It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last Radio Quiet Zone left?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Can you imagine stepping foot on land that has never had cell phone coverage, Wi-Fi, or any kind of microwave was banned. Think it’s not possible? Think again, it is the last Radio Quiet Zone. It is called Greenbank, WV and to live here you have to sign a contract agreeing not to have any of the above mentioned objects. Why? So that nothing interferes with a sophisticated radio telescope at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. The Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope is the world's largest fully steerable radio telescope.

But in creating this area for the telescope they have managed to create a safe haven for some. It is the last place on earth that has electromagnetic field silence. People who have are electro sensitive are moving here to find peace. In the attached video are a couple of the people that have found peace moving into an area where they are not hounded by the electromagnetic waves.

Here is an article that goes into a few of the people that have found peace in West Virginia.
Refugees of the Modern World

This is an 8 minute video that shows a quick history and a few people that have found peace in West Virginia.

Another good article about Greenbank, WV and the Radio Quiet Zone
Enter the Quiet Zone

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
I heard about this place some time ago. I was actually thinking of doing a thread on it but kept putting it off.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I heard about this place some time ago. I was actually thinking of doing a thread on it but kept putting it off.

Seems a bit strange I must say ...not you doing a thread on it...but ...the whole ball of wax

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

It is the last place on earth that has electromagnetic field silence. People who have are electro sensitive are moving here to find peace.

I'm not exactly sensitive to the extent I've read other people suffer from, but I am a bit, and I can only imagine how amazing it must be to live in such a place without feeling the headaches and extra stress on the body.

Sad that it's the last such place, though I imagine living out in the 'middle of no where' would have near the same effect.

ETA:
I was certain that we had a radio quiet zone here in Australia too, but, my google-fu is failing me for the time being. Grr.

ETA2:
There we go!
The Murchison Radio-Astronomy Observatory (MRO)
But, I don't think there is a dwelling zone within it's boundaries, haha. Ah well. (Bugger living there anyway, 50C days! I don't think so.)

edit on 12 7 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci
There are MANY places in West Virginia where you will lose cell phone coverage but that is the only place that has all the other restrictions. Due to the mountains it just isn't possible yet to get a signal strong enough without using cell phone boosters. My dad has one of these he takes onto the job because he doesn't have signal there. I lost signal if I drive about 5 miles down the road but I will get it back 15 miles later when I come out of the holler. LOL

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I doubt is the last place on earth with radio silence, first there is no such thing as we get bombarded with radio from outer space, and second because other radio telescopes like fast in china has similar exclusion regions.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Perhaps, but are there dwelling areas within the boundaries of the other telescopes?
I'm under the impression that this place in West Virginia may be the last habitable area in such 'quiet'.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here ?

But... "the last radio free quiet zone left" ??

Or maybe you meant to say the last radio free quiet zone left in the US (which would make sense because of how highly populated the US is) ?

Half of Canada is radio/cell phone/wi-fi/power-line free...

Other than that, yes it is rather weird to have a radio/cell phone/wi-fi free zone smack dab in the middle of the US.

Sooper seekrit black ops alien stuff happening there no doubt.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Remember that it seems for most Americans America is the entire world

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
a reply to: kaelci
Yes Kaelci, I think you are right. But I can’t find anything that says that. However, on the few I see there is not land open to the public in the way of a town at least that I can find in my quick research…but I will continue to look.

This is also a MANDATED quiet zone. Not just no humans so no towers

edit on 7/12/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Maybe tin-foil hatters can finally get a break from all those pesky beams!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have pics!
I'll post them tonight! Cool place was there a few months back for hubby work.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
Oh yes please do Zazz!! I would LOVE to see them.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Is there any place you haven't been? I was watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain in Tangier the other night and I though "I bet Zazz has been there". Have you?

OT: Looking forward to picts. I bet they don't have birds falling out of the sky either.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Nice thread. I think I saw a show about this once. I could not live there! Lol

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I think they are using it to talk to the men on Mars and the moon!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krypto1
I got distracted by something else. There always seems like there's something else to do.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Mmmm. I hear that folks are beginning to break their contracts because at the end of the day they still like the modern convenience of signals. Routers going up, smart phones with signals enabled, ect. Some postulate that it may at some point stop being a signal free zone. Personally I prefer it to be signal-free, but we know how life goes.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MaddenedRambler
Yes people are starting to break the contracts. In the above video he actually talk a little bit about it. He states that he has about 40 rogue modems running there right now.

I don't think I could do without BUT if you agree to the terms I think it should be upheld.

top topics

join