It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mammoth blade-wielding ‘God of War’ statue unveiled in China

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Like a boss! I want one

Speaking of the statue of liberty. This article digs a little deeper into the half truths we have been fed regarding it's origins.

origins of egypt lights the world
edit on 07Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:37:45 -0500820167America/Chicago by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I bet it has that signature "made in China" hidden somewhere.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Hmm are they trying to make up for some deficiency somewhere else, still doubt it would impress the wife though.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: GmAndre
a doughnut sounds good.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I want one in my living room

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
That statue looks freaking awesome!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

I have to admit it does, it is a little strange that so many chinese actually worship a third century Han chinese general whom actually went on to lose and have his army desert him but I can understand it being a emblem of pride for that city as in Chinese history he remain's one of there greatest tactical genius.
Now I want to see the rest of the chess piece's

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Just how Big is your place anyway?

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Hmm are they trying to make up for some deficiency somewhere else, still doubt it would impress the wife though.

Well he's wearing pants so i guess we'll never really know

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
I bet it has that signature "made in China" hidden somewhere.

lol...

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap
I came here expecting a giant Kratos statue.

I am disappoint.

Why yes.. i can see the resemblence

news.toyark.com...
edit on 7/19/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thank you Walmart! : )

originally posted by: skywatcher44
a reply to: Junkheap

Wow very striking..

www.facebook.com... ( Photos )

twitter.com... ( some construction Pics )

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Something has obviously pissed him off to the max.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
DAYUM, that's actually freakin' awesome in design. I really like it. But in all honesty, that makes Lady Lib look pretty lame by comparison :/

Plus she was charity

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomy327
I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has already been touched on BUT. Guan Yu was a general early in Chinese history. For some now he is revered as a diety but in no way is he a "God Of War" ina reply to: awareness10

Guan Yu, Chinese god of loyalty, righteousness, and valor

The gods are in many forms, I disagree, Liberty is actually Sol Invictus the new is always connected to the old.
If he was a general revered as a God why is he not The God of War?

Being revered as a God is being a god, he was a warrior,so yes he is a god of war.

Guan Gong

Like Mazu, Guan Gong (also called Guan Di or Guan Yu) was once an ordinary human. A general executed 1,800 years ago after being defeated in battle, Guan Gong was posthumously revered for his righteousness and loyalty. He’s almost always shown in full form with a red face (albeit sometimes obscured by soot from incense burned in his honour) and a long beard, and he usually carries a heavy halberd in one hand. Worshipped by businessmen, police officers and members of criminal gangs, he’s credited with helping the people of Yanshui in Tainan turn back a plague that had been devastating the population. Among the shrines dedicated to Guan Gong is Tainan’s Martial Rites Temple.

lifeoftaiwan.com...

Guan Yu was deified as early as the Sui dynasty (581–618), and is still worshipped today among the Chinese people. He is variedly worshipped as an indigenous Chinese deity, a bodhisattva in Buddhist tradition and as a guardian deity in Taoism and many religious bodies.[9] He is also held in high esteem in Confucianism. These roles are not necessarily contradictory or even distinguished within the Chinese religious system, which often merge multiple ancient philosophies and religions

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
Mammoth Indeed! This Statue is Massive!

I thought with all the war threads lately this would be a nice edition.

www.rt.com...

China have redefined the concept of ‘statue’ and put Lady Liberty to shame with the unveiling of a colossal 1,320-ton, 58-meter-high statue of legendary general and “God of War” Guan Yu.

And as always the commentary always makes me laugh.

The french make petite statues and give them away, the Chinese make large statues. Meanwhile America does it right. We carve our leaders faces into mountains.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: awareness10
Mammoth Indeed! This Statue is Massive!

I thought with all the war threads lately this would be a nice edition.

www.rt.com...

China have redefined the concept of ‘statue’ and put Lady Liberty to shame with the unveiling of a colossal 1,320-ton, 58-meter-high statue of legendary general and “God of War” Guan Yu.

And as always the commentary always makes me laugh.

The french make petite statues and give them away, the Chinese make large statues. Meanwhile America does it right. We carve our leaders faces into mountains.

ahh yes true! You can see the back end of the leaders carved into the mountain from the Canadian side.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The 3 Kingdoms period in China was a huge deal. It was never as long as the other epic dynasties, but a lot of great warriors lived at the same time.

That is an AWESOME statue.

Like others said, it makes Lady Liberty look dull...

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

The Chinese have always built big, think the great wall. There was one Emperor who even built a pyramid as big as the great pyramid in egypt after hearing of the pharaohs tombs. Supposedly there was a chamber under the pyramid with a large map of china with seas made of liquid mercury. If you read the background of this statue it was based on a human character who was a warrior, but was also intensely loyal, moral, and compassionate to the weak the poor and women. I think by building that, they made the world a little more interesting. We need that in an age of pokemon go, and the Kardashians.

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

The Chinese have always built big, think the great wall. There was one Emperor who even built a pyramid as big as the great pyramid in egypt after hearing of the pharaohs tombs. Supposedly there was a chamber under the pyramid with a large map of china with seas made of liquid mercury. If you read the background of this statue it was based on a human character who was a warrior, but was also intensely loyal, moral, and compassionate to the weak the poor and women. I think by building that, they made the world a little more interesting. We need that in an age of pokemon go, and the Kardashians.

Nice! Thankyou for adding that here. I hadn't heard about that one. I particularily like what you said about this great Warrior being kind moral, loyal, good to Women. This man must've been larger than life to these people, and yes i agree pokemon go, and the Kartrashians are disintegrating society to the lowest it's been since ... you can fill in the blanks here ...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join