It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landlords Breaking Tenant Laws while Belittling & Giving me Attitude

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I had to get this off my chest. I know it can't be easy being a landlord. However, I've been a great tenant - I take care of my place, I always pay rent on time(unless I'm out of town for work and cannot find the right bank where I'm at, in which case I let them know and will only be 1-2 days late on rent), been nice and even offered to help out with extra things around the building .

To give you some more background, I am in New Hampshire, and have been living here since November of 2014. Last summer when I had roommate living with me, I did a lease adjustment and they hiked up the rent to $1300 as they requested - but when we did the lease adjustment they also sneakily had my sign up for another full year (way after the summer roommate moved out). I should have known when that happened that they were going to be snaky and try to pull one over on me.

I currently do not have a lease and they agreed to work with me on a month-by-month basis until I find out what my work situation will be in October.

I've offered to help plow in the winter (which they never took me up on), and went out of my way to write to them thanking them after fixing a leaky sink, and other similar scenarios.

However, last Wednesday my landlords tell me they are implementing a 20% rent increase (from $1100 to $1300), starting in August. Come to find out, they need to give me 30 days notice to do this, so they are doing something illegal here.

Month-to-month tenant

If you do not have a lease, the landlord can increase the rent, but must give written notice of the increase (or any other significant change), 30 days in advance. Likewise, you can leave without continuing to owe rent as long as you give the landlord 30 days’ notice.

Not only that, but when I've had these recent conversations with my landlord, she has been extremely condescending and rude. "Apparently I'm not making myself clear..." she says with a snarky little attitude.

No LADY, apparently I didn't make MYSELF clear - I told her multiple times (both verbally and written), that I will give them 60 days notice before I move out, as she originally requested. She apparently didn't read/listen carefully enough. Then has the audacity to give me attitude and talk down to me. Now my friends don't want to visit and it's uncomfortable when they stop by because they give us attitude and try to complain to us or blame us for things. There's a lot of tensions between myself and these landlords right now.

The best part is, (and this is a non-issue, but worth mentioning because it pisses me off that much more) my landlords are rich beyond belief. They own over 20 nice vehicles (including some antiques that are worth a LOT of money), a mansion up north, and a house in the South where they go to live in the Winter. They were given this property from their parents and have never had to work a "real job" as we would call it - meanwhile I work 100 hours a week, but when they come to work on the house they bug my neighbors and ask "Where the hell is [my name], we never see him!" Yeah, that's because I'm always WORKING my butt off.

Everytime they pull in the parking lot (every day, usually multiple times a day), they are in a different vehicle. Complaining about things wrong with the apartments and "how hard they are always working", even though most of the time they just come by to bitch about things and "keep an eye on the place".

The owners/landlords also brag that they have all these other properties and sell antiques they find - they have a boatload of these sharpening stones (used for sharpening barber blades), and they are selling for $850 each. Meanwhile, they're being rude and greedy over a lousy $200 a month. Even through all of this, I've been nothing but polite, thankful, and tried to work with them and fulfill the requests they've made (about giving notice and whatever else).

Anyway, I'm going to get out by October and also try to fight them legally however I can - an immediate family member of mine is an attorney licensed in the state of NH (they don't know this), but she's been busy the past week. She should be free to work with me on this tomorrow. I'm hoping we can push back a little, sick of being treated like a criminal and having these selfish people push me around like this.

It's so disappointing people like this have all the toys and money in the world but treat human beings like trash without any second thoughts, but that's how it is. Just knowing that 1 single penny of my hard-earned money is going to them pisses me off as all hell. I know I'm not the only one with a sh*tty landlord - things have been steadily getting worse over the past few days though. It almost had me at a breaking point yesterday.

We will see how things play out but I needed to vent. Thanks ATS for helping me use this outlet instead of acting out or being rude back to them.
edit on 19-7-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Don't let em get under your skin. Odds are the place sucks and isn't worth the grief and aggravation.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Don't get rude, get even. Send them bills for the stuff you fixed. With parts and labor that should come to a 'little more'
than 200.00.

Give notice, too. You can't win with landlords.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Kill them with kindness, then bi***slap them with the law.
Works for me.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The problem with giving notice right now is I have had no luck in finding another month-to-month apartment in the area so I'm stuck here until I do find one. Believe me though, I am looking.

Don't get rude, get even.

I will fight them with the law and documentation. I also have all of the text messages and emails they've sent me where they've contradicted themselves. And it proves how polite and cooperative I've been, even while they've been total scumbags. I learned from my younger years and run-ins with the law, that everything you say and do can be used FOR, or against you.

It's been kind of like a chess game with an angry drunk - I'm trying to be strategic and look 5 steps ahead, while all they care about is "that next drink" and being ass holes. Glad I haven't sunk to their level

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Not sure how old you are but you write as if you may be 10 or 12 years old.

What is, " my landlords are rich beyond belief" ?

So what. They have some money and you are poor so that makes you right?

I am no lawyer but it sounds pretty cut and dry.

You are wrong and they are right!

GROW UP!!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: georgeglass

Lol, the law says THEY are doing illegal things. Not sure what you're talking about in terms of "cut and dry, you are wrong and they are right".

