It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the purpose of blocking a street/highway?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Every single time black lives matters or some protest involving african americans is marching or protesting, they end up linking arms, and blocking a highway. What the hell good does this do? its the dumbest thing i have seen from these protesting groups.
hey, lets all go peacefully protest, and we will block this major highway or intersection! it will be great!

is there a reason they tend to do this? im just not understanding why. wouldnt it be better to protest in front of a police station?

i live in western new york. there hasnt been any kind of police shootings, or brutality at all. the buffalo police department is mostly black, but there are still rallys/protests. i find it ignorant and utterly stupid to block a road. i mean it prevents emergency vehicles from moving about, and it just straight out pisses people off. is this the reason? any one care to elaborate?

Blocking an ambulance route is potentially deadly. If people need emergency medical attention they could easily die waiting for protesters to disperse — they don’t have hours to wait.

conservativetribune.com...

so lets block an ambulance and climb on a semi truck! that will prove our point!

heres another one from the chicago trump protest-
lets block ambulances guys!

www.youtube.com...

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
because people are stupid, dumb muthaf***ers, like George Carlin says..

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: nobunagaYou think that's dumb. What about rioting and completely trashing your own neighbourhood. Now that's just plain stupid.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
abc7.com...
here they block the 405 in inglewood
www.nbcnews.com...
here they block i - 94 in minnesota

www.arkansasonline.com...
here they block i-40 bridge over the mississippi in memphis

here they block the sf bay bridge
www.usatoday.com...

www.fox9.com...
here they block an airport terminal

shouldnt this be illegal to block a major highway? i understand people have the right to protest, but blocking major
thoroughfares is dumb, stupid, ignorant, life threatening, and pointless. cant they just protest peacefully in a park?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

Every single time black lives matters or some protest involving african americans is marching or protesting, they end up linking arms, and blocking a highway. What the hell good does this do? its the dumbest thing i have seen from these protesting groups.

Shooting people in cold blood is okay, though...

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Blocking roadways does NOT fall under the banner of PEACEABLE assembly.

They have the right to protest.

They have the right to assembly.

What they don't have the right to do.

Is to bring anything to a stand still barring OTHER people from going on about their business, and local and state agencies from doing their JOBS.

That is not how the first works.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The "point" is to manufacture a purpose because, really, this disparate group of protesters - while they may all be righteously angry - are angry to varying degrees and for various reasons. The issues they are protesting have very complicated cultural, political, sociological and psychological roots and so there is no clear-cut, easy answer. That translates to no purpose, other than as simply an outlet for frustrations. Blocking traffic, taking over highways is the only thing they can agree on.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
That is not how the first works.

Yeah, actually it does:

First, political speech in traditional public forums, such as streets and parks, is afforded a very high level of first amendment protection, and blanket prohibitions of such speech are generally unconstitutional. Source

You have a constitutionally protected right to engage in peaceful protest in “traditional public forums” such as streets, sidewalks or parks. Source

The government can't prohibit marches on public sidewalks or streets, or rallies in most public parks or plazas. But it can often require a permit to regulate competing uses of the area and to ensure you respect reasonable time, place and manner restrictions. Source

And if you also have a permit there is pretty much nothing the government can do about blocking thoroughfares.

edit on 11-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Seems to be in Chicago. By BLM ignoring that fact, what that tells me is that it's OK to kill your own on purpose, but cops can't do the same by mistake.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Then someone needs to look up the word PEACEABLE.

peace·a·ble ˈpēsəb(ə)l/ adjective inclined to avoid argument or violent conflict.

Peaceable

Blocking roadways is a clear provocation of conflict.

Because they KNOW it's coming.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

Seems to be in Chicago. By BLM ignoring that fact, what that tells me is that it's OK to kill your own on purpose, but cops can't do the same by mistake.

BLM didn't form their movement because of police 'accidents'.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Blocking a roadway is Constitutionally protected free speech as the sources I linked explain. If you are not happy about this I would suggest filing a brief with the Supreme Court to have our rights as citizens curtailed further.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

So the cops going to an active shooter scene being stopped.

So a ambulance trying to rush a heart attack victims

Doesn't mean anything.

Just as long as X gets to act like IDIOTS.

Well isn't that just special.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
its not holding traffic up, though...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

BLM didn't form their movement because of police 'accidents'.
I didn't say accident, I said mistake. BLM formed mostly because cops weren't paying for their mistakes. Accidents imply there's no one to blame.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
One purpose;

To disrupt the lives of others.

HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME.

ps: invest in a Train Horn.

HONK HONK MERICAH

My recommendation is the "BIG BANG TRAIN HORN" now for only 1849.99!!!!!!!

orgasm warning:

edit on 11-7-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's what their handlers tell them to do. It ensures they will get arrested, get media coverage, and continue the cycle.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well isn't that just special.

Like I said, if you are not happy about people exercising their rights you can always take legal action in an attempt to get more of them curtailed.

Free Speech is not about agreeing with what you like.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Blocking a roadway is Constitutionally protected free speech as the sources I linked explain. If you are not happy about this I would suggest filing a brief with the Supreme Court to have our rights as citizens curtailed further.
Stopping ambulances with dying people from getting to the hospital and firefighters from reaching burning buildings is constitutionally protected?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

it may be allowed by federal law, but is it morally right? to block ambulances and emergency vehicles? someones life could be in danger. and these protesters blocking the road does absolutely nothing. proves nothing. gains nothing.

and yes its illegal... unless you HAVE A PERMIT!
aclu-or.org...

Generally, you have the right to distribute literature, hold signs, collect petition signatures, and engage in other similar activities while on public sidewalks or in front of government buildings as long as you are not disrupting other people, forcing passerby to accept leaflets or causing traffic problems.

Demonstrators who engage in civil disobedience – defined as non-violent unlawful action as a form of protest – are not protected under the First Amendment. People who engage in civil disobedience should be prepared to be arrested or fined as part of their protest activity. If you endanger others while protesting, you can be arrested. A protest that blocks vehicular or pedestrian traffic is illegal without a permit.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join