It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This guy takes the cake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I came across this debate on gun control on YouTube and wow. This has got to be the most insane one yet. This guy Jeffrey Robinson has got to be the most hyperbolic, fact-denying, anti-gunner I've ever seen!

And I thought Piers Morgan was a tool.

He reminds me of Rob Reiner on south park lol.

The only fact he could come up with was his ludicrous "50,000 gun deaths per year" statistic. What?

There are roughly 32,000 gun deaths per year in the United States. Of those, around 60% are suicides. About 3% are accidental deaths (between 700-800 deaths). About 34% of deaths (just over 11,000 in both 2010 and 2011) make up the remainder of gun deaths and are classified as homicides.

source

He failed to make one valid argument throughout what I guess we could call a.. debate?

I know not all anti-gunners are like this, but this is pretty recent. I hope you guys don't want this asshat representing you.

By the way, props to Lauren Southern. Her anti-feminist videos are choice. If anyone knows her give her my #

edit on 8-7-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2016 by rockintitz because: Added source

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
That guy was an idiot. Not ignorant, but an idiot.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Surprised he didn't just come out and say you should make murder a crime and to ban murderers from America

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

He did say we should have background checks though!

Derp. We already do.

But he also said we shouldn't let people with restraining orders buy guns!

Derp again. We don't. It's on the 4473.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

That is marvellous.

So basically, he wants nothing to change then? What many people fail to realise is that just because there is a background check, does not mean there has been a full physical examination, a mental healthcare check, or an examination of a persons internet activity before purchase goes through. All it means is, that a persons official government history has been gone over. Nothing more. Taxes and property rights and this that and the other are checked, but unless a person has been convicted of an offence, diagnosed with a long term mental illness, or connected with a terrorist organisation, they are getting that weapon.

What is more, and here is the real rub, if anyone was to suggest that a person should have to go through a psychological evaluation, a physical check up, and a full internet history search before purchasing a firearm, most people would be up in arms!

And you know what? I completely agree with that hypothetical angry mob. Why? Because near enough every post on the real issues on this website, which has any value or merit to it, is by definition a red flag to the government of the poster who issued the comment. Because near enough everyone is just a little crazy, and because no one is in the best shape they possibly could be, unless they happen to have one of those mental illnesses that requires rock hard abs and biceps you could crush walnuts with, just to feel secure in their appearance! You would wind up with no one owning guns at all!

Liberty has a cost. It is NOT your tax hit at the end of the year, it is NOT the automatic addition of your entire life to social media. Liberties cost is risk. Liberty is riskier than allowing oneself to be oppressed. Being oppressed may be a terrible thing, but it is easier than providing for your protection from that which seeks dominion over the individual.

You either love Liberty and freedom, and accept the cost of it, though it may be great, or you accept the only other option, which to any reasonable person is unacceptable, given the cost already paid to enshrine freedoms and rights into law.

The wages of sin may be paid in death, but the cost of Liberty is risk, and occasionally, someone is going to pay that bill. It is a horrific truth, but a truth none the less.

It seems to me, that the fellow in the video is trying to say something along the lines of:

"The system isn't perfect. Make it perfect and do it now!"

The perfect system to protect people from lunatics with firearms, is for no one to be armed at all, not even the criminals. It is not, however, physically possible to guarantee that all weapons have been removed from a continent the size of North America. It is also not possible to maintain a solid border defence at all points around the edges of a country that large, which means legal or not, there will always be guns in the USA, even if they are bought in from elsewhere, so the only choice anyone has over there, is whether or not to carry, not whether or not there should be guns.

There are. They are not going away. Deal with the reality, and embrace your rights folks! Trust me, live in a nation where gun ownership is so heavily restricted that only a small fraction of our people own one. Most of those are shotguns. I can't even carry a knife with me of any decent size for gods sake.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I was in England with my ex a few years back and I decided to look up the laws on a pellet gun. I was surprised that you needed a permit.

I use that argument. There is a price to pay to live in a free society. Sometimes it is harsh.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

What is more, and here is the real rub, if anyone was to suggest that a person should have to go through a psychological evaluation, a physical check up, and a full internet history search before purchasing a firearm, most people would be up in arms! 

See, here in the states, the burden of proof is on the state to prove someone shouldn't have access to their rights, not the other way around. Due process.

And you know what? I completely agree with that hypothetical angry mob. Why? Because near enough every post on the real issues on this website, which has any value or merit to it, is by definition a red flag to the government of the poster who issued the comment. Because near enough everyone is just a little crazy, and because no one is in the best shape they possibly could be, unless they happen to have one of those mental illnesses that requires rock hard abs and biceps you could crush walnuts with, just to feel secure in their appearance! You would wind up with no one owning guns at all! 

Exactly. I won't admit to being perfectly normal. No one can. I wonder when someone's quirks or eccentricities turn into red flags for the state.

Liberty has a cost. It is NOT your tax hit at the end of the year, it is NOT the automatic addition of your entire life to social media. Liberties cost is risk. Liberty is riskier than allowing oneself to be oppressed. Being oppressed may be a terrible thing, but it is easier than providing for your protection from that which seeks dominion over the individual. 

Liberty always has a cost. It's the risks involved with living in a truly free society. Giving up liberty for perceived security is some people's choice, but it's not true liberty.

The perfect system to protect people from lunatics with firearms, is for no one to be armed at all, not even the criminals. It is not, however, physically possible to guarantee that all weapons have been removed from a continent the size of North America. It is also not possible to maintain a solid border defence at all points around the edges of a country that large, which means legal or not, there will always be guns in the USA, even if they are bought in from elsewhere, so the only choice anyone has over there, is whether or not to carry, not whether or not there should be guns. 

There are. They are not going away. Deal with the reality, and embrace your rights folks! Trust me, live in a nation where gun ownership is so heavily restricted that only a small fraction of our people own one. Most of those are shotguns. I can't even carry a knife with me of any decent size for gods sake.

And there you go. When you're staring at the barrel of a gun, you want a gun. Not a phone. Not a broomstick.

No laws will ever erase crime. You in the UK know that. Liberty means taking the bad with the good, and doing your best to make society better without restricting essential freedom.

I never though posting this video would inspire such a lengthy, thoughtful response but I know that's how you roll truebrit. Cheers

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The media are the cause of the endless mass shootings:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

great post Brit, and i see you smoke what your rollin, most of your post would raise a flag or two of distinguishing colours.

top topics

join