It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting heard in Ankara, military jets & helicopters flying over city

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

edit on 15-7-2016 by FamCore because: nvm

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I just wish we knew something about which group(s) are carrying out this coup d'etat.

Will this become another power vacuum, like in Iraq?

No because it's the Turkish military. If successful they will maintain power until a new government is formed. It's not like the military was crippled, it's the executive branch being routed.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Erdogan has said many times there is only one islam and no such thing as a distinction between so-called "moderate muslims and "radical" muslims.

ISIS=ISLAM

ISLAM=ISIS
edit on 15-7-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

thank you for clarifying this for me

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There are unconfirmed reports that Erdogan has left the country by private jet twitter.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: solidshot

"And STAY OUT you POS"

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

I just wish we knew something about which group(s) are carrying out this coup d'etat.

No because it's the Turkish military. If successful they will maintain power until a new government is formed. It's not like the military was crippled, it's the executive branch being routed.

I hope you are correct.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
German news report that the military claims to have taken over successfully.

Link to news (in german) from 10 minutes ago.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Sounds like it's military vs government. A friend of mine works at a large company that has an office in Turkey. His company has had a lot of email chatter from people on the ground about what's going on. Looks like it's the police backed by Erdogan fighting against a military uprising.

Not sure what military faction it is, but this has the potential to go in any direction. Just imagine if Turkey fails and there's even more refugee's, this time without a default state to send them. Of if Turkey seeks closer ties with Russia or with the West. This has the potential to develop into anything.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The Turkish military does this from time to time. They are a lot like Egypt. And just like in Egypt the US will have act surprised and angry that a democratically elected leader has been removed from power while at the same time giving the military a wink and a nod in private.

When the Egyptian military took out the Muslim Brotherhood the Obama administration refused to call it a coup to avoid breaking US law that says they can not support a coup taking power. Then when they were boxed into a corner they put up the least amount of sanctions by law and held up military aid. The Egyptian military held a new election and then a mass trial for Muslim Brotherhood members where the were executed or put in prison. The next day the US resumed aid and also made sure the aid that had been suspended was then payed in full.

I suspect the US will deal with Turkey the same way. Pretend to be upset, avoid calling it a coup and then get the Turkish military to have a new election ASAP so things go back to the way they were.
edit on 15-7-2016 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: solidshot
There are unconfirmed reports that Erdogan has left the country by private jet twitter.com...

Imagine my surprise......

Wait for it..... Keep waiting.....

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I think the reason why this military coup is happening, is because people are tired of how things are. So, I seriously doubt they would just go to how things were.

Let's hope this is a bright day in the turkish history, where their connections with terrorist groups stops.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

That only happens when the U.S. Is responsible. .....that remains to be seen.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Certainly going to be an interesting weekend, wonder if this starts the brooding civil war in Turkey, I'm curious though what the Kurdish populace will do during this, if they will take their chances for claiming territory during this mess

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

I think the reason why this military coup is happening, is because people are tired of how things are. So, I seriously doubt they would just go to how things were.

Let's hope this is a bright day in the turkish history, where their connections with terrorist groups stops.

Amen.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Erdogans AKP nearly got the absolute majority during last winters election.
So he has some undeniable support from the populace. It's hard to say how they'll react to a coup by the predominantly secular military.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I thought the Clintons and Obamas were tight with Erdogan.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I hope they are successful.

We need Turkish forces to lead the way.

The Kurds want a State.

I see this as a blow to the Brotherhood and the Terrorists.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It is becoming clearer that the military have indeed taken over, advisories have gone out to the French in Turkey already from France, and jets are indeed passing overhead sand that all airports are now closed, though I thought I saw at least one heavy mover passing over on the TV pictures.
Coups then are not a thing of the past in Turkey, and there is an unpopular government in Turkey at the moment, at least unpopular for a large number of the Turkish people.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: roswell1987

I dont know much about Turkey's politics.

He was democratically elected?

Why are people saying he's a bad guy?

edit on 15-7-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join