It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear SJW's, what are your ACTUAL goals now that everyone has equal rights?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I genuinely want to know, and am seriously trying to give you all a "fair shake" chance to make this make sense.

So what is it you're trying to accomplish, your goals, what do you want, what is the point of all the grandstanding and such? Also, what is driving your ambitions with all of this?

I'm a libertarian, and kind of new to the whole big PC/SJW issue, but I've been reading and participating in a lot of threads the past month, been watching lots of different videos. I was away in a "time capsule" the past few years when all this became mainstream, so this all hit me at once recently and it was shocking to me.

What I've gathered so far is the basic foundationss of it derive from "Critical Race Theory" and its gender & sexuality based extension called the "Progessive Stack". When I look at these, when taken in by the masses and then taken to extremes, I can only see a divisive recipe for disaster. And so far what I've been observing are mass divisional rifts going into effect between basically every social group vs. straight white males (SWM), and cops I guess. With it I'm seeing the trampling of freedoms of speech & expression to over-blown extremes (based on over-sensitivity, I guess). With CRT/PS, my impression is that people over-dwelling in those models, well those models to me seem to encourage over-sensitivity + divisiveness.

So all I'm really seeing is total chaos breaking loose from said grandstanding, and lots of hate & reverse-hate, bigotry & reverse bigotry, etc, being thrown around from every direction, while nobody can even take a joke while being over-defensive about basically everything to such degrees its confusing now what can even be fun anymore. Lots of hate, where everything is now over analyzed in pursuit of finding offense in even the clouds basically, meaning what a drag the world is becoming.

Therefore, to me, if the premise questions can't be answered insightfully, and reasonably, I just can't much see the point of all the grandstanding other than it being all about causing social rifts and chaos. I just cant see where any good can come from all of this, but in this thread I intend to actually listen to how you think some can. I honestly haven't given you all much of a chance so far, but here and now I'm trying to.

I'm deeply troubled by all this, especially since I don't see much of a allowance for how everyone can find common ground, any route of compromise everyone can take. But if I knew what is actually driving your ambitions, and what your goals are, then maybe I can think of some possible solutions. So far I haven't been given any tools to be able to do so.

So please, if there's something I'm missing here, please help me understand. I'm sincerely trying to be reasonable and give you a chance here.

PS: If you will: Are equal rights good enough?

Please, anti-SJW's, lets try to give them a chance to explain this without trashing them.
edit on 11-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The funny thing about "equal rights" is that they look, sound, and feel good on paper.

It takes actual human beings with prejudices, opinions and perspectives to make sure they're honored.

Just because a black man is supposed to have the same opportunity when applying for a job, it doesn't mean that the interview panel won't collude to score him lower because the boss has pressured them to.

Just because women are supposed to be paid the same, we see lots of instances where they aren't.

Rights are ethereal, noble ideals that we humans are tasked with applying, adhering, and respecting. Just because you have the "right" doesn't mean that right will be honored or respected. We see a lot of people who support the 2nd amendment claim their "rights" are being infringed any time gun control is brought up.

In an "ideal world" where people aren't attention-seeking victims, a real hones-to-god SJW would be about making sure that the same guidelines and application of rights was even across the entire population, regardless of gender or ethnicity. It's not about special rights, extended rights -- but making sure that biases and prejudices don't come into play when upholding and respecting the rights of others.

Most of that seems to be lost on the youth of today who claim to be "SJW" (which they really don't, as it's a pejorative to them).

It's really become nothing but attention-seeking, validation-self-therapy for these people. Hell, half the time one SJW can't even get along with another, they fight among themselves just as much as with others. If you've never witnessed two SJW's try to "out victim" the other, you've truly missed out!

They're a fluid group, coming together for brief periods and very quickly turning inward on themselves and imploding as one in the group becomes less of a SJW than others, and a target. They eat their own alive as much as they attack others.

Just remember that...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I've been called an SJW before, although I don't label myself others might.