This is the "Rant" forum, so perhaps my thoughts are not as well articulated as other threads I've made in the "Science and Technology" or other forums, but that's due to the topic at hand. It's perfectly appropriate considering this fact. Sorry it wasn't up to YOUR standard.

Perhaps your reading comprehension level is that of a 10 year old? Mine is not, I understand the law and in the eyes of the law I have rights they are violating.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Really?

Is the following going to be part of your testimony?

It's so disappointing people like this have all the toys and money in the world but treat human beings like trash without any second thoughts, but that's how it is. Just knowing that 1 single penny of my hard-earned money is going to them pisses me off as all hell. I know I'm not the only one with a sh*tty landlord - things have been steadily getting worse over the past few days though. It almost had me at a breaking point yesterday.

I am sure you will win. * rolling my eyes *

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

As a former landlord, I feel for your situation. trust me, there are a-hole landlords as well as tenants, and in this case, it definitely sounds like the landlord. The only defense I can offer for landlords is when they're renting a place to what I call a professional tenant. They know the landlord-tenant laws as good as an attorney, and know every trick in the book to try and get over. You, on the other hand, seem like a dream tenant. I've only had 2 or 3 out of 30 or so.

As others have suggested, document everything and follow your lease to the letter. If it says that notices are to be given via certified mail, then make sure you do that. I'm not familiar with NH tenant law, but if you can withhold rent for repairs or broken things, then do so in a legal manner. Remember, after you've moved out, you can always sue the landlord in small claims court. Hopefully you have a document of the condition of the place when you moved in and/or pictures. Lots of these cases turn into he-said, she-said, and the landlord will likely be able to afford an attorney to represent him or her.

I hope there's at least some advice you can use. Good luck!
edit on 19-7-2016 by peter_kandra because: fat finger typos

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

At least you know now, doesn't matter how 'helpful' you are.

They're landlords, their only interest is your money.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: georgeglass

I am sure you will win. * rolling my eyes *

Careful, they might get stuck like that

Again, this is the Rant forum. If you don't like my writing style bummer for you. Thanks for the comments - I politely disagree with both of them.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Wtf?!? 100 hours a week? Holy hell! I feel like 40 is too much! That is not true right? An exaggeration? Please tell me that's not true?
That would be more than 14 hours in 7 days, that's impossible.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

My first question would be about the law that describes how often and when and how much prior notice a landlord must provide a tenant before visiting/bothering them.

I'd look into that, because I discussed renting out my old home (I opted against it, knowing how some tenants treat rentals...not implying anything with you), and she mentioned that there is definitely a certain time period of prior notice needed before visiting/inspecting the place, and if I'm not mistaken, there is also a limited amount of times you can visit/inspect as a landlord (otherwise many landlords would harass tenants).

But I believe that you're right about the 30-days notice (you didn't link to the quote, so I don't know how official that is), but definitely talk to your family member and see if they can help you out a little. Just tread lightly--if you're planning on vacating the premises, you don't want to annoy them with letters or calls from a lawyer a few months before you move, especially if you have any security deposits on the line.

This is part-and-parcel as to why renting can really suck ass. Best of luck!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Take care. I wish you luck.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I've actually done it consecutively (2 or 3 weeks in a row). 6:45 AM until 11:30 PM at night, Monday through Friday. Then 2 10-hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday. When I work that schedule it is actually a hair over 100 hours.

Luckily most of the time it stays between 70 and 85 hours, which is MUCH more manageable - still drives you nuts though. I've gotta do what I've gotta do.. plus I get paid salary so no overtime. Planning to find new employment within the year though

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Good luck... I'll be keeping fingers and toes crossed for ya. I'm really glad you have a legal eagle to help you out. So often folks in that position -- or a similar position -- don't have any resources to fight. Give em hell!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Thanks for your input. In terms of giving notice before they show up, I've been told by a real estate friend that if there is a mechanical or plumbing issue, they don't need to provide notice (I thought I could use that one as a violation but there was a problem with my tub when they showed up unannounced a few weeks ago).

As for the little "interactions" in the parking lot, they aren't coming and knocking on my door, it's more just passing by and they stop me to talk which i don't think constitutes an "unannounced visit". But I will definitely look more into what constitutes a visit to see if they're breaking any other laws. Thanks again SlapMonkey

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I know they're just being pushy and snotty because they have their own issues and are unhappy in life, but I WILL be using every resource at my disposal to stick up to them and hold them accountable. Thanks Boadicea
I will have to provide an update after the dust finally settles

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Whoa respect. You just blew my mind. I hope you get tons of money! A truck full of hundreds a week, you'd deserve it.
Good luck man!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Ha!! I wish!!! It's actually insane what the breakdown of wages is (if I did it hourly, it's like $10 an hour or something). I actually got paid significantly more hourly (almost $8 an hour MORE) before I got my degree and had all this responsibility. It's totally ass backwards, but I've stuck with this for a few years because it is sort of a "niche" area, working in government, healthcare, and non-profit.

But ultimately I want to get into policy writing and law so this is a good way to build my skills, connections, etc.

Thanks a lot my man, really appreciate the encouragement. *respect*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join