It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man's letter to his friend during WW2 complaining about being a lawyer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is pure gold so I had to share.

I know it's Reddit I apologize but I don't have another source.

Reddit

Quote "As for myself, I have been very busy the last week or two. Although the course of work in this hard boiled, slave driving, under paid profession etc. etc."

Well, little boy, you may be a shining light in the tiny legal world you exist in, but the insinuation you made in your letter showed me that you don't know what life today is all about. You are living in a sphere that is bound up with things cut and dried, things which are dealt with as cases and not realities. And yet you have the impudent gall to sit back and complain about your own way of life.

You who have always had a good home, fine parents, and sufficient funds. You attended a private school, a college, and a law school in spite of the times. You got a job in an old firm and you have your place in life. In other words, you have had everything handed to you on a silver platter and yet you still complain.

You also speak of being busy -- well that is a joke. It seems to me that I have heard of some others who are busy today. Have you heard of the B-29 boys over Japan? Or the carrier task force? Or the boys who took back the Philippines? Or the 19,000 boys who had a busy time on Okinawa? Or the guys on Saipan, Guam, New Guinea, or Guadalcanal. Or course the Aussies are not busy on Borneo -- of course not! No these guys and millions of others are merely sitting around finely furnished offices and telling others they "have been very busy."

As for being "hard boiled" there is no such thing in the service. All those with whom we associate treat us like their own children. Things are always calm and serene. The cases one finds are never crude or tough. The stinking corpses of American boys (boys whom life never gave a chance) are nice things to observe. No, life in this business is not hard boiled. If it isn't then neither is a sniper's bullet thru the forehead.

The hilarity and truth of this.

If this letter does nothing else I hope that it makes you ashamed of yourself right down to the marrow of your bones.

Ahhh man. It must have been such better time to live in where people actually told each other the truth instead of this passive aggressive narcissist culture that I have been trying to desperately to ignore.

Anyway, interesting glimpse into a soldiers mind from WW2.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Reddit is awesome. Why would you apologize?

join