It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One striking chart shows why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Very true, your post.

Their pills are also failing due to being presented as a treatment for a condition instead of curing the condition(if it can be).

That is a very important statement. It seems to be common for pills to be easily prescribed for a symptom rather than treating the underlying condition or cause. I think many of these conditions aren't even real to begin with, or aren't as serious as made out to be (remember Restless leg Syndrome, aka Jimmy Legs?), they're just an excuse to push more prescription meds on more people and make more money for the pharma companies.

One drug that treats a variety of conditions, or one drug for ever conceivable condition? Which makes the most money?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: RetsuUnohana
I know people have said they should re-engineer MJ to take the fun out of it and then patent/sell it. I dont believe they will, at least for another 20 years or until becomes 100% legal in the US. If they do this now, it will push the other states to legalize it more rapidly. People will point to Big Pharma and say "told you".

I've always believed that there are drugs being suppressed in effectiveness designed to be taken in dosages over several months, rather than days in order to increase profits.

They will re-engineer it so it has no anti-parasitic properties.......they dont care about the psyco-reactive qualities.........the parasite truths as told by Dr. Hulda Clark show us we dont need 80% of pharmas products.

MJ is one of MANY anti-parasitics.However because it also relaxes or invigorates you it is "attractive" to you for non-anti-parasitic reasons.....we are hardwired to be LED TO A NATURAL ANTI-PARASITIC.....and we have specific receptors for only this natural material.

The indigenous natives in NA used a Sweat Lodge to cure diseases because the internal temp brought up the sick persons internal temp high enough to kill the live stages of all parasites and also to cook the eggs in your stomach lining.

People use the milk of a specific Camel to cure diseases.....because the Camels diet is predominately made up of local anti-parasitic foods this is passed through its milk and will help people police local types of parasites making them sick....the Camels milk might not help if you are eating food flown in from another geographical area though because every regional parasite locality has growing somewhere a natural anti-parasitic plant.....your metropolitan diet will be infecting you with non-local parasites the Camels milk might not control.

Alcohol taken in moderation daily is an excellent anti-parasitic.....booze companies had hidden knowledge of this dynamic and used the extremely potent anti-parasitics "attractant" properties to fiscalise alcohol.....just as MJ has psyco-reactive propeties which "lead us to it"......so does alcohol.......lol.....this is why when autopsies are done on lifetime drinkers frequently ONLY SPECIFIC ORGANS like the liver are destroyed while ALL OTHERS ARE IN EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD SHAPE.Why did you think the Romans provided booze to their SOLDIERS.....lol....because they travelled abroad globally and ate foods from many areas carrying new to them parasites and needed to remain healthy so they used the most impactfull distilled anti-parasitic know to man.....booze.This is why your brain doesnt stop you from getting drunk even though your internal organs are SCREAMING FOR YOU TO SLOW DOWN OR STOP INGESTING.....LMAO....the alcohol sends a PRIMARY message which OVERRIDES all other messages.....this PRIMARY message says.....AWSOME THIS IS THE BEST THING ON THE PLANET FOR MY BODY......and the brain OVERRIDES ALL OTHER MESSAGES as soon as it recognises the anti-parasitic hitting it.This is why people drink till they get drunk and possibly hurt or kill themselves....their brain is MASKING THE DAMAGE CONTROL REPORTS BEING SENT TO IT......every single shot of booze sends a PRIMARY MESSAGE which OVERRIDES EVERY OTHER MESSAGE BEING SENT TO YOUR BRAINS CONTROL CENTER BY YOUR ORGANS.I would like to thank WCB Canada for using their SOP disenfranchisement methods to wrongfully deny me rightfull compensations thus providing me with boundless volumes of both poverty and time.....the 2 most critical components of constant learning and constant sharing.WCB Canada which is IMHO a fiat money laundering arm of the Global Powers That Be ....sent me to Screw-U University and here I am now rewarding them with my now well developed acumen.Jeepers I love laying down that explanation of how they use MJs and alcohols anti-parasitic properties against us all because eventually that one will cost them dearly fiscally.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: whatsup86
If you read threads on pot here youd think its a magical innocent fun medicine thats healthy, makes you think, and works the same for everyone. Well in my experience its a drug and rightly so. I still want it legalized ofcourse because crminalization of drugs has never been shown to be the answer but the promotion thats going on at ATS is insane.

Promotion? No promotion, just common sense and safety.

