It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why it’s not “Islamic Terrorism”.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So I just watched Obama deliver a speech in the aftermath of the horrible attacks in France and it’s interesting to note that yet again he has avoided the use of the term “Islamic terrorism” or “Islamic extremism”. On the other hand however the French president has called the attacks a act of Islamic terrorism so who is right? Now I know that quite a lot of people on this site think that the use of the adjective “Islamic” is appropriate when discussing the likes of the events in France recently however I agree with Obama on this and I too believe that it is wrong to describe those who commit these acts of terrorism as being “Islamic terrorists”.

Let me explain why.

Firstly it’s to do with the message that the phrase sends out to the Islamic world, when a statesmen or even when the media uses the phrase “Islamic terrorism” it sends out a message that the west is treating this as an Islamic problem. It would be like talking about “Catholic terrorists”, “Black terrorists”, “Gay terrorists” or “American terrorists” it creates a impression in the mind of individuals who identify as catholic, black, gay or in this case Islamic that it is they who are the problem. It has been quite well established that this notion that the west views Islam as a problem or is at war with Islam is a huge factor in the radicalisation of those who commit acts of terrorism.

The second reason that I do not believe that the use of the phase “Islamic terrorism” is far bigger however, essentially I believe that it is wrong to label most of these terrorists as acting under the direction of an Islamic ideology. Rather I take the view that the founders of the forerunner to ISIS, Al-Qa’ida created their own fresh ideology, their own interpretation of Islam that is as different as Judaism and Catholicism. Essentially they have created their own faith over decades that in the later part of the last century really came into its own as a new religious ideology that draws heavily on Muslim tradition yet is still distinctly different. At best what we are fighting is not Islam but rather a very small sect of Islam a cult of sorts, they are the Islamic equivalent of the Branch of Davidians on a bigger scale.

For those two big reasons I believe that the phase “Islamic terrorism”, because not only is the adjective wrong as we are not looking at people who are followers of Islam but rather are followers of a cult and that by mislabelling them to encompass the whole of Islam we encourage radicalisation. And by not recognising this we are creating a culture whereby we are blaming the Islamic world for this when in reality it is not Islam that its at fault but rather a violent cult that has emerged. I believe that when we get this wrong we are fundamentally misunderstanding this brand of terrorism and as such our efforts to debate it and to fight it are never going to be successful.

Let me be clear this is a opinion, it is based on my own understanding and research if you disagree with me on this that is fine, if you agree with me that is also fine. I think this is a interesting concept to discuss but it would be nice if we could do it without accusing me of being a leftist Obama loving hippy.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is a bogus issue entirely that Obama is doing to actually fuel hatred for Muslims.

The labeling of criminals as “Islamic Terrorist’s” is only an identification issue…that’s all

Everyone knows and acknowledges that these people are notreally practicing real Islam which obviously forbids such evil actions.

Just because these depraved evil lunatics call themselves “Muslim” we all know doesn’t mean their real Muslims, everybody understands that.

Islam means three things:

Peace…submission and safety

Obviously these demonic killers aren’t anything resembling the meaning of Islam’

Just like the genocidal “Christians” who murdered Native Americans and enslaved Africans are Christ like.

Further note:

The deep black operation, going on since 911, is still in operation to destroy the reputation of Islam….And also to destabilize the Muslim ME.

Obama and his lies and deception are a major part of this operation

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

these terror attacks have been committed by Islamic Extremists. They are nut jobs who wish to take the lives of others as well as themselves in a Jihad. They are the problem and pussy footing around the reality of who and what they are will only proliferate the issue.

Are all Muslims doing this? No. The extremists are. Just like when a Christian extremist blows of an abortion clinic. Call a spade a spade. Those with such fragile feelings that using proper terminology frightens them, well, they need to find a nice safe place way the hell away from the rest of us.

These nut jobs are looking for a war. I'd say they are close to getting their wish.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Political correctness aside, it is Islamic terrorism.

In Saudi Arabia, children textbooks describe how it is ok to kill non-Muslims.

The majority of Muslims believe Sharia law is alright.

Obfuscation will not work here. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

So you believe these terrorists are Muslim in the same way your neighbour down the street is a Muslim because that is what the term "Islamic" terrorist implies?

Do you not think he might be a bit pissed off if you think that he is the same as the guy in France that kills 84 people just because he also prays 4 times a day?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I"m one who agrees with this position OS. The seed of violence can be found in all our monotheistic religions if one cares to find justification for it. The current socioeconomic turmoil in the ME is such that the many are looking for a moral justification and finding in in scripture.

link   

So when these murderers call out " Allahu Akbar " whilst carrying out these heinous acts, how do you explain that ?

Inerested in hearing your opinion.

link   
Double post.

edit on 15-7-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

So when these murderers call out " Allahu Akbar " whilst carrying out these heinous acts, how do you explain that ?

