It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen who biked six hours to college: ‘I thank God every day'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Now here is a guy not into making excuses and doing whatever it takes. Definitely admire this mentality especially in todays day and age.

Probably won't see this guy at any anit police rallys either.

Teen who biked six hours to college: ‘I thank God every day'

“I didn’t have a ride here. My girlfriend couldn’t drive me. She didn’t have a car. So my little brother handed me a bike,” Barley told Channel 2’s Berndt Petersen. “It was hot, but I thought, ‘I’m too far to turn back around, so I might as well keep going forward to get my goal.’”

When he arrived, he pitched a tent to wait until the first day of registration until the cops found him.

Much respect, show me a kickstarter and I'll donate.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Very cool. I graduated high school in Rockdale County. This guy is definitely determined and admirable. And the cops even helped him out as he was waiting to register. This is an all around good story.

Much respect, show me a kickstarter and I'll donate.

Much respect indeed. There's a gofundme link in the article you sourced.

ETA:

Holy #. He raised $186k in SIX DAYS???

edit on 18-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Nice, didn't see it thanks!

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

That is one determined youth. And you know what, its that drive that brings people to the front steps of their dreams.
He's going to be a millionaire someday. And I hope he always remembers where he came from.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Hopefully he stays the course.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

So this is how to make easy money these days ? Tell people a sad story and go online so people can donate to your cause ?

I should of put my life story online a long time ago damn..way to go though kid, you're winning.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

This is a good attitude to have! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Good for you for posting this. Saw it earlier but was mostly taken by the officers who paid for him a place to sleep and opened the go fund me page for him.

More media needs to show this. A nice counter to all the 'hate the cops' and BLM the MSM is promoting.

Count on you to step up and post S&F.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I read this on complex the other day and shed a tear of happiness when I read it; the fact that police came and helped this guy get a motel room, and later sharing the story on facebook which prompted tons of of support for the dude.. I just think in today's climate; it's just really nice to hear something positive like that transpiring between cops and a young black man. And the dude is just so grateful; says he's going to keep everyone updated on his grades and stuff, I just shed more tears writing this god damn. Really inspirational stuff; glad I saw this in 2 different places

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I once walked home from my friends house 3 miles in a snow storm with nothing but shorts and a t-shirt on. The only warmth I had was holding a cup of hot cocoa I was given for free by a nice gas station attendant who took pity on me. Rather than drink it I cupped it in my hands and held it close for warmth. I did this because I had a paper due for school the next day and had no ride that night to get back home. Where's my kick starter?

Seriously, lots of people have similar stories like this.

Would I do it again? Hell fricken no, not in a million years. I'll take the F thank you very much. But I still did it.

I'd say most people have a dumb story like that. The guy even said he considered going back but had come so far he decided to see it through. Point of no return pretty much. Even he thought it was regretting the idea some on the way there, same as I was on my little trek. Nothing special here folks.

Just another idiot that won the circumstantial lotto. Everyone has a story that coulda turned out the same had luck been on their side.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I used to also hear stories of kids going to college while they are homeless. He's prob one of the few kids who got lucky in finding some support.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
I once walked home from my friends house 3 miles in a snow storm with nothing but shorts and a t-shirt on. The only warmth I had was holding a cup of hot cocoa I was given for free by a nice gas station attendant who took pity on me. Rather than drink it I cupped it in my hands and held it close for warmth. I did this because I had a paper due for school the next day and had no ride that night to get back home. Where's my kick starter?

Seriously, lots of people have similar stories like this.

Would I do it again? Hell fricken no, not in a million years. I'll take the F thank you very much. But I still did it.

I'd say most people have a dumb story like that. The guy even said he considered going back but had come so far he decided to see it through. Point of no return pretty much. Even he thought it was regretting the idea some on the way there, same as I was on my little trek. Nothing special here folks.