We have a very serious problem in the US with addition to pills (mostly narcotics). People are prescribed pills left and right, people become physically dependent on them to detrimental effect: from overdoses, to disruption on lifestyle, to losing family and possessions because of addiction, and crime targeting the acquisition of pills.

While marijuana is not a "magic" drug (well, depending on who you talk to), it is far less dangerous than narcotics and has a variety of conditions it's able to treat, all while being NATURAL and without the complications of the myriad of narcotic-based prescription drugs (and even non-narcotic based prescription drugs with detrimental side effects. When we have only had, for such a long time, narcotic-based drugs that make people dependent, or other drugs with very serious side effects that are both pushed and condoned by Doctors and the pharmaceutical industry (because of profit) even though they're highly addictive and harmful, we need something safer, more natural, more accepted, and more versatile without the physical dependence of narcotics or the side effects of other prescriptions.

Now, we have kids seeking out strains of fake pot to get high, and they end up in the hospital or dead because it's so dangerous and SYNTHETIC, or kids seeking out heroin to deal with their narcotic (pill) addiction because, once addicted to pills, they are harder to get than heroin (in a lot of areas).

Society is #d when people have easier access to dangerous chemicals and synthetic drugs (including synthetic pot) than they do safe, natural drugs that have been around and used for thousands of years.

It defies common sense.

You most certainly do have a problem with prescription drugs, one most western countries dont have and theyre not prescribing marijuhana instead, so although I dont care what people use as painkiller that is a strange fact: a good example of capitalism gone wrong i think.

But I think you didnt notice i was talking about threads and especially replies on ATS in general. People post replies that make Marijuhana seem like a drug that cant do no harm instead of a drug and medicine that has as much risk in use as many other drugs. And should be discussed as such with room for critical opinions.

John made a good point for example but is made fun off just because hes critical. Many get dense or couch potatos from the stuff and the fact you didnt have that experience doesnt mean it doesnt bare a lot of risk for others who will have diffetent highs.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: whatsup86

But I think you didnt notice i was talking about threads and especially replies on ATS in general.

I did notice. And since this thread isn't one of these on its face, why did you bring that comment into this thread.

There will always be someone coming in and obviously promoting it (which has happened in this thread, too).

Many get dense or couch potatos from the stuff

Some do, some don't. So what.

most certainly do have a problem with prescription drugs

Glad you recognize that. Unlike pills, people aren't ODing or becoming physically dependent to the point that it destroys their lives. Their lives might be harmed or inconvenienced because of the legal aspect, but medically, no.

Pills are about profit (oftentimes at the detriment of the individual), and that's the biggest problem with pharma and why pharma fights it.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have used MJ(A LOT)and been around MANY, MANY potsmokers, and to be honest... WHY isn't it legal?
I mean if you want government mind control, THIS IS IT!
A person on MJ needs: weed, a toilet, access to water, munchies, electronic device to stare at until they are dead.
THAT'S IT! Maybe a park for the 20% who will actually go explore when they are high.
And weed vaporizers even make it safer, or ingesting MJ with food.
Most people will become useless mindless sheep, there are a few 1%s, maybe even 20% who will thrive, but that can be said about anything.
MOST people will become zombies, and we need that to keep starbucks running, and all the cooking and cleaning and things nobody else wants to do.
I think MJ has a bad wrap, but I can't see outside of special interest funding, why the government hasn't legalized it.
I believe they are waiting for Monsanto to catch up, create their own strain and then they will say ONLY MONSANTO MJ is legal.
Paired with TV(and I mean all media: tablets, phones, PCs any box to stare at to forget you are a real person) the other mind controller, the Government has the 1, 2 punch on near total societal control. And the rest of the ones they miss are conforming because... well they like being rich, and having their goods and services provided by mindless zombies.

If you do not see this you are not part of the bottom, the people I know, the hopeless with more debt than they'll ever get out of, and no real chance to ever be anybody, you know, the 60% of the population that would welcome this takeover with open arms...

The greatest anti-drug ad I ever saw said "when you smoke pot... NOTHING happens" never has there been a more truer statement.

TV and weed, all the benefits of alcohol, hardly any of the side effects...

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

a reply to: whatsup86

But I think you didnt notice i was talking about threads and especially replies on ATS in general.

I did notice. And since this thread isn't one of these on its face, why did you bring that comment into this thread.

There will always be someone coming in and obviously promoting it (which has happened in this thread, too).