Inerested in hearing your opinion.

Just part of their cult!

Its no different from me saying "May the Force Be with you" when i say good bye to a friend......

Or do you actually think saying "allahu akbar" makes you a Muslim..... does that mean me saying "Jesus Christ" when I get pissed off means i must be a Christian.

I honestly fail to see how this is relevant?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: network dude

So you believe these terrorists are Muslim in the same way your neighbour down the street is a Muslim because that is what the term "Islamic" terrorist implies?

Do you not think he might be a bit pissed off if you think that he is the same as the guy in France that kills 84 people just because he also prays 4 times a day?

If the guy down the street identifies as an extremist who wishes to kill for his religion, then he is the enemy I refer to.
And I don't give a rats ass how that makes him feel.

ETA: it seems you are the one lumping all Muslims in with the Islamic extremists. I was under the impression there is a difference?
edit on 15-7-2016 by network dude because: added thought

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I honestly fail to see how this is relevant?

" Allahu Akbar " is the cry commonly used in " Jihad "

Now do you see why it's relevant ?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
Political correctness aside, it is Islamic terrorism.

In Saudi Arabia, children textbooks describe how it is ok to kill non-Muslims.

The majority of Muslims believe Sharia law is alright.

Obfuscation will not work here. Sorry.

What study, poll, or evidence did you read/see that convinced you that the majority of Muslims believe Sharia law is alright?

None of the Muslims I know want it.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I notice quit a lot on this site that people like to make grandiose claims like this with out backing them up with any evidence.

link   
The phrase "x Extremists": If you're not an extremist then it shouldn't offend you.

If you're not technically an extremist per se, but get offended, well you might have the underpinnings that lead to extremism.

And maybe that's what's wrong with half the people today.

I prescribe any such uptight people to have to sit and do a 200 episode marathon of South Park: extremism cured!

link   
I thought that Daesh was their supposed nickname?
If that label would stick then everyone, Muslim or not, should know who we mean?

Might help.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I believe the liberals who coddle Muslims are just as dangerous to our liberty and way of life as the terrorists in that they become enablers.
One day we as a nation are going to have to decide which kind of life we want Sharia or the American..!

For me and mine... American.... to the death if need be, and all indications lead to that scenario. We are approaching a crossroads... steps need to be taken to Remove the Threat ie. The Muslim slow but sure invasion and war of attrition.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
President Obama is among the most stubborn, self-absorbed human beings to ever hold public office…
And that is a monumental achievement considering the narcissism required to simply run for president...

You see, he was utterly and completely wrong about Islamo fascism from the day he took office…
President Obama thought through his words he could alter the course of the world…
That is truly something only a narcissist could believe…

So as it has become increasingly evident that his foreign-policy has failed and has emboldened Islamic miltiants in every corner of this good earth, President Obama has become more and more entrenched in his bubble of narcissism...

President Obama's withdrawal of the United States from the world stage as a peacekeeper has led to a world of unfathomable instability…

And as Rome burns, President Obama sits atop a hill playing his violin refusing to even lift a bucket of water to throw on the Inferno that is the world…
The world is ablaze and it was he who lit the match...

But as a narcissist he is incapable of recognizing this fact…
He is incapable of accepting the fact that he is a fallible human being...
It is the ethos of the narcissist to NEVER accept responsibility because the narcissist truly believes no action taken by them is ever wrong..

Once you understand his psychology then it is easy to understand why Obama will never use the term "radical Islam" unless it is in reference to him not using the term "radical Islam"…the irony would be strikingly comical if not so sad..

When he does mention it you will always notice a sarcastic smirk or condescending laugh associated with the utterances...
Because accepting "radical Islam" exists means accepting that he was wrong...
It means his foreign policy strategies were utter failures and the narcissist is incapable of accepting they are EVER incorrect even when evidence to their failures is clear to every single human on earth..

-Christosterone
edit on 15-7-2016 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Another bogus concept is the idea of “shariah Law”

ALL religions have some version of their own “shariah Law”

Its not shariah law to murder people

Shariah law is things like how many times you pray a day

How to fast…how to give alms..etc.

There’s nothing in shariah law that tells people to blow up innocent people because of political disputes

Shariah law is opposed to all this terrorism

So it has nothing to do with any of this

It is only outward religious rules and there are all levels of dispute in Islam what is Shariah law.

The Catholic catechism is a Christian “shariah”

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Now I know that quite a lot of people on this site think that the use of the adjective “Islamic” is appropriate

Because it is.

Eco Terrorism.

Financial Terrorism.

Christian Terrorism.

Islamic TERRORISM.

Just a bloody adjective as to a particular kind.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I notice quit a lot on this site that people like to make grandiose claims like this with out backing them up with any evidence.

Well, a lot of times people just repeat what they've heard and what seems to align with their own personal beliefs. It's just how humans operate. *shrug*

top topics

<<   2 >>

join