It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why I can't be bothered.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: olaru12

I think that our police forces will become federalized eventually.

But I see nothing in your list that I would object to, I will say that I thought that many if not most of those things are already being done.

That's what I see as well....American Federalies ala Mexico and SA.

Not even close.....LEOs have a pronounced system of isolation and cohesive community as to be expected.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I personally kinda dig that we can always count on you to be ignorant of the facts - but willing to start a thread anyhow. It's reassuring in a sad way, but it gives us all an opportunity to deal with facts :

Race, Crime and Statistical Malpractice: How the Right Manipulates White Fear With Bogus Data

It's quite a bit of reading - so...

Almost all crime in America is committed intra-racially. That is to say, the overwhelming majority of crimes are committed by a racial group against that same group. Yet, the only race-based phrase to ever describe crime is black on black.

Whites are 6 times as likely to be murdered by another white person as by a black person; and overall, the percentage of white Americans who will be murdered by a black offender in a given year is only 2/10,000ths of 1 percent (0.0002). This means that only 1 in every 500,000 white people will be murdered by a black person in a given year. Although the numbers of black-on-white homicides are higher than the reverse (447 to 218 in 2010), the 218 black victims of white murderers is actually a higher percentage of the black population interracially killed than the 447 white victims of black murderers as a percentage of the white population.

In fact, any given black person is 2.75 times as likely to be murdered by a white person as any given white person is to be murdered by an African American.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

1. Better training. Agreed, better training is something that everyone, everywhere should strive for. What do you suggest?

2. As far as I know officers are not allowed to use drugs/steroids. I know I am randomly drug tested every year.

3. I went through an extensive psychological evaluation. It consisted of several tests that spanned an entire day, a follow up interview with a psychologist, and a polygraph examination. I believe that is common throughout every agency. How do you suggest we make testing more extensive?

4. Citizen review boards are fine (and already exist) in conjunction with law enforcement professionals. Everyone needs to be vetted though. There are clearly citizens out there that have an agenda against all law enforcement.

5. Body cameras, I agree with. I don't want it on when I am going to the bathroom though. Neither do you.

6. Don't get me started on more community involvement. We do SO much for the communities already. We have community policing programs, school resource officers, national night out, neighborhood watch, Camp Chance. PAL, citizens academies, ride along programs, shop with a cop, coffee with a cop, tip a cop, law enforcement torch run, I can go on if you wish.

You see, building bridges between the police and the community is a two way street. I used to patrol urban neighborhoods every day. I would get out of my car and walk through trying to interact with the people there. I would more often than not be told to GTFO of our community coupled with an onslaught of insults including things racial (I am white.).

How do you help a community when it doesn't want to be helped.

edit on 9-7-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Then a concerted effort to employ more minorities to help regain trust in the communities so the black/white dichotomy won't be so pronounced.

Drug testing is a joke. Steroid use is rampant in the State police Depts. and County Sheriffs dept along with EMTs and city cops.

It sounds like your Dept. has a great approach; you know as well as I that Big cities are another story. Entrenched bureaucratic systems are slow to change.

And even though I'm a staunch union man....Police unions are counter productive in the community setting.

Community involvement is BS without an effective outreach program in place.

Effective background checks

Collusion between the DA and Law enforcement MUST end.

edit on 9-7-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

You took it personally. That's unfortunate but understandable... but I guess you just still do your job according to your ethical code (and the law) even if it goes without gratitude.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Timing is everything. Trust was broken - over and over. Pretending like that's make believe is not helping

Honestly - I don't have the energy to open up a new can of worms, but maybe your answer is tied into understanding how you asked the question

edit on 7/9/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: laptop issues...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Funny you mention employing more minorities.

That would be great! However, a few things I can add.

My friend worked in recruiting at the previous agency I worked for. He was instructed to contact five black candidates for every one candidate.

Also, my first phase training officer was black, and let me tell you how he was treated in black neighborhoods. I witnessed that great man called an Uncle Tom, House N***a, sellout, among other derogatory names on a DAILY basis.

Ultimately, we cannot force people to be police officers.

Do you think the way that black police officers are viewed by other blacks an issue with getting them to pursue the profession?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

True, but it is not just me experiencing such things.

It is police officers from all over the country dealing with the same day in and day out.

Eventually, it comes to a point when you don't want to try anymore.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Did I ever say trust wasn't broken?

There are officers trying EVERY damn day to build that broken trust and make their communities a better safer place.

Many officers, including one of my previous coworkers have given their lives trying to do so.

Like I said before, it is a two street.

Our hands are reaching out and we are receiving practically nothing in return.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

No one's saying screw them, but did you miss the whole point on purpose? It's kind of like worrying a light bulb is out when your whole house is on fire.

Please spare me your BS, the point is to use "black on black killing" as an excuse to whitewash your disregard for people of colour being disproportionately assaulted & killed by those sworn to uphold the law.

K~

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I'm a realist....the country is divided along racial lines. The hippies had the right idea but the rednecks won the battle.

The future as I see it will be more private lockups with cops working for them but paid for by the taxpayers.

Ayn Rands wet dream gone horror show!!!!

Basically a justice system run and dictated to by venture capitalist corporations.

Corporate Justice...Extensive Corporate surveillance system....Corporate cops.....

It's a brave new world....

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I imagine that mentality set in with ghetto communities pretty much instantly and if it comes to point where an officer just doesn't want to try anymore... perhaps it's time for that officer to stop being paid by tax dollars.

edit on 7/9/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Oh no doubt, once an officer loses the desire to continue to extend an olive branch that keeps getting knocked away by those claiming the police do nothing should move on.

That is what I did!

Eventually, the good officers that wanted to make a difference will leave, and what we will be left with won't be good.

It is already happening all over. Dallas PD had to cancel their last two academy classes because no one wants to apply.

www.policeone.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think it is safe to admit that skin colour has nothing to do with crime numbers like these.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

That is what I did!

I'm glad you did, I admire a person who has the integrity to know when their heart isn't in something it's time to move on.

It is already happening all over. Dallas PD had to cancel their last two academy classes because no one wants to apply.

It will be interesting to see if that continues and what the result will be. I wonder if it's because it's more lucrative and less uhh restrictive to work in corporate gigs as Olaru mentioned that seems to be the way things are going. But I do wonder what trends will show during the intermittent gap.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Oh no doubt, once an officer loses the desire to continue to extend an olive branch that keeps getting knocked away by those claiming the police do nothing should move on.

Yep and olive branch in one hand and a taser, truncheon, mace, Glock 22, in the other.

See the disconnect? Peace but on my authoritarian command....not the most effective way to win trust!

I know you know what law enforcement will look like in 10 years. Glad you have moved on. So have I.....

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

It will be interesting to see if that continues and what the result will be. I wonder if it's because it's more lucrative and less uhh restrictive to work in corporate gigs as Olaru mentioned that seems to be the way things are going. But I do wonder what trends will show during the intermittent gap.

National Guard, Reservist, and a sparkling new DHS unit complete with hummers and roof mounted firepower.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I can see that happening. I wonder though if they are brave enough to draw that battle line for real and not just flex it during protests.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I can see that happening. I wonder though if they are brave enough to draw that battle line for real and not just flex it during protests.

Once proven effective is will become de rigueur in the Streets all over America as a "preventive" measure. Just a matter of time. American democracy and free speech is on life support.

Next up....www. personal communication sanctions

I honestly hope it's my dystopian novel addiction tainting my reason. What do you think?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join