Many get dense or couch potatos from the stuff

Some do, some don't. So what.

most certainly do have a problem with prescription drugs

Glad you recognize that. Unlike pills, people aren't ODing or becoming physically dependent to the point that it destroys their lives. Their lives might be harmed or inconvenienced because of the legal aspect, but medically, no.

Pills are about profit (oftentimes at the detriment of the individual), and that's the biggest problem with pharma and why pharma fights it.

Like you said people are promoting in this thread and i feel a critical sound is needed in about every thread on pot where people go off topic to let everyone know how many times pot is better than alcohol.

Some do some dont which was exactly my point. Many pro-marijuhana ATSers, which im one of by the way, act like its harmless.

Anyway I think this is a good example where government rules should be in place to protect the people from corporations and capitalism got out of hand. And other than that this thread doesnt contain much news i feel like discussing. I agree with everything else basically.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
In states with medical marijuana painkiller deaths drop by 25%
These are the kind of numbers Big Pharma is worried about.
edit on 14-7-2016 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

We have a bad pill problem because that is kind of the go to for doctors and psychiatrists, partially because that is how they are trained and partially because of a lack of other options.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Ignorance is rampant when it comes to pharmaceuticals. They are a good thing, they save lives and help people with mental illness everyday. I would love to see all these "anti pill" people, who blanketedly think any pill is bad, next time you get sick refuse medication/treatment. Pills are only bad until you or someone you love needs them. Than hop aboard the western medicine train, because theyit actually works.

edit: this is not to say you are wrong about marijuana, it should be legal. Prohibition is silly, plain and simple.
edit on 14-7-2016 by dr1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What do you expect? The nation of the free and the brave has allowed big-govt. to dictate our freedoms, and non-freedoms for too long. American's lost the true meaning of freedom. And, those who demand strict adherence to laws that hinder freedom, for our own security and safety, has done so in a means to expand the profits of Wall St. This is one example from a long list of examples.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

They are a good thing, they save lives and help people with mental illness everyday. I would love to see all these "anti pill" people, who blanketedly think any pill is bad
But yet you just blanketed that they're all good. ?

Yes, there are prescription medication/pills that are overwhelmingly beneficial. I know people who depend on some prescription medication. However, there are also pills that are overwhelmingly over-prescribed, such as some narcotics and other psychotropics that are highly addictive and/or have adverse effects, pills that are pushed by doctors when they likely shouldn't be (Astrazeneca Fraud), as well as pills that are so new on the market that the long-term negative effects haven't been properly studied, or the side effects can be life threatening (Vioxx Side Effects). See also: Abilify.

You know, stuff like that.

My point is this: the problem, it seems, is our culture is so reliant on "take a pill to fix this" (which oftentimes ignores potentially serious side effects), while certain drugs (namely marijuana) are criminalized, which negatively affects people's lives only because of criminalization.

Additional information:

Drugwatch: Litigation against pharma for dangerous medication
Wiki: List of largest pharmaceutical settlements (Top 20)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
In states with medical marijuana painkiller deaths drop by 25%
These are the kind of numbers Big Pharma is worried about.

Thanks for that, that's very helpful.

Abstract from the study, JAMA Internal Medicine:

Results Three states . . . had medical cannabis laws effective prior to 1999. Ten states . . . enacted medical cannabis laws between 1999 and 2010. States with medical cannabis laws had a 24.8% lower mean annual opioid overdose mortality rate (95% CI, −37.5% to −9.5%; P = .003) compared with states without medical cannabis laws. Examination of the association between medical cannabis laws and opioid analgesic overdose mortality in each year after implementation of the law showed that such laws were associated with a lower rate of overdose mortality that generally strengthened over time:

Conclusions and Relevance Medical cannabis laws are associated with significantly lower state-level opioid overdose mortality rates. Further investigation is required to determine how medical cannabis laws may interact with policies aimed at preventing opioid analgesic overdose.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter The only reason pot is still demonized (in many states) is that they have yet to find a way to profit from it. Since the dawn of time it has been a natural solvent to many health problems as well as a non-addictive, side affect free, way for people to " just get high" Of course Big Pharma, with their unending new products for conditions we haven't even heard of yet, is going to object because people have the means to grow pot in their own back yard, affording them no revenue. Pot will elevate your pain or discomfort for a few hours with no fact-based side effects, but they are more concerned with pushing their over active bladder medication that may cause high blood pressure, insomnia, diarrhea, dizziness, weight gain, suicidal thoughts or actions, stroke, or in some rare cases, death.

