YOU GROW IT

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
you guys have it all wrong.. they do not want it federally legal because medicare and medicaid will have to pay for the sick's dr. prescribed marijuan

top topics

join