It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reefer Madness! Medical Marijuana Is Already Saving $165M Per Year For Medicare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Of interest, with regards to medical marijuana.

www.forbes.com...

A new study in the journal Health Affairs looked in great detail at prescription drug usage in U.S. states that have legalized medical marijuana.

The bottom line: In 2013 alone, when 17 states had legalized medical marijuana, Medicare saved over $165 million. A simple extrapolation suggests that if all states legalize marijuana, annual savings could be triple that amount, $500 million. (Obviously this extrapolation is over-simplified: It depends on the actual populations of those 17 states, and it only considers Medicare. Commercial healthcare plans may save far more.)

This study only focuses on conditions where marijuana may serve as an alternative treatment.

These fall into nine specific categories for which at least some evidence suggests marijuana could help: anxiety, depression, glaucoma, nausea, pain, psychosis, seizures, sleep disorders and spasticity

It sounds good to me. Why medical marijuana isn't being fast-tracked in Australia is beyond me, but this study bodes well for future research.
edit on 19-7-2016 by cuckooold because: Added link

edit on 19-7-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Link please.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Link added in first post, plus link to the abstract of the study here;

content.healthaffairs.org...
edit on 19-7-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I always thought the Marijuana thing was just about people getting high for a thrill
Guess no different to alcohol in a way
as a medicine, maybe its got legs

Its funny, looking at all those people who were justifying it, the recreational pot smokers and I know a few who have been made stupid on the stuff (like me and alcohol once upon a time) I didnt really look at marijuana as a real alternative

Kinda changing my mind now

(post by Tjoran removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

...There is no doubt that cbd cbda thc thca have incredible healing properties, i do not think for a moment they are cure all's,like any medicine they react differently depending on the individual ....

One thing is for sure they work positively on many many people in some cases curing people all together and should no doubt be studied further ....

I just wanted to add before we get people coming in here going on about stoners smoking dope blah blah blah, i am talking about the benefits of the oils, both cbd and cbda do not really give you a high, the thc does however and there is absolutely no need to smoke these substances they come in a nice little bottle..you drip it under your tongue in the same way you would a herb like arnica

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman
Thank you for admitting that.

There seems to be a mindset, among people whom are just "deadset" against any type of marijuana being legal, that it is ALL bad, and don't even want to hear facts regarding it.

Thankfully, with so much being developed in states where it is legal, medical and otherwise, people are starting to realize that with so many different strains, and so many different forms, (lotions, oils, ect) from the medical aspect, it isn't even about getting "high". (In all cases)

Personally, I did a lot of research in the two forms I listed, to help my mother with joint pain from her RA. And while I personally believe all forms should be legal, for whatever reason you wish to use it, I will always fight for at least medical to stay legal.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
I always thought the Marijuana thing was just about people getting high for a thrill
Guess no different to alcohol in a way
as a medicine, maybe its got legs

Its funny, looking at all those people who were justifying it, the recreational pot smokers and I know a few who have been made stupid on the stuff (like me and alcohol once upon a time) I didnt really look at marijuana as a real alternative

Kinda changing my mind now

Good for you! When the facts change, it's appropriate for opinions to change as well.

In the 90s and 00s, medical research revealed that our immune systems have literal cannabinoid receptors, and the cannabinoids stimulate the production of white cells to fight infections -- even the antibiotic resistant kinds! -- and all kinds of exciting stuff. Our immune systems need these cannabinoids. Much more research is needed (we wasted a lot of time when it was illegal to research), but it's all very promising.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If all this research was accurate then I should have suffered no ills since '76.
I say legalize for medical and research but keep the gubmint out of recreational use.
We are doing fine without them.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Cannabis was regular part of or ancestors life's right up to the 1800's.

I wonder if the increase in cancers rates could be linked with the reduction of cannabis in the diet.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Cannabis was regular part of or ancestors life's right up to the 1800's.

I wonder if the increase in cancers rates could be linked with the reduction of cannabis in the diet.

I would think that very well may be the case, our bodies have cannabinoid receptors for a reason.....

new topics

top topics

join