It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crying a River - Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
In most of my threads I write that I don't believe in God; and it's actually true I've never believed in God and I've never attended a Church, I've never donated or really prayed.

So, today my girlfriend decided to watch "The Son of God"

She's not religious either; However, something literally went horribly wrong for me

I'm usually not emotional for dramatic movies, I watched titanic, the notebook, fault in our stars etc She's the one that does the water works and I'm usually the one to comfort her.

Around towards the end, I broke down crying and I do not know why. It's almost as if someone blew up a dam and a flood of gushing water started to surge, I felt something odd it wasn't sadness, sorrow, guilt or anything like that. I do not know what emotion I felt but I was crying like I was having an emotional breakdown and she kept asking me "Are you ok? What's wrong?" over and over again.

While balling my eyes out in front of her I kept saying "I'm sorry" over and over again....

Why would I be crying?
Why would something strike a nerve like that?
Why cry over a story that I believe is a lie?
Why am I saying I'm sorry?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheChuckster

Why cry over a story that I believe is a lie? Why am I saying I'm sorry?

It's a good story! An allegory that applies to everyone's journey through slings and arrows of mortality, seeking the divine that lies within us all.

Good cinematography, dramatic music, pretty actors.......I cried while watching Doctor Zhivago and felt like apologizing after watching Schindler's List. SOme people live their lives for Star Trek conventions!

edit on 18-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I understand. Although you profess disbelief in the religious hocus pocus that we've been subjected to since childhood REGARDLESS of the fact you were never compelled or forced to go to church, sunday school, etc., it's still a powerful story that you know and have known your entire life. Add to this a Director of a movie attempting to illicit an emotional reaction from you and you have the basis of what happened.

Another example: Movies about the paranormal. They're "B" movies, yet they can scare the hell out of you! How? A dramatic build up of music at just the right time and even though you know intellectually it's all fake, your body will react. I don't watch those things because I don't like being manipulated like that. Basically I don't like the stress.

Plus, although you day you disbelieve, you're still connected to the story by your disbelief. You either believe something, don't believe something, or believe NOT. That's not the same as "not believing" which would be characterized by someone who is ignorant of the story and has never or only vaguely heard of it. But you're not ignorant of the story. It's a big part of your culture and you've taken a stance against it. You are "in a relationship" with the story.

So....I'm not surprised. You've got an emotionally-rich old story that many around you believe wholeheartedly coupled with a Director manipulating you just by how he tells the story, plus, even though you don't "believe," the whole thing is still there in your mind. You reject its idiocy, but it's far more compelling a story to be dissuaded by your disbelief.

Perhaps this can give you some insight into the mindset of believers.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I agree with what windword said.

I actually had a day a few weeks ago where I wanted to cry. It was a profoundly strong emotion that's not easy to put to words, but it was sort of some kind of morality like duty and regret.. Like I should live better and I'm so grateful for being alive.

I got drunk one night lost my keys, noticed I lost my keys when I finally walked all the way to my house. had to break in.. then noticed I had spent over $70 in under 2 hours....

then woke up the next morning and all that came back to me, and it turned into regret about so many things.

I used those emotions to cut way back on drinking, re-evaluate what it is I'm doing here on earth, and then I got another job.

I'm quite happy with myself.

movies that get me are like Fox and the Hound or Lion King... "dad... dad wake up." ugh...

stories don't have to be true to tell the truth.

you have a conscience, so it's all relatable to deep feelings you hold in side.

"this is the story of a girl who cried a river and drowned the whole world."

edit on 18-7-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

It sounds like you were touched by the Holy Spirit.

My friend is a diehard atheist who's brother is a fundamentalist Christian.

To pacify his brother, he went to church with him once. When he saw people going up to the alter and falling out on the floor, he thought they were faking.

So he went up there to prove to himself that they were full of it. Five minutes later he woke up on the floor flopping like a fish, speaking in tongues, and crying his eyes out.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I don't know why all of a sudden you are crying. Maybe a past life emotion was struck (I am a self-acclaimed reincarnation enthusiast).

I don't believe in weddings, I think its 2 shmucks doing something stupid, but I still cry at them, I don't know why.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

How is bawling over a Jesus movie a religious conspiracy?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
We are miserable creatures.... living a short life , seeing and hearing a very short spectrum of light and sound waves... and we are facing many mysteries that we don't have an answer for.

