It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VR...... The world has changed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I am a long time gamer...... since the day Pong came out, I have played everything that was thrown my way.... but this I never expected.

April marked the beginning of a new world. Nothing going forward from this point will be as it was before. If you have yet to indulge in it, then I am sad for you. Words can not describe it, I can not explain to you how eagerly the brain accepts the new world you put it in and tells you that it is indeed reality. Video games are no longer games...... they are experiences. I now know what it is like to sail the universe. I know what it is like to fear my safety and have that "Fight or Flight" instinct kick in and have my heart rate increase. I have sat in an airplane on my way to D-day and watched the people around me die...and feel my heartbreak, yet being too scared for my own safety at that moment to do anything but try to stay alive.
The world we live in. as of April is no longer the same.... it's just at this point those who have yet to embrace it have some catching up to do.

I know the momentary confusion as I raise my headset and can see both the real world and the virtual world at the same time.... and kinda giggle as my brain tries to make sense of what is happening. Soon I will know what it is like to walk the planet Mars, NASA has taken the data it has gathered from all the rovers and all the satellites and combined them into a Virtual World... for us to explore.

And I know...... that as of April, there is no reason.... for your great great great great grandchildren not to know you, to talk to you.... to hear you tell them a family story..... to be nothing more to them than some tombstone in some graveyard.

For those of you gamers eagerly awaiting the Playstation VR....... you are only getting access to a very small pool of what is to come..... merely dipping your big toe into an ocean.

A new world was born in April. and I am part of it

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
PSVR is going to be a massive waste of peoples money. China already has a couple high end versions of pc vr that rival occulus, for 1/4 of the price. The only thing they lack right now is better tracking stuff like vive has, but that is only a matter of time. I say within the end of this year or the middle of 2017, VR is going to be everywhere, and affordable for almost everyone.

I can't wait for the first VR mmorpg to come out so i can lose myself in. Die happy irl while i play the hero in another universe

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

I personally feel it's going to remain a very niche product - at least for some time.

I own a DK2 - and did own a consumer Vive - but I actually sold the Vive as the software support just isn't there yet. That, and the resolution. As gamers move into 4k, until they crack that and the cables I don't think it's going to move into mass market appeal any time soon.

Don't get me wrong - it is cool - and the immersion is something else. As someone who really believed April was 'it' - and then receiving my Vive - the first 2 weeks of owning it were amazing. But then the hassle of it crept in - cables everywhere, lack of AAA titles - and I realised I had a £700 screen strapped to my face which currently does very little with a resolution akin to early playstation titles.

It'll get better - but April certainly wasn't the next chapter in gaming - just a hint of things to come, imho.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

it's just at this point those who have yet to embrace it have some catching up to do.

I'm happy to do all that catching up once I have my holodeck.

Until then, keyboard and mouse, and living in the past I guess.

I do appreciate the strides in which gaming has come, especially with VR, but it's just not "there" yet for me personally. Each to their own.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The only thing vr does really is removes the peripherals from the experience, this by its nature alientes gamers as VR is made for individual experience unless you play with others online, no more local co op in an easy convenient way which means large cash grabs. I think VR is just a gimmick many wont buy into for some time.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

I can't wait for the first VR mmorpg to come out so i can lose myself in. Die happy irl while i play the hero in another universe

im a gamer so im not judging. But i often wonder if people put the hours. dedication and commitment into their own lives that they do in MMO's, you would of excelled in real life rather than a fictional life.

you could be rich and sucessfull for all i know, but just in general in mean

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel

im a gamer so im not judging. But i often wonder if people put the hours. dedication and commitment into their own lives that they do in MMO's, you would of excelled in real life rather than a fictional life.

Thought about this myself. With the collective amount of time i spent in mmorpgs (around 17 years) i could have been an expert in multiple fields by now. Oh well

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I lead a raid guild in one of those games for 7 years and it was populated with successful people from all walks of life..

