It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warrick Dunn’s full statement on the Baton Rouge killings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Dunn is an Atlanta Falcon's running back and a home town guy in Baton Rouge. He is a graduate of Catholic High School in Baton Rouge. His mother, Betty Smothers, was killed while working an off-duty uniformed police job in security. At the time, the entire town rallied around to support the family. THAT is what Baton Rouge is really about. I know the town will do the same for the officers slain today.

My heart breaks for the families and law enforcement officers in Baton Rouge who have lost loved ones. I have been in similar shoes - it will change their lives and leave them reeling with questions for years to come. It is a shame - so many officers who are out there on the front lines have tremendous heart for what they do. These acts of violence don’t solve anything and if my voice can add to the movement to stop it - then I’d consider that a good thing. I struggle emotionally to understand why and how police officers are being targeted in the way they are.

“The reality of our world is that there is a lot of unrest in our communities, particularly where police shootings are happening. It takes me back, of course, to when my black mother was ambushed and killed - by a black man. And all of this comes at a terribly personal time for me. Next week, I will attend trial for a re-sentencing hearing for my mother’s murder which happened 23 years ago. I hate to even think of what this entire ordeal will cost our community, but I know - it is too much. And even though my Mother lost her life all those years ago, the men who were tried by a jury of their peers have been kept alive by a prison system that has seen to their every need. Something that was denied to my Mother.

“We can’t just sit around and talk about how horrible all this is - we have to do something. And that means it ALWAYS starts with the individual.

“One of the things I am doing is taking the role of fatherhood very seriously so I can raise a son who makes a positive contribution. I am striving to be there for him emotionally, physically and intellectually. I want to give him something I never had because the statistics proves it makes a difference when a child has an active father in his or her life. And we have to do more to build empathy in children so they have a hard time treating one another badly. It all starts with kids, so we all have to care about kids. Especially kids at risk for never learning how to socially and emotionally relate.

“Another thing we can all do is stress to our elected leaders that we have to look at the issue of guns in our country with serious eyes and intent instead of (through) the prism of a political stand-off. And then we have to give justice a chance to work. When people are intentional about their use of guns against others - we have to make sure the message that crime doesn’t pay - means something. Today, I wonder about that because from my view with my Mother’s trial, justice has failed our family, but I believe we can and must do better.

“We also have to challenge the status quo and ensuring that the laws on the books are enforced. Of course, I know there are officers who do not do the right thing - that is true in every profession. But when murder is a planned event - the rule of law should matter and loopholes or sophisticated lawyering have to stop. Why have laws if we aren’t going to enforce them?

“I feel close to this subject - it has touched me very personally. I speak for no one other than myself and I support law enforcement. I also support the community of Baton Rouge because they were there for me and my family. If I could have any effect, I’d ask the community to stop the violence, to cool down and to come together to figure this out. There is nothing we can’t do, but we have to work together to make something positive come from yet another tragedy in my home town.”

www.myajc.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Thats a name I haven't heard in a long time, but I remember him at florida state and also remember his back story. He's always been a class act and strong community leader.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Warrick Dunn has been retired. For quite some time - 5 plus years off the top of my head.

I do remember several sports television spots highlighting the philanthropic work he has been doing since his second year in the league. He's a humble, gentle man who never seeks attention and does all his charity work as a community memeber - he never plays the NFL card. Great, stand-up guy. We need more Warrick Dunn's.

Thx for posting.

ETA: According to wiki, Dunn has a minority stake in the ATL Falcons - maybe that is the genesis of the misattribution as a current RB.
edit on 17-7-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: clarification

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
See? Now that's the kind of statement we need from the very top.

One of biggest wasted opportunities Obama had was to make a lot of himself as a family man. To showcase his complete family and be a spokesmodel to the African-American community on fatherhood and how important it is and why. While I was never likely to agree with him politically on policy, had he and Michelle launched that as their social initiative - strong families - I would have backed them to the hilt.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Warrick Dunn defines what it means to have class in the NFL. Beyond reproach.

top topics

join