It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If This Picture Paints A Thousand Words

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me how people from the safety of their keyboards will make statements about the "overreaction of the militarized police force" ..this photo shows two cops approaching a woman..the cops are properly dressed for the current environment . Taken on its own the woman doesn't appear threatening but what the pic doesn't show or tell is the rest of the story or the surrounding areas.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: ~Lucidity

i have both basic and advanced skills - but i asked you to explain the context for entertainment value

PS - you still havent figured out what propaganda is have you ?

I believe it's already been explained in this very thread maybe even.

I know what propaganda is. This is a photograph. Of a moment.

Any propagandist value you assign to it is in your head. Enjoy it in there.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

I guess, if you look really closely, the police look a little overdressed.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
i am amazed by this thread - this is the "same " ATS that screams " MSM propoganda " at almost everything - yet here you are slurping pretty obvious propaganda - ATS your mask has slipped

Propaganda? You think this was set up?

This is real.

This happened.

She did this and someone captured it.

If this wasen't propoganda, it will be used for propoganda one way or the other by one or both sides. Things are becoming way out of control on both sides. Neither side knows what to do to solve the issue. This is someting that can not be easily fixed. Even if the police can implement new policies, the emotional issues and strain will still be there.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
More important question no one's asked yet -- what's the context of this picture?

Seriously. Without context, the picture is useless. They could all be vying for her undying love for all I know without proper explanation of what went on to render this group together like this.

Love your interpertation. Wish that were true.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

It's one of those amazing photographs that captures a defining moment in history.

She's a hero, standing there alone, steadfast, for what she believes in.

that or she's waiting for her chance to bust some moves. Dance off, Bro.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ssenerawa

Scream #all lives matter loud as you can while eating steak

A cows life matters, especially whilst on the tip of my tongue prior to mastication....yummy!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

#bovine lives matter :

happy cows produce tastier steaks

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

originally posted by: elysiumfire
What BLM now need to do, is to extend their cry to 'All Lives Matter',

Good Luck with that.

Maybe when the US get rid of it's massive problem with racism the protests will change.

When you are so used to privilage, equality seems like oppression.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Pretty, young, and barely black girl planning to get a provocative picture taken of her in the USA for attention is NOTHING like an impromptu man standing in front of Chinese military tanks in communist China. It's apples and oranges. The Chinese man did something extrordinarly brave against a government ten times as ruthless against its citizens as the U.S. government. Tienamen Square and this woman have about as much in common as fire and water. I'm sure she's enjoying lunch right now, I'm not sure he's even seen the light of day in 20 years.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe

originally posted by: Lysergic

originally posted by: elysiumfire
What BLM now need to do, is to extend their cry to 'All Lives Matter',

Good Luck with that.

Maybe when the US get rid of it's massive problem with racism the protests will change.

When you are so used to privilage, equality seems like oppression.

Fortunately we have lots of people who like to make blanket statements to pigeon hole huge swaths of society, the overwhelming majority of whom they've never met, to tell us what our problems are and what we should do.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
More important question no one's asked yet -- what's the context of this picture?

Seriously. Without context, the picture is useless. They could all be vying for her undying love for all I know without proper explanation of what went on to render this group together like this.
not gonna lie I'd be vying up for her too she's a lovely looking lady.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What are they doing?

Looks like they brought out some beads and string so she could make them some peace bracelets, maybe?

Or maybe she's getting ready to Kamehameha their asses?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

She's a hero, standing there alone, steadfast, for what she believes in.

Let's not get ahead ourselves here. Use a bit of reason rather than your emotions. "Hero" is an important term that should be applied carefully.

Call me cynical, but I'm suspicious of photos like this in the age of selfies and mass media. Consider this: what if she had been dressed differently? What if she had been less attractive, or older? What if she had been male, dressed in baggy pants and a wife-beater? Or a toothless old homeless man? The action remains the same, but I'd wager people's perceptions of it might change. I'd wager the photo doesn't circulate through the media.

There's certainly no comparison to Tiananmen square.
edit on 11-7-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I am NOT a source ,if YOU think so that's your issue.
I look for patterns this one has built up over time, I have been bellegerant since it's percieved beginning when 911 was deployed by US element,the system doesn't screw up like that it was an inside job,a child could get it.BUSH put in place the Patriot act all the way to Charles Manson's wet dream happening now.
Those who disagree are free to do so SO LONG as your don't bother ME with any PC methods of communication I will eat you alive.
I don't how it feels I want results only.
"BY their acts shall you know them" doesn't work for me I WANT the result ,not philosophy.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

I don't use the word lighlty and I know what it means. I know the whole story.

And I'm not calling you anything. Your alleged logic is ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I don't use the word lighlty and I know what it means. I know the whole story.

And I'm not calling you anything. Your alleged logic is ridiculous.

Appearances and not reality are pulling at your heart strings and compelling you to call this girl a hero. The appearance of a young woman in a dress faced with large men armored in riot gear, captured in a well-timed photograph.

You must accept the fact that if the girl was replaced by someone who looked differently, or if the photo was at a poorer angle, people's reactions would be different. The media wouldn't pick up on the photo. The word "hero" might not even come into your mind.

I imagine hundreds, if not thousands of people have done exactly what this girl did in the past few years. That is, facing off with police in riot gear. Are they all heroes for simply facing off with police in riot gear? Please qualify what in particular makes this girl a hero.

I think what I'm asking is pretty logical.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Don't tell me what's pulling me.

“Her name is Ieshia and she has a 5 year old son. She went to Baton Rouge because she wanted to look her son in the eyes to tell him she fought for his freedom and rights. They haven’t released her as of yet but she’s fine. And yes, she is everything you see in this photo + so much more.”

And if thousands of others have done it, well then they're heroes too.
edit on 7/11/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This picture just adds to the rhetoric that all cops are evil, encouraging violence against police officers.

Not all law enforcement officers are bad. Of course some are, but not all.

This anti-cop hate needs to end now.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I can think of only one word when I consider the social media reaction to this image: hyperbole.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join