For many of us it was just a way to unwind after a hard or long day at work.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I consider well done games as great works of art. I wonder if famous artists instead of focused their dedications, commitments, and time into their real lives if we would have the same things today? Well made video games captivate people.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I won a Zeiss VR One. Its not the greatest, but still pretty neat. Last night I watched Hardcore Henry. A movie shot entirely in FPV. I felt some motion sickness by the end. But wow was it an experience!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I recently received an HTC Vive as a gift from AMD / Radeon. Like the OP I began my video gaming life with an Atari Pong in the mid seventies. Since then I've owned many, many consoles and gaming PC's. That's about 40 solid years of dedicated video game playing...

And honestly, in my humble opinion, VR is a quantum leap forward. The immersion and experience is truly indescribable. Even with the fact that the tech is new and most of the graphics are honestly cartoonish and nowhere near realistic - once you enter that world it truly does feel real in a way - even if obviously cartoonish. It's really mind blowing.

What really gets me excited is that this is cutting edge consumer tech and it will only get better and less expensive - probably in short order. Once major publishers start pumping out high quality, well financed experiences or games and once the manufacturing process is standardized, reducing costs...

Well this stuff is going to be as paradigm shifting as that first home console, Pong was forty years ago.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

VR is geared towards adults with limited content to accommodate this, I have played on the vive and I thought it was neat like I thought the wii was neat when it first came out. I enjoy most being able to play with my buds watching me or playing with me, so perhaps it is a preference but I still strongly advise against it until more content that supports the want for this.

People are always being roped into the next evolution in gaming, nintendo said it was so with the wii motion controls, sony said the same, and so did microsoft. VR is no different. My neighbor has the HTC Vive and his only regret is that his daughter (shes 3) keeps knocking down the sensor towers and he cant just hard mount them because he rents and cant drill holes in walls to play games. I did not like being disconnected from the people I was around while doing a flight sim, come to think of it lots of new game tech always comes in the form of flight sims, yeah I am looking at you super nintendo.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Does anyone have a similar VR headset as I do? The Zeiss VR One? (smart phone tray style) If so, what are some good games/apps to use with it.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82
I have a gear VR as well. My favorite game of all is only available on Gear..... Called
Lands End. After you get the hang of it... you kinda believe that you can move things with your mind. And the scenery is awesome. I like just looking around from different vantage points.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I urge you to check out the exclusive Oculus Rift game Lucky's Tale. I was the illustrator for the in game art and it is a ground-breaking VR platform game. Incredible doesn't come close to describing it.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AbesOldHat7
Check out....... I already beat it 3x.... and still pop it on once in a while to marvel at it.
My hat off to you and I do hope you will keep me up to date on any new projects

Lucky's Tale is remarkable in every way a game can be. You and the folks you work with should be very proud. To put a game out of that quality on the very first day of product launch....is a feat that not many people can take credit for being a part of.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AbesOldHat

You should make a thread with some of the art behind making a game, I would be really into seeing that.

posted on Jul, 18 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
at least you had fun

posted on Jul, 21 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Oh ya dude. VR is pretty legit by what I seen, and I have never even tried it, but as a videogame platform it has plenty of potential thats for sure and plenty of potential in other applications as well. In all reality i probably would not be playing much VR games, but that is only because I am tired of and cant really get into videogames anymore no matter what they are, VR for me would likely not be any different.

However I do realize the potential the technology has, and as more games are made for them, its just bound to get better. I got to try it one of these days, I dont think it will blow me away in terms of experience, but you know it does look and its immersion potential is much higher then regular videogames and or even movies would have on a person.

Here a short list of some games coming for the new VR systems, got to say EVE Valkyrie and especially the mech game Rigs looks really fun, to try out in a more VR immersive environment then on a regular controller and screen would ever be.

posted on Jul, 26 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I am so happy that you sing such praises for the end result. Everyone worked their butts off and put blood sweat and tears into making this game a pioneer to the genre.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join