It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer shot, hostage situation in east Alabama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

A Randolph County Sheriff's deputy was shot and injured Saturday, according to Helfin police and media reports.

The Clay County Web is reporting a suspect armed with a handgun and rifle has a possible hostage in a camper.

The suspect allegedly set fire to his son's yard, house and car, according to the site. He also allegedly killed his son's dog.

Randolph County Sheriff's Office is leading the investigation. Multiple agencies including Helfin police, Oxford police/SWAT team and the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency have also responded.

Police officer shot, hostage situation in east Alabama

I'm really not enjoying this summer so far. Really hoping everyone is OK and this ends peacefully. Cops have really got to be on edge at this point. I would really like to see everyone just take a little nap and perhaps a chill pill and relax, we don't need anymore of this crap.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It may seem like a whole lot of shooting going on compared to normal...however I think the media plays a big part in how we perceive it. Most likely the number of police deaths are the same as always (especially since it is a dangerous job) but since it is getting good ratings right now they just keep reporting it nationally. I bet if you looked up police deaths for the last 6 months it would look pretty similar to this month's stats.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

There seems to have been an awful lot of violence to go around these last few weeks. You might be right.

I just read the number of police killed so far this year is up 44% from last year.
edit on 0920160720161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

That's interesting and not a very good prospect. I was at work when I replied to you and didn't have time to go stat hunting. Thanks for doing the leg work for me =D

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
It may seem like a whole lot of shooting going on compared to normal...however I think the media plays a big part in how we perceive it. Most likely the number of police deaths are the same as always (especially since it is a dangerous job) but since it is getting good ratings right now they just keep reporting it nationally. I bet if you looked up police deaths for the last 6 months it would look pretty similar to this month's stats.
Except for this one recent skewing the numbers (worst police deaths in one event), it has been incredibly safe.. The safest in 150 years.

Last year there were only 13 and 14 the year before that.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Except for this one recent skewing the numbers (worst police deaths in one event), it has been incredibly safe.. The safest in 150 years.

Last year there were only 13 and 14 the year before that.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It is going to get worse.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Not good. But also hard to say when the Dallas incident alone makes up for the entirety of the 44% increase.

new topics

top topics

join