But, to be frank, I just want everyone to be free to do what they want, marry who they want and be safe, happy and healthy. That's all I want. Anyone that still insists on victimizing others for personal gain can piss off and should be reprimanded accordingly.

Does that make me an 'SJW'?

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I hate to use the term "social justice warrior" because of its pejorative connotations, but one thing is for certain, these activists know nothing about justice.
edit on 11-7-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: spelling

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Honestly, probably the biggest reason I use it is it lubricates sentence structure / communication. "Everyone" knows what it means, while I dont know a better acronym that could prove such a utility purpose while being readily recognizable. Like PC kind of has the same meaning but it doesn't denote an actual social group, where it doesn't seem like a proper ideology either. I always viewed PC as a sort of set of guidelines rather than an actual philosophy.

Some do embrace it, here in ATS.

I think people being too uptight about stuff is a major core of 'the problem' anyways. If they could lighten up maybe it wouldn't be so bad, they wouldn't look so bad, and not piss so many people off. So maybe they should embrace it. The blacks have been doing something like it forever now, with the darkest word in the American language. Me, I hear "honky" or "cracka" and its kind of funny actually (unless its along the lines of "kill whitey"). I'm an agnostic, and so are the South Park creators, and all the pissed off religous people they ripped on, most probably aren't aware they made an agnosticism episode, one of my favorites.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Equal rights on paper does not necessarily equate to true equal rights out there in the real world.

So long as there are injustices in the world, whether they be on paper or in our day-to-day lives, somebody somewhere is going to stand up and speak out against it.

If the day ever comes that nobody ever stands up for anything, that's the day we will all know that we're living in a George Orwell novel.

I for one, hope that day never happens.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Let us say I bought that everyone has equal rights, then my next goal would be for everyone to have equal opportunity.

Because, you know, your rights only matter insofar that you have the opportunity to exercise them.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Do you HONESTLY believe that all people are treated equally in this country? Seriously ask yourself that question.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

What does that mean exactly? I've seen some data, heard a lot of arguments now about the workforce.

Some of the biggest foul crying I've been hearing is not enough women in tech/engineering industries.

From my own experience, in tech college the student body was less than 10% females. That's not some "inequity", that's CHOICE. A real drag that was, but I was able to ace my school work at least. When I'd happen to go by USF, oh man I'd die EVERY time it was kind of devastating how many females there were EVERYWHERE, and as such:

University of South Florida-Main Campus has a male to female ratio of 44% to 56%
colleges.startclass.com...

Back in around 2003 we had multiple teachers go on at length about how white men face the biggest disadvantages in getting hired into the professional workforce.

I did a quick workforce search and dug up these charts:

Aside from the executive offices of those old dinosaur bankster companies, I dont see where the foul comes in, as the US the white population is 63%.

My impression of all of this is the people all upset about all of this (the people in college), these forces are changing quickly, and wont even much apply to the current college kids by the time they enter the field and get a few good years of experience, yet they're apparently the ones screaming the loudest about all of this kind of stuff.

Are White Males Getting Shortchanged?
I can hear you laughing. After all, most CEOs and political leaders are white males. But when you leave that top 0.1%, things look different.

I have career counseled almost 2,000 people, and unless they're stars, my white male clients have a tougher time getting hired than do women and minorities.

We accept as gospel the widely-reported statistic that women earn 77 cents on the dollar. Fact is, according to research by Dr. Warren Farrell, when all variables are controlled for: for example, actual hours worked, experience, work hazards, commute distance, and performance evaluations, for the same work, women earn more than men.

Yet white males continue to see more and more efforts to help everyone except white males:

So the CEO's at Morgan Stanley etc are white men, what the hell does that have to do with me? What good does it do me? How do I benefit from that? How is that my fault?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Who is being unfairly treated, and by whom? Whatever your case study, why does that mean all white men have to be treated like we're the scum of the earth (prejudice, that is)?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Coming from a DFG....that doesn't make a lot of sense.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I hate to use the term "social justice warrior" because of its pejorative connotations, but one thing is for certain, these activists know nothing about justice.