Ask your doctor if Marijuana is right for you.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Cannabis is one of the most medicinal relevant plants there is, and it has sooooo much more potential when their is true large scale scientific and biologic research. Theiris 111 KNOWN cannabinoids and certainly more to be discovered. And from the ones that are confirmed hardly has been properly studied. And out of the main cannabinoids that are know I.e. THC/THC-A, CBD, and CBG their is awesome findings on an epic level.

But Big pharma will 100% dominate the medical cannabis market when and if it becomes legal or decriminalize federally, that's for sure. But you will still have your smaller guys producing awesome grade A medicine from long held genetics and select phenotypes. As opposed to big pharma or Modesto who will for sure produce a product that favors overall yield rather then focusing on a quality product.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
at the bottom of the chart..glaucoma..35 more.
doesnt make sense to me, why more?

One interesting wrinkle in the data is glaucoma, for which there was a small increase in demand for traditional drugs in medical-marijuana states. It's routinely listed as an approved condition under medical-marijuana laws, and studies have shown that marijuana provides some degree of temporary relief for its symptoms.

The Bradfords hypothesize that the short duration of the glaucoma relief provided by marijuana — roughly an hour or so — may actually stimulate more demand in traditional glaucoma medications. Glaucoma patients may experience some short-term relief from marijuana, which may prompt them to seek other, robust treatment options from their doctors.

Actually it's probably because it was a Medicare D survey...

Otherwise the numbers would be much higher in the right hand column, all around.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I've been planning for a long time to move to the west coast or Colorado, mainly to see if MJ can relieve me of my chronic pain/fibromyalgia. Currently, i'm going to try to petition for cannabis oil. My stepdad is hooked on fentanyl and my sister's baby daddy just got out of rehab for his own opium problems.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Those statistics are correct. The only thing that completely scares me about "legalization" is the potential for corporate monopolies by all of our favorite multinational corporations.... They will most likely get special tax breaks through lobbying, and through lobbying they might just run the small people out of business (like Walmart did to mom and pop stores).

I also predict that the mom and pop stores will not run out of business this time, as long as people realize that the multinational corporations want to GMO the heck out of the plant. Hopefully people will mostly support growers who will not use the modified seeds.

Big pharma has not cured any diseases besides polio, and pneumonia. I expect that they never will, if it is left up to their own devices. They want the money to keep flowing. It's a sad thing, really...

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

I hope you find your way to a more medical cannabis tolerate place to live. I'm a state registered Medical cannabis caregiver, and one of my patients for 4 yrs has fiber myalgia and I have a specific phenotype of a particular strain (gorilla glue #4) and its like night and day for him in terms of pain management. So there is hope for you and certain strains thatwill most definitely help, 100%.
I really hope you find what you need sir, and be well,

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Matt11
InFriNiTee

I agree with you, for the most part.

While I'm certain that, if nationally legal (medicinal or otherwise, but probably especially medicinally), corporations will definitely try to monopolize it.

There is one big difference, though: pills require a manufacture to specifics, but pot can simply be grown by pretty much anyone. Because of this, I don't think mom and pop, or smaller businesses that grow and supply, would go out of business, either. Of course new strains will be developed, which open the door to further genetic modification. If a corporation can develop a certain strain, they can patent it, especially if it's gear to a specific condition. In addition, we have, for instance, Monsanto, that tries to claim as their own crops/seed that have cross-pollinated (contaminated).

It always about money, hence the huge profits pharma companies make, and they will definitely set their sights on marijuana. And like you said, the lobby will be HUGE, since they have so much money.

I have hope that it won't become completely monopolized, though...
edit on 17-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

originally posted by: autopat51
at the bottom of the chart..glaucoma..35 more.
doesnt make sense to me, why more?

One interesting wrinkle in the data is glaucoma, for which there was a small increase in demand for traditional drugs in medical-marijuana states. It's routinely listed as an approved condition under medical-marijuana laws, and studies have shown that marijuana provides some degree of temporary relief for its symptoms.

The Bradfords hypothesize that the short duration of the glaucoma relief provided by marijuana — roughly an hour or so — may actually stimulate more demand in traditional glaucoma medications. Glaucoma patients may experience some short-term relief from marijuana, which may prompt them to seek other, robust treatment options from their doctors.

Actually it's probably because it was a Medicare D survey...

Otherwise the numbers would be much higher in the right hand column, all around.

I suspect they would also be—and actually are higher—once the data is in.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join