Just another idiot that won the circumstantial lotto. Everyone has a story that coulda turned out the same had luck been on their side.

dude your story is not similar lol

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

6 hours on a bike to register? Why not use online or over the phone registration?

I used to know people that spent 4-5 hours a day to get to classes, then another 4-5 to get home. Hell I used to walk for 3 to get to school.

Sounds like a slow news day.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 711117

Yeah it's not, a 6 hour bike ride isn't that bad. I use to do that for fun lots of people do. The walk in the blizzard was a whole hell of a lot worse. Both our stories are for furthering education. Mine was turning in a paper, his was registering.

Also as others have said, many do close to that back and forth daily.

This guy is nothing more than a lucky shlub. He's done nothing spectacular. A six hour bike ride can suck, but so does walking in a blizzard without the proper attire.

I mean you guys act like he marched for days. Are we really so far gone they we think a six hour bike ride is some great sacrifice? Is this what passes for an epic journey these days? My god people.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Yeah it's not, a 6 hour bike ride isn't that bad. I use to do that for fun lots of people do. The walk in the blizzard was a whole hell of a lot worse. Both our stories are for furthering education. Mine was turning in a paper, his was registering.

Also as others have said, many do close to that back and forth daily.

This guy is nothing more than a lucky shlub. He's done nothing spectacular. A six hour bike ride can suck, but so does walking in a blizzard without the proper attire.

I mean you guys act like he marched for days. Are we really so far gone they we think a six hour bike ride is some great sacrifice? Is this what passes for an epic journey these days? My god people.

There's a reason why people are supporting this dude lol, obviously there's tons of people that go through a similar struggle to achieve their education, it's a cold world. It's the timing of what is going on in America, every little detail (lil bro's bike!) down to the dude's attitude and appreciation that makes this a great story and has made it blow up as much as it has. Does that make sense?

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Of course the guy appreciates it, only an idiot wouldn't. Are you kidding me? It's really just a luck story. Another person given success through lucky circumstances. At this point, he's now null in void for being a "built his success himself" example if he succeeds after this. Another example of lucky breaks being the path to success. Many people do the same sort of stuff, and don't get this lucky break.

Right place, right time, that's it. His appreciation is just him not being a complete moron and knowing when he has a good thing going and who's responsible for it. I'll admit though, a lot of people are complete morons and wouldn't know how to handle that scenario.

My issue is people want to use this as a "See this is how you go places, this guys got the right spirit." It's bull#, the fact that he got lucky and recognized for something that happens in many peoples lives at various times does not make him better or special, it makes him lucky.

Once again, riding a bike 6 hours is nothing extraordinary, and being no appreciative would make him an idiot.

The cops helping him out, well that's a decent story with all the bad press they are getting, but making him out as some super determined primed to be the epitome of what it takes to be a success story... actually I take that back, he is a great example of what it takes to be a success, be lucky.

I mean let's think about this, what the guy did = nothing special, what the guy got, right place right, which he handled well by being appreciative, which results in, media exposure, and a kickstarter to help him by pass the hurdles others, who despite doing similar or maybe even worse things, don't get that hand up, so despite many who might work harder than him, thanks to his 15 minutes of fame granting him exposure, and a kickstarter will allow to accomplish more success than they for half the work.

Hell even the school he'll now be attending wants him to succeed more. All eyes are now on this kid. His success will be a great story for the school. He's walking advertisement for them, the more successful he is, the better they look.

So yeah he's actually the perfect poster child for what it takes to succeed. Not hard work, but right place at the right time luck.

The people making that same trek if not more by riding their bike hours to get to and from are certainly working harder than his making the trip once.

(post by stephen1205 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I see it as an example of making your own luck.
None of this would have happened without him taking that ride, and frankly, 6 hours is a killer.
I used to ride to work in Worcester now and then. 32 miles.
It took 2 hours 10 to get there and 3hrs 20 to get back.
I was a corpse after it.
Fair play to the kid for getting off his rear, and whatever luck befalls him, he earned it.

top topics

join