It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon Vs Sleep Patterns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
When the moon becomes visible in the sky, right from crescent to full and beyond, some people get affected in their sleep patterns.
why should this be so? Is is something to do with ambient energies causing widening of consciousness, thus affecting the persons ability to sleep.
wonder if there is a biological reason for this. Any doctors on here to shed light in this phenomenon

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Before making the leap to some woo woo "energies" that 'widen consciousness', can you provide the studies that show that the moon effects sleep patterns, and I'm what ways?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Depends on your visible situation with the moon. At night our bodies produce melatonin due to absence of light, and during the day serotonin from light.

A full moon outside at night will produce more light than your body would be used to, therefore increasing serotonin levels.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Before making the leap to some woo woo "energies" that 'widen consciousness', can you provide the studies that show that the moon effects sleep patterns, and I'm what ways?
it happens to me. so my personal experience

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
if you notice how the moon cycles work with the sun, a full moon happens when the moon rises as the sun sets. What this means for those exposed to the elements is a rougher sleep as it is like someone has left the lights on.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
if you notice how the moon cycles work with the sun, a full moon happens when the moon rises as the sun sets. What this means for those exposed to the elements is a rougher sleep as it is like someone has left the lights on.
yes but the effect i am talking about is also present when the moon is obscured by overcast skies

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

it happens to me. so my personal experience

Most such claims about correlation of various things with the moon showed a lack of rigor in collecting, or analyzing any actual data. Please note the following citation and pay particular attention to the first source mentioned which may be applicable for someone noted for posting woo on ATS, and the second type of bias is also rampant with the OP's posts:

Correlation of human behavior with phase of moon

In 1985, a team of scientists did a meta study, looking at 37 separate research papers that attempted to study the Moon’s impact on all aspects of humanity. They found papers that demonstrated a correlation, and then promptly found the mistakes in the research. They found absolutely no evidence. We don’t get into more car accidents. Hospital rooms aren’t more crowded. Werewolves aren’t apparently a thing.

We do notice the coincidences, when something strange occurs and there happens to be a full Moon. But we don’t notice all the times when there wasn’t a full Moon. To learn more about this, I’d suggest heading over to the wonderful blog “You are not so smart” by David McRaney, and reading up on “Confirmation Bias”.

So while it's a myth that the phase of the moon is correlated with certain things, evidence does not support this idea and for the reasons mentioned anecdotes are completely unreliable (which is all we have in this case, an unreliable anecdote).

edit on 2016715 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Links? The moon is visible most nights, so this seems unlikely. they can't even prove the widely held theory that the full moon affects behavior.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The moon is out when the sun is also.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ArbitrageurLol, then i must be a werewolf for sure.
a british girl had said so much

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I've always believed moon cycles effect not only sleep but even have a strong influence on thoughts , behaviors etc ...

It's documented fact now that full moons really do make people act crazier for the most part . I read somewhere it has something to do with parasites, their life cycles and how they are the most active in their host during full moons ..

It would explain alot . The moon still contains a lot of mystery though .

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Depends on your visible situation with the moon. At night our bodies produce melatonin due to absence of light, and during the day serotonin from light.

A full moon outside at night will produce more light than your body would be used to, therefore increasing serotonin levels.

Well I've lived in Alaska my entire life...On Dec. 21st we have 5 hours and 27 min of daylight, and on June 21st we have 19 hours and 22 minutes of daylight. Very big swing back and forth over the year.

I wonder what that's done for my biological clock...lol.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
When the moon becomes visible in the sky, right from crescent to full and beyond, some people get affected in their sleep patterns.
why should this be so? Is is something to do with ambient energies causing widening of consciousness, thus affecting the persons ability to sleep.
wonder if there is a biological reason for this. Any doctors on here to shed light in this phenomenon

I don't know for sure whether it does or not, we're so used to incandescent light, and other forms of unnatural lighting now that insomnia is a big problem in regards to that.

I remember reading about a year ago, that before artificial lighting was created, peoples sleeping patterns were much different. People apparently would sleep only about 4 hrs before waking up, then went about their business as usual day or night, for about 5-6 hrs, before falling back to slumber. I would have to research it and find the info again, but that's what i read.

Interesting topic!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

they can't even prove the widely held theory that the full moon affects behavior.

Our British Police think there is a change in behaviour on full moons. They put on more patrols, quote below from Reuters..............

According to legend, full moons bring out werewolves but down in Brighton the peak of the lunar cycle seems more likely to attract violent yobs.

Police there say they are considering putting extra officers on duty when the moon is full after finding that those are the nights when troublemakers are most active.

"I compared a graph of full moons and a graph of last year's violent crimes and there is a trend," said Inspector Andy Parr, who oversees the policing of Brighton's pubs and clubs.

"People tend to be more aggressive generally."

Research published earlier this year by one academic, Michael Zimecki of the Polish Academy of Sciences, claimed to have found a link between lunar cycles and criminality, newspapers reported.

However, other studies have dismissed suggestions the moon affects people.

Parr said he would be interested in academics looking at the police's findings to see what conclusions could be drawn.

"We're not saying this is scientific," said a Brighton police spokesman. "Is it a coincidence or is there something more to it?"

"It's an old wives' tale, but perhaps there is something in it."

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Thankyou for reminding me, yes i've heard this too, more crime on Full Moons. There is definitely something to it.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

When I used to work in big firms with lots of workers (on my own now) there was defo an edge to things on full moons. Maybe it was just the effect on me on the perception, but looking back I don't think it was, there was also a bit more of everything sort of slowing down in an almost trippy state. Also sounds change on a full moon, people sound more bassy when they speak.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

That's exactly how it feels for me plus my cats go troppo during a full moon. Up all night, rambling throughout the house and "rasslin" with each other.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: maybee

That's exactly how it feels for me plus my cats go troppo during a full moon. Up all night, rambling throughout the house and "rasslin" with each other.
Lol those trouble makers

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
a reply to: awareness10

When I used to work in big firms with lots of workers (on my own now) there was defo an edge to things on full moons. Maybe it was just the effect on me on the perception, but looking back I don't think it was, there was also a bit more of everything sort of slowing down in an almost trippy state. Also sounds change on a full moon, people sound more bassy when they speak.

interesting.. I hadn't thought about people sounding more bassy though, i'd like to look into it, perhaps on the next full moon cycle i'll analyze that one, and see if there is an effect on people.

I found this bit of information on it windsorstar.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Yeah, I have heard that from other police, over here, and from emergency workers as well. Yet they claim no study can prove it, and even claim there is no difference in the crime rates. I trust the people on the ground, seeing it happen, personally. I know I can feel a difference from a full moon, over a crescent. Not anything that makes me angry, but something. We are 90% water, of course, and the moon affects tides, so maybe there is something to it. Not sure about sleep patterns, but some behavior, perhaps. I'd like to see more in depth studies, at any rate.

new topics

top topics

join