It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooled children have higher graduation rates, more social prowess

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: Annee
NO not just physical discipline as in a little swat now and again, but they also lacked discipline in their own mind.

A disciplined person is a trained person. Training may take some physical discipline so they know right from wrong. Love is always the key.

I never mentioned what type of discipline.

So, now you're saying you can only have mind discipline through Christianity?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I covered all discipline in my last reply physcial, mental and emotional. Usually when people don't show respect of another's property it is evident they have not been disciplines in knowing how to respect others and their property. It comes from that community family social garbage where what is yours is mine type of attitude.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Sounds reasonable

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Sounds reasonable

Except he's implying you have to be Christian to learn how to respect others.

Otherwise you only care about yourself.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I was replying to the Noah Webster thing..

You think I should cook spaghetti and meatballs right now or just eat candy?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
What's horribly ironic in Alaska is the same people that complain about the "moochers" and "leechers" on welfare will gladly accept government money for their homeschool kids and then never present any kind of proof their kids are actually learning anything. For all we know, they could be scamming the system for free money.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

I was replying to the Noah Webster thing..

You think I should cook spaghetti and meatballs right now or just eat candy?

Oh, Oops!

Well, I hadn't read any bio of Webster before. Now I have

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
My sister is considering homeschooling her youngest kid and I have been trying to talk her out of it cos I believe homeschooling can create social behavioral issues. After reading such diverse views about homeschooling, I am now confused about how I feel about homeschooling.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I was not saying that at all. I was saying the one teaching is where they learn to be respectful. You cannot teach respect in a book or a classroom, it is learned by example the kids will mimic their parents. If the parents are not respectful generally the children wont be.

Or they will learn it by example of their peers if they don't see their parents very often because of work issues, lack of parent or parents in the house. My children are not m=family of a community, they are my family and I must be responsible to teach them by example. This is what is wrong, no parental guidance, only public education system raising a generation of self absorbed self centered kids who need safety zones to handle the stress of life. And if anything happens they blame everyone and take not responsibility for their own actions.
edit on 14-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: tracy18

If your sister is a good teacher and role model, I believe that homeschooling will be great for her family.

However, I have qualms about homeschooling bc there is no "school community" so to say, team sports, congregations, clubs that I believe is very important for a child to be a part of, especially in their older years in school.

If that is not important to your sister, or she can find a way around the lack of school community...then I would support her decision.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
I was not saying that at all. I was saying the one teaching is where they learn to be respectful. You cannot teach respect in a book or a classroom, it is learned by example the kids will mimic their parents. If the parents are not respectful generally the children wont be.

Or they will learn it by example of their peers if they don't see their parents very often because of work issues, lack of parent or parents in the house. My children are not m=family of a community, they are my family and I must be responsible to teach them by example. This is what is wrong, no parental guidance, only public education system raising a generation of self absorbed self centered kids who need safety zones to handle the stress of life. And if anything happens they blame everyone and take not responsibility for their own actions.

Idealism is a nice word.

How often do you see it in the real world?

Good schools may be the only place a kid learns respect for themselves, others, and property.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: tracy18
My sister is considering homeschooling her youngest kid and I have been trying to talk her out of it cos I believe homeschooling can create social behavioral issues. After reading such diverse views about homeschooling, I am now confused about how I feel about homeschooling.

For me it depends on the child and the child's needs.

If I had a special needs child and there was no qualified school in my area - - then I would probably home school that child until I could find the right place.

If I had a child that was over sensitive and/or being bullied - - I'd pull the child out to home school - - at least temporarily.

If I had a child that was LGBT and not getting support from his/her school - - I would home school - - at least temporarily.

We are a society. We do live in a system. For me this is something a child needs to learn and be a part of.

Parents are responsible for all other stuff, IMO.

My grandson is high functioning Autistic. It is not something obvious. It took experts in the field to recognize it and recommend special schooling. He got into a public school program when he was 3. We were skeptical, so worked very closely with the school and teachers. In the end, they were right and we were wrong. Parents DO NOT know everything.

I suggest reading: homeschoolersanonymous.org...

edit on 14-7-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
www.valuespreadsheet.com...

In 2006, Sir Ken Robinson, a British author and international advisor on education, held a moving, must-see TED talk which has been viewed by millions on how schools kill creativity.

The primary way schools go about killing creativity is by punishing children for making mistakes, while failure is the prerequisite to learning and creativity. In Robinson's words: "Being wrong is not the same thing as being creative, but if you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with something original." It is important to note that creativity is more than artistic creativity; it is the ability to transcend traditional ideas and create innovative solutions by using one's imagination.

I once heard the term "bulimic system" being used to describe the way we stuff our students with facts, which they then have to puke out on a test at a later date. This highly ineffective system is nothing more than a memory test and leaves no room at all for creative thinking. The dreadful result is that at the end of their education all kids, young adults by then, are afraid of being wrong, because they have been taught that there is nothing worse than making mistakes. Our children start primary school as young artists and leave university as imaginationless sheep.

The educational system was created by rich bigots in power to control peoples children, in order to create their little empire of drones to do their work for them, drone work.

www.lovethetruth.com...

www.amazon.com...

The Independent Treasury Act of 1921 suspended the de jure (meaning "by right of legal establishment") Treasury Department of the United States government.

Our Congress turned the treasury department over to a private corporation, the Federal Reserve and their agents. The bulk of the ownership of the Federal Reserve System, a very well kept secret from the American Citizen, is held by these banking interests: Rothschild Bank of London Rothschild Bank of Berlin Warburg Bank of Hamburg Warburg Bank of Amsterdam Lazard Brothers of Paris Israel Moses Seif Banks of Italy Chase Manhattan Bank of New York Goldman, Sachs of New York Lehman Brothers of New York Kuhn Loeb Bank of New York

The Federal Reserve is at the root of most of our present laws. Basically, the Federal Reserve is the "STATE" of the United States. See "Our Enemy, The STATE" by Albert J. Nock - 1935, his Classic Critique Distinguishing "Government" from the "STATE." See Also Charts in Text Format of Interlocking Directorships and Family Linkages taken from "Federal Reserve Directors: A Study of Corporate and Banking Influence. Staff Report, Committee on Banking, Currency and Housing, House of Representatives, 94th Congress, 2nd Session, August 1976." Thomas Jefferson once said: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies . . .

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] . . . will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered . . . The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -- Thomas Jefferson -- The Debate Over The Recharter Of The Bank Bill, (1809)

and then, there's the problem of the entire Education System being geared towards Left Brain Thinking.

This is a problem, particularly for Right Brained Children.. Why do they do this?

and that was when Einstein was alive, I can only imagine what he'd think of the 'Educrapsystem' now.

edit on 7/16/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Parents who homeschool likely have IQ's a touch above average and in general care more about their children.
I'd like to see homeschoolers against good school districts, as in the one where the parents purposely move there for the schools or the parents are successful and likely high IQ.

I'd need to see children IQ adjusted data.

Schools need to split the classes in 3 groups. The achievers/high IQ, the general populace, the slackers troublemakers. I know some districts split into a general school and a high achievment academy. special ed already exist for the challenged.

The problem I remember in school was how mentally slow it was. Common core is for the lowest common denominator and I believe is to reflect new demographics.

(post by Alenagilbert removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

You found Common Core to be lowest denominator?

Is that first hand experience?

'Cuz it sure isn't my experience.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Yes, home education showed good results for the last years, however it was proved as well that such children find it difficult to adapt to social life in college or at work. There are always pros and cons in every education form.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join