It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Identifying with Islam as a form of rebellion for disenfranchised youth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Please move to social issues and civil unrest. Thanks.

Many of the recent shootings and killings (in the US) have shooters or killers who claim to be Muslim. What I think is happening is that Islam is seen as rebellion against western culture. When people are struggling economically and being bombarded with fake information about how great the economy is and how low the unemployment rate is and how things are really looking up they are are wondering why they are struggling so much.

Then what happens is they are also bombarded with this narrative of victimization and how ISIS is beating the west in the Middle East and how they've been successful in attacking the world they begin to identify with Islam.

It's very unhealthy to continue to promote the fact that the economy is great the GDP is up things are looking good again yet we have boomers coming out of retirement and Millennials struggling tremendously to pay off their massive amounts of student debt and having a hard time finding entry level employment for their field.

These issues are the driving force behind our cultural division and recent acts of violence.

edit on 7/17/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/17/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Are you suggesting that the religion of Islam isn't teaching hate and radicalizing these youth? I can see your point on a small scale, but I don't believe that the broader problem isn't directly related to radical Islam.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Unrelated.

What I'm doing is identifying the reason as to why they are choosing this route or why they are turning to Islam not what Islam is teaching or where they get the idea to turn violent.

They may have already had violent tendencies or they may be getting taken advantage of by radical clerics thats more of a case by case basis.

I just want to point out that there seems to be a lot of connections to Islam by the current violence because of these reasons.

I'm sure many more people are not violent that turn to Islam as a form of rebellion, they are more moderate.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Are you suggesting that the religion of Islam isn't teaching hate and radicalizing these youth? I can see your point on a small scale, but I don't believe that the broader problem isn't directly related to radical Islam.

I see absolutely no hint that OP is suggesting such a thing.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Unrelated

Wrong, very related, and far more succinct than your OP. While you have a point, you're not taking in the whole picture...

You trip me out dude, one minute you're throwing down righteous posts, the next you show your ass.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Hey One, want a laugh??? Best in Show thinks I'm you.

LOL.

Not possible. We only agree occasionally.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I disagree

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Ok we often agree, but not always?

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Ok we often agree, but not always?

Actually I find it interesting that we do agree as much as we do while at the same time appear to be in what some would consider completely opposite camps. One of the things I like about some of your threads is that they do present indications of a self-developing mind. Wrong half the time but wrong of your own individual struggle to come to grips with this confusing world. I myself would be happy to be wrong only fifty percent of the time.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

The only way to get better is take chances and come out of your comfort zone.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
There's a modicum of truth to oq's premise

I was a dope fiend at 15, and a criminal. My brother one day brought me a Quran rather than some dope. I read it.

I was going to buy some dope and a cop almost blew my brains out as he was running after another criminal and I saw that as an omen…Get out before it’s too late.

I got out

I joined a Muslim community and it saved my life. I graduated from Malcolm X University. That’s a school where you teach yourself.

I saw True Islam save many lives and turn around many peoples lives

If you get into Islam for the wrong reasons like militancy you’ll be led astray. Or get hooked up with a Wahhabi school of thought you could go astray and end up like many of the lunatics we all know

ALL TERRORIST ARE WAHHABIS

edit on 17-7-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think we all have an inherent need to feel like we've done something meaningful and impactful with our lives and the more avenues close on us economically and socially; the more desperate and withdrawn we become as individuals. Then we just become easy pickings for others with an agenda.

There are always evil people out there that are willing to take what's left of your positive energy and corrupt it.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
When I was coming up, during the Cold War, the Soviet Union was always "Brand B", and angry young men could turn red to get people's attention.

Pink Floyd sang about how "Ya bought a guitar, to punish yer ma."

But after you'd freaked out your parent with that Rock & Roll, or the Beastie Boys, you needed something that looked intellectual, with signs that you could reference to demonstrate your bonafides.

Das Kapital ran to like, 8 volumes. But you could carry around a copy of "Communist Manifesto" and freak out everybody. Just start talking about "expropriate the means of production to crush the oppressor classes" and you automatically became the vanguard of the revolution.

I think it's exactly the same thing with Islam for today's youth. I'm sure it freaks out the parents, and lets you pose as the brave outcast, sternly standing alone against the onslaught of western secular corporatist culture.

You probably don't even have to learn much arabic to freak them out and make the girls swoon.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

ALL TERRORIST ARE WAHHABIS

Not Quite:

mobile.reuters.com... 2FworldNews+%2528Reuters+World+News%2529

Sun Jul 17, 2016

Iraqi Shi'ite cleric tells followers to target U.S. troops fighting Islamic State

(Reuters) - Powerful Shi'ite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr instructed his followers on Sunday to target U.S. troops deploying to Iraq as part of the military campaign against Islamic State.

U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said on Monday the Pentagon would dispatch 560 additional troops to help Iraqi forces retake the northern city of Mosul in an offensive planned for later this year.

Sadr, who rose to prominence when his Mahdi Army battled U.S. troops after the 2003 invasion, posted the comments on his official website after a follower asked for his response to the announcement.

"They are a target for us," Sadr said, without offering details.

The Mahdi Army was disbanded in 2008, replaced by the Peace Brigades, which helped push back Islamic State from near Baghdad in 2014 under a government-run umbrella, and maintains a presence in the capital and several other cities.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
What I think is happening is that Islam is seen as rebellion against western culture.

Like the Baby Boomers became hippies to protest their culture without knowing what it was really all about or why they were protesting?

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Once upon a time there was a rich father who had two sons. He was very old and about to die. So someday he wrote his will and , some days later he died. As soon as the western son understood the fact about his father , he looked for the will and found it. He understood the fact that all the properties of his father had been granted to his eastern son.

So he planned.

He decided to have an affair with the wife of his brother and make some bastard children who would obey what he would command. He did it and he called those bastard children , Wahhabi.

So when the western brother wanted to do some evil action and steal some money from his wealthy brother , he would toss his Wahhabi children some bone , those bastards would come and disturb his own true sons. Then he would make an speech and convince his true sons to attack and steal some money from their wealthy uncle.

True story of Islam-west-Wahhabis-western people

edit on 18-7-2016 by mideast because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join