The only fact that keeps us from seeing the truth is our arrogance...

IMO when the arrogance has been put aside by some means , and when we face the truth , we understand the catastrophe and we cry.

In Islam , crying is a tool in the 3rd jihad , because it helps us remind ourselves how miserable we are facing our ego and invisible enemies.

(god please help a man who his only property is hope and his only weapon is crying) ===> Komeil praying by 1st Imam.
edit on 18-7-2016 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

So he went up there to prove to himself that they were full of it. Five minutes later he woke up on the floor flopping like a fish, speaking in tongues, and crying his eyes out.

Makes you wonder what they put in that grape juice.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Sounds like it just screwed with your inner emotions.

Its not really surprising though... I mean, Christianity's been around for many years, specifically because of it's a profound effect on human psychology.

But just because a particular practice has the ability to mess with our heads, doesn't mean it's 'supernatural'.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It looks like a beautiful Hollywood version of the King James version of the story of Jesus.

The present day story of Jesus has been so refined and manipulated that it is meant for an emotional response by the masses-and it mostly works.

You'd have to be really angry at God, jaded or never heard of him not to react as expected; with extreme emotion to the unfair and horrendous treatment of this gentle, sweet, forgiving Jesus.

It's a great story. It's like when my ex cried at the "The Elephant Man" especially when the music rose at the end. I had to move three rows back I was so embarrassed. It was a very sad movie and I can't say I enjoyed it. I felt manipulated.

So, really, you just felt the Hollywood expected emotion-you were manipulated. Doesn't mean anything more; that is, unless you truly believe that version of Jesus-there are so many.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm not totally without feeling-I cried like a baby during the crash of the ship in the first Star Trek TNG movie-true-still do.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucketperhaps programming folks into tears? I felt understandings in the story, haven't watched the images of what they all looked like.
Sorry, OP... the clod scheme is harsh.color!~auto correct says clod.
Great thread!😅🌁🌌☔🌠

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

That's freedom in Christ that is tugging on your heart. Making room for his message in your heart.
““But we are descendants of Abraham,” they said. “We have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean, ‘You will be set free’?” Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin. A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free. Yes, I realize that you are descendants of Abraham. And yet some of you are trying to kill me because there’s no room in your hearts for my message. I am telling you what I saw when I was with my Father. But you are following the advice of your father.””
‭‭John‬ ‭8:33-38‬ ‭NLT‬‬
bible.us...

““Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:20‬ ‭NLT‬‬
bible.us...

Love, forgiveness, acceptance, his grace is enough.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Makes you wonder what they put in that grape juice.

Tell yourself whatever you need to hun. I almost envy him because I've yet to experience that.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I wonder why not? Perhaps, you're the one telling yourself stuff.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

How is bawling over a Jesus movie a religious conspiracy?
Half the planet believing in something that doesn't exist, greatest conspiracy of all time. The OP merely demonstrates that people can find the stories moving.

OP, humans have emotions, and you're human and found the story moving, that's why. If you've never been emotionally moved by other stories that's surprising.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

The Holy Spirit is working on you, pray. Ask the Lord to prove He is real to you.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

The Holy Spirit is working on you, pray. Ask the Lord to prove He is real to you.

Chuckster,
I just want to say one thing....there IS a Spirit of Truth. It's real. I get the emotion you felt when watching that movie.
I watched the "Passion of the Christ" by Mel Gibson and sobbed like a baby through the whole thing. There is something about Jesus that truly touches us.
The hardest thing to make sense of, is this world. I don't have the answers for all of that. It ticks me off, makes me question , and just frustrates me to no end.
I will say this though, whatever emotions you experienced while seeing Jesus die brutally, are for a reason. I'm not an unbeliever. I'm just trying to figure out how to make sense of a book (Bible) that I used to think was "infallible"...and now know isn't, to all of the "God experiences" I've had.
Just trust your gut. There is nothing wrong with being moved by what Jesus went through.
If that movie moved you, then if you watch the above movie I mentioned....prepare to be devastated.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

"THE LORD" is Baal...or Yahweh. He's NOT the true God. Baal MEAN'S "Lord". Look it up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join