It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding Success on Amazon as an Independent Author

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Hello!

Since I began my journey as an independent author here on ATS, I want to share some more things that I have learned this past year. I have a couple of other threads where I have gone over the basics to getting started. I've also cautioned against some of the most common pitfalls independent authors tend to fall into.

After figuring all of THAT out, I then had to move onto the next hurdle: How to get my book in front of people. It's all about advertising, and figuring out the elusive Amazon Algorithms. I have been finding some success lately, although I still have a long ways to go until it will pay as my only source of income.

I will start by saying that the hands-down, best advertising platform to get into is called BookBub. They are a digital mailing/webiste service that caters to the reader. Here is a LINK to their prices and statistics.

I can write pages on all of this stuff, but before I do so, I want to make sure that there is an audience, and cater it to what your specific questions are. SO...who's interested? Anyone? And do you have anything you've been trying to figure out, or should I just give a rundown on my own experience?

For example, the current ad I have running with them right now is the box set for my YA/scifi trilogy. I have the whole set (digital) on sale for .99. WHY would I do that? It's all about the numbers, the algorithms, and the pages read in the Kindle Unlimited program. BUT...there is a method to the madness.

Amazon LINK to the box set.

Take a look at my Author page . This is a good place for me to start, I think, in showing what you want to do with your set-up on Amazon. As of now (7/19/16), the box set has a 'best seller' tag, because I managed to get to the top of a genre list. I'd be happy to explain how I did that...if anyone wants to know!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Be intrested as trying to right a WW1 historical fiction novel.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: westcoast

What a great thread and I hope it stays active.

I always try to support art(ists) from the Pac NW so I just might be buying some of your novels. Not to mention, they sound pretty rad.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I am also an independent writer on Amazon in similar genres - I'm just beginning. Marketing is not my strong suit!

Thanks and looking forward to what you have to say...

AB

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Am interested . . . I have a Kindle haiku type book and a psychology Kindle nonfiction book.

I need to reformat the haiku book because the TOC/index takes up the first 1/3 or so of the book so folks don't get to see a sample.

I have a nonfiction Christian book near finished . . .

So, am interested in all you have to share about your experiences and suggestions.

I'm not real good at publicizing my books.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

This thread is a bit out of the ordinary for ATS. Are you sure this is the place for it other than some of the many websites for writers and wannabes? It just sorta seems like a self-promotion effort.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It is quite common for community members to seek out other members of the ATS community for input/help.

I have NO need to ASSUME mercenary etc. motives.

Sigh.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'm interested although Ihave a lot of writing to finish before I follow you advice. It would be great to know more about what I'll be getting into.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Thank you! I hope that you find one that you enjoy!!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

This thread is a bit out of the ordinary for ATS. Are you sure this is the place for it other than some of the many websites for writers and wannabes? It just sorta seems like a self-promotion effort.

I appreciate your concern. However, I assure you, the very few sales I might possibly garner from this thread would only add up to a couple of dollars. (at .99, I make about .49 a purchase) If you take a look at my stats, you'll see that I am a long-standing member, and I've participated in a lot here, most recently conversations with other writers. I also have the 'writer' title on my profile, so it's not like I'm stepping outside of my norm.

Quite a few of us are following each others writing careers, and we're interested/curious in how it's going. We learn from each other.

As an author, especially an indie, the best way to grow is to share and communicate with other authors. I have had the privilege of getting some incredible guidance these past few months and I would love to pass it on.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

You and me both.

Still, it's fun!

P

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Well said.

It does not always have to be doom and gloom or electing the least deadly President.

P

top topics

join