It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contest Stuff - Writers Required

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
earlier in the year someone suggested a contest in which we write stories in the 'style' of another / famous author. (I would love to write a Hunter Thompson-type piece!). that would interest me.

ps; I need writer status also
edit on 12-7-2016 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero
Hunter is the best. I met him in Aspen before he died. He was a real person who was somthing else! A great writer!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would be a good one!
edit on 7 12 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
How about ......

Two writers writing from their known standpoint ....

All started with a small piece like this. (it is from one of my books.)

Captain Piccard dealing with the arrival, in one of his cargo bays, of a blue British police box (from Doctor Who). Four people got out and Riker says, ‘Squishy!’ and Piccard says, ‘Yes number one, very cozy

I think two writers gets a better collaboration and you can have one person writing from the perspective of the Doctor and his party and the other writing from the perspective of the Enterprise crew.

Any two movies, books or TV series would do.

I am NOT thinking along the lines of Predator Vs the Hulk or any other similar crap.

Just my thoughts.

P

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Good one, I like your thoughts!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I'd be game for a collaboration.

One of the other ones that interests me is writing in the prose of another - As some of you probably guessed by now, several of my stories are influenced by Lovecraft's particular flavor of science fiction; I've done other authors in previous works.

Another one that might be interesting is to do a story based around something intangible. For example, the 4 pictures contest was pretty fun. I'd love to do one that is music based (where you have to listen to 3-4 tracks, and make a story around those), or even something as far as writing a song about the topic.

I'm also game for on-the-fly style writings: Get a random plot or summary, and go from there.

-foss

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

music based (where you have to listen to 3-4 tracks, and make a story around those),

I can second that. That's how I did my last short story. Music video can also spark an idea.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Music video can also spark an idea.

Or an absolute flood of ideas!

P

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
All of these ideas sound fantastic. When it comes to ATS writing contests, the more the merrier.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I am going to join this thread. I have not written anything of any significance in years. Maybe it is time to start writing again. I actually do miss it, but rarely ever have the time these days. But, it is Summer, and I am unsupervised this summer. Why not, maybe?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
All these comments are excellent guys thank you. It's giving me a lot to work with.

Let's keep the conversation going and we'll tally the ideas over the next week.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Or an absolute flood of ideas!

Yep! Got an idea!

The crazy thing is, I don't think I'd ever watched the whole video straight through before. Just a section here, a segment there.
I remember:

"Special feature: coming up...Thriller, in it's entirety",
and then changing channels because I thought that I'd seen it all.
edit on 13-7-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Several years ago Asala started a thread in BTS giving us 12 random words to build a poem around. It was only a bit of fun but it was surprising how those words could inspire a person to write.

After a few days the number of stars each poem garnered were added up and new words were provided - plus the winner got an applause.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in doing another thread like it? No need for applauses really, so a non-mod could take the responsibility.

Also, in BTS it would probably attract more attention than it would get here and we might encourage more members to have a go at writing.

Here's a link to the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

That's an excellent exercise for writing. To gain skill in different vernaculars or flavors -- writing English can read back as "American" or "Australian" or "British" or "Irish" or "Indian".. so syntax and vocabulary make a huge difference there.

I always wanted to write like Dickens or Caldwell - all that wordy, verbose description (now disdained as "purple prose"), the delicious choices of synonyms, phrasing that makes you laugh out loud....

trying it was enormously good for me as a writer. Big stretch. I just wish I could write humor.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

You know I'm in!!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Just an off-topic thought, but I actually have a 180,000 word novel completed. I have sent it out a couple of times, but I was thinking of fielding it online and getting feedback and suggestions. If anyone is interested, that'd be great!!

My physical "readers" failed me.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Buzz, if you want, you can send me a PM and I can probably get Springer and SO to approve you posting an Ebook version or a PDF of sorts if you'd like to share to it.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Wow, thanks!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Would you be prepared to host the new thread, work out the winners and provide the words?

Perhaps have a word with Tenth to get the OK since Asala hasn't been around for a while?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

An essay writing composition about the ideal that is most important to you and why?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join