Even dogs have a sense of justice. To deny humans the dignity of that which can be ascribed to a dog is - Inhuman.

Dogs Understand Fairness, Get Jealous, Study Finds
edit on 11-7-2016 by olbe66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Ha, ha, it always amazes me the abbreviation of words. The economy in writing and the time it saves. Golly, what do you suppose they will do with all that saved time.....

And your right it is sort of an oxymoron......

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I don't subscribe to the term "SJW" and find that like "white knight" it is thrown around as a pejorative against those who believe in healing the wounds in our society.

Personally, I don't have any "goals." I don't protest (though I do support everyone's right to speak and protest peacefully,) I don't agitate, and I don't even vote most of the time frankly because I have yet to see candidates I feel I can in good conscience support, with rare, few exceptions - all of whom have never had any chance of being elected.

All I do, is very calmly, very peacefully advocate compassion, and institutional changes in that spirit of compassion and empathy, that I hope will one day see to it that the dignity, wellbeing, and freedom of everyone - e v e r y o n e - will be upheld.

I also advocate an understanding of intersectionality. That those who are minority groups in our society are not the only ones who suffer and that everyone has the right to express and seek succor for their own suffering... but that those who are minority groups are more vulnerable, and de facto treated differently by many institutions in our society and thus need support and protection. Until that changes, I could never declare that we now have true and full equality.

I have no interest in persuading anyone to think, feel, or act differently than they already do. I support the second amendment, I support the 1st amendment, and I support the 4th amendment... all of which I feel have been curtailed in some respects or are trying to be curtailed. (This is one reason I cannot vote for either major party, nor for any third party candidates in the upcoming election. Even those who stand closest to my views and conscience, either support policies which impact 4th amendment rights, or 2nd amendment rights.)

All I do, is express my own feelings and thoughts, and TRY to encourage love, compassion, and empathy, despite my own failings and imperfections in those regards, as none of us are perfect in those goals imho. If that makes me an "SJW" so be it, but I dislike the label intensely. I'm not "warring" for anything. Just expressing myself.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

Dig!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Being an Actual Social Justice Warrior, I fight for social justice, rights for everyone.

It's not just that everyone has equal rights, but ...like ...

...if my son got bullied in school and the school did nothing about it, I'd fight.
...If my Lesbian friend got discriminated against, I'd fight for her.
...If there was police misconduct in my neighborhood, I'd fight to bring the cops to justice.
...If the Government of Nevada, took measures to stop roof top solar power, which they did, I'll/I am fighting against that.

Simple. Whenever there is an issue, we fight. Generally these days, it's specific situations and incidents. That's where the fight is.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Well that's all like 'common sense', like who wouldn't that all that, was always my attitude.

So that's why I dont all this extremism the past few years, that has lead to cyber-stalking (er "doxxing"), the squashing of free speech on college campuses, actual riots, and so on that brought about the "SJW" term.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

If there are injustices in the world and promised equality is absent, take it up with the stinkin' government.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
PS: If you will: Are equal rights good enough?

It's always easy to dismiss equal rights when you've never had to fight for them yourself.

Women are still paid less than men. Gays are still discriminated against. Transgender people are still treated as social outcasts. Black Americans still face social prejudices. Innocent muslims are treated with suspicion based solely on religion. Let's revisit your question after these injustices are fixed.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

So that's the fault of ALL white men?

As a minority in the part of Tampa where I lived for many years, until just recently, I was discriminated against all the time by Blacks, but not once by Hispanics. I could tell you stories. Up in the city of Detroit, woah, just woah! Yet I never went online black bashing and doxxing people, and never discriminated against blacks in the real world. I even employed a black chick last summer. Down here in "little Mexico" where I'm at now, I've not had a single dirty look or anything like it.

In the bigger picture, how do you propose to fix these perceived injustices? By discriminating against all SWM? If so, is that "progress"?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join