It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do I tell my friend who keeps preaching to me???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Windword is right. Your "friend" has issues. Maybe suggest he talks with a priest about his fears.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Tell Him in gentle way If he doesn't stop the preaching that You're going break ties.If It were Me,I'd tell Him to go Fck himself..

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: greydaze
Tell Him in gentle way If he doesn't stop the preaching that You're going break ties.

I actually did this when I was in a similar situation with a very close friend. Conventional religion wasn't the subject, but beliefs on another matter. The subject doesn't really matter though... If someone is obviously trying to convince me of something or get me to jump on their bandwagon, by consistently bringing up the topic and speaking as if they KNOW something that none of us really does, ESPECIALLY if it's unsolicited, I'm going to take a stand.

We were 'apart' for several months, at least. When they got the same treatment from others in their lives, they realized that they needed to stop preaching, or chase everyone out of their lives. Fortunately, they decided to stop preaching.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

Start preaching back to him about converting to Hinduism... and that he should covert too...until he gets it.

Also...coffee? That just winds him up. Meetup next time in front of a local Jewish Synagogue. Preach back about becoming a Avon or Mary Kay cosmetic distributor.

Seriously... if he continues, he isn't gonna stop. You may have to distance yourself. Good luck....worked for me and a Jehovah Witness friend.

Best. MS

**PS Without knowing him and you? I think you may be one of the only...maybe THE only one, who listens to him. As long as you do..he'll keep talking.
edit on 17-7-2016 by mysterioustranger because: fat fingers

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Religious fanaticism is a mental disorder, ask him why a loving god would send an unbaptized person even a baby to hell forever for one perceived infraction, totally illogical.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If you truly care about him and value your friendship, be honest with him and tell him how you feel. A relationship cannot be authentic without honesty.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
just change the subject.if he starts ranting about hell, say something like "speaking of hell it sure is hot today"

you could also point out to him that you are both christians you both believe in the same bible,the same god,the same jesus,etc The point there being that as a protestant and a catholic your religious beliefs have more similarities than differences. The reason I would mention that is because he is probably trying to convert you.maybe pointing out the similarities in your beliefs might make him realize that you don`t need to be converted.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think he is "trying" to convert you to his way of thinking/religion etc..Tell him how you feel on said subject and get him to stop preaching or tell him to move on/change subject.

Ether way he needs to stop or most likely your friendship will.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Windword is right. Your "friend" has issues. Maybe suggest he talks with a priest about his fears.

No, don't send him back to the priest, their the ones feeding him these fears.

Perhaps your friends annoying behavior is a cry for help. You may represent something that he truly wants, a belief in God that's not based in fear. Alot of what he might be saying is designed to protect him from what he actually wants freedom from religious fear. Pray for him and read the Bible, Christ may be using you to help him find true freedom in Christ. Remember the power of Gods grace within the gospel message.

“For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love, and sound judgment. So don’t be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, or of me His prisoner. Instead, share in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God. He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:7-9‬ ‭HCSB‬‬

bible.com...
edit on 17-7-2016 by Observationalist because: Added reply to OP

edit on 17-7-2016 by Observationalist because: Added video

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Preaching to the choir.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I just say I'm Wiccan. They rush off to pray for me.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Perhaps something akin to:

"I have heard you the 1st, 2nd, 25th time. The more you say, the more you push me away from your beliefs.

I suggest you talk to God more about me than talking to me more about your views on God. If you do not hear what I'm saying, I may have to quit listening to you totally about anything religious or spiritual.

Now, please tell me what you just heard me say, in your own words."

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

he's only doing it because he loves you, his friend. appreciate that even if you don't accept what he says.
I think you should be honest with him and talk with him about how you feel.
edit on 17-7-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Fahrenheit

while I agree with you that fanatics are nuts, the same can be said for those fanatically opposed to religion (ie. the actually super religious anti-religion rhetoric of new atheists).

Just being fair here.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Perhaps you could change the topic by bringing a news paper to your next outing together... just, see sports or front page, or world news and as he starts with the same olé same olé... say, ''oh, I'm not up for debate today.''...
glance at an article and be all, ''this is interesting...' see what his expression is and go from there... hopefully he runs out of steam and the conversation well is bubbling with a change.
Well that's my tid bit of advice
Unless you don't realize you actually do want to discuss differences and likeness in those two branches...
Maybe a squirrel will be in tree and you can look up, smile and appreciate nature with your friend?
Hope it goes well next tome.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

Funny 😌

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic so glad to read this post, I understand what you say and I relate to unwanted preaching of any sort.
I try not to preach, just be unafraid of being hated for a certain religions title..so I let people know a..a.weather I claim this or that... like if I married an Islamic man, our two religions would be married too and I shouldn't be scared to tell people.
Same thing goes when a person is going on and on about metaphysical properties of this or that... and it is time to switch gears, change topic.
It is good to take a stand, and just say,'' right now in'm just not very interested...perhaps some other time.''(maybbe secretly never🎌)
Thank you for sharing. Your thoughts.😊

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
thanks for all the advice. No, he's a good friend so I don't want to do anything too edgy but I'll have to try a few things and see what works.

What strikes me as odd though is just that he thinks because he's read something or someone has told him something that that makes it beyond absolute truth. Yes I understand u need faith too but I think when it comes to the creation story and how it all works that it's near impossible to know the exact under pinnings of how it all works. What we must do and not do. What we must believe and not believe.

My biggest challenge is that I essentially think that most all big institutions of society r to be avoided at all cost. They're MO is that they're there to add value and help but instead they mainly just steal kill and destroy. U want an easy life just avoid all big institutions and corporations as much as possible. It's that simple. So they way I see it is churches have been cooped just like everything else that was once good. Now there just businesses. Out to get ur money. I can have a much more authentic spiritual experience by just praying. I don't want any middle man that just wants to steal my money and push their cooped church addenda. So anyway he's the opposit. He goes there every Sunday and thinks that everything they tell him is like straight from God.

I mean and there's just so many other things. But ya I just find any institutions out there are most certainly risky as they're goal is to steal ur time money and energy. And brainwash u. Like u can't get to know God without them. Or u can't get healthy without a Dr. Etc etc. It's like I dont think so! In at last able to think a tiny bit freely from all the endless brainwashing out there and I plan to keep it that way.

It's strange that way in the world we live in where virtually anywhere u go there's so many businesses out to try and cooped u. They want ur money time and energy. And in return u get brain washing. Again I do believe in God but not the God that man uses as there icon to steal from the dumbed down sheeple. I'd rather just go direct to the source.

Problem is is that we don't know if the world is like a clockwork project where the maker doesn't get all that involved. Like so u tend to think that u only have yourself to rely on. God as well but don't think he's gonna magically give u what u want. U still got to go out n work hard for it. Otherwise it won't happen. But ya as far as the Catholics go I tend to think of them as just another big institution and u know what I think about those.

edit on 17-7-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Start talking about the earth being flat, or hollow or something.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Personally, I think Life is too short to put "up with" people when there are hundreds of people that you can get on with. It is not about religion (the subject could be anything), he does not respect your boundaries and the fact that you are asking advice here means that he is getting to you.

"Advice" is something you ask for when you really know what you should do but need someone else to spell it out for you

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join