It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farnborough: A key role in Britain's aerospace industry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Found this article on the BBC and figured some of the Air enthusiasts might find it informative to read.

Has a nice history of the air show and some timeline videos of the aircraft and some pictures too of yesterdays beautiful engineering within flight, still yet to visit the show myself as where I live we have an annual air show too but wouldn't mind going just to see the Raptor in flight

The Saunders Roe jet flying boat fighter picture is something I've not seen before, certainly an interesting looking craft and the Comet is just a beautiful design as opposed to the SRN1 hovercraft which just looks bizarre.
edit on 8/7/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

correct web link

and to contribute something to the thread , google :

" national gas turbine establishment "

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Found this article on the BBC and figured some of the Air enthusiasts might find it informative to read.

Has a nice history of the air show and some timeline videos of the aircraft and some pictures too of yesterdays beautiful engineering within flight, still yet to visit the show myself as where I live we have an annual air show too but wouldn't mind going just to see the Raptor in flight

The Saunders Roe jet flying boat fighter picture is something I've not seen before, certainly an interesting looking craft and the Comet is just a beautiful design as opposed to the SRN1 hovercraft which just looks bizarre.

The first time went to Farnborough was in 1986. My brother was 2, i was 11. I remember seeing the SR-71 take off and perform there. The sound of the engines was exponentialy louder than anything else there. I remember my internal ograns shaking vividly. My brother and i then went every 2 years right up until 4 years ago.

We dont go anymore as the show is getting worse and worse (the flying displays). Sad as that was our little tradition,

Still, i have a huge soft spot in my heart for the show

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

This year will be one of the biggest events in years. The F-35, 737 Max, KC-390 and a bunch of others will make their debuts with many flying displays that should be impressive as hell.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

This year will be one of the biggest events in years. The F-35, 737 Max, KC-390 and a bunch of others will make their debuts with many flying displays that should be impressive as hell.

yeah, my brother told me that. We might give it another try this year. Honestly, the last 3 i went to were just terrible.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

It would be worth going to just for the F-35 displays. They're going to have one B model on static display and one flying, including a vertical landing and in flight refueling demo.

www.farnborough.com...
edit on 7/8/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Thanks I thought I'd copied the link and pasted it, corrected now

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

It would be worth going to just for the F-35 displays. They're going to have one B model on static display and one flying, including a vertical landing and in flight refueling demo.

www.farnborough.com...

Good point.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The in flight refueling will certainly be something special to see

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

It's just a probe and drogue setup behind a KC-130J. I don't think they do them often though at shows.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Has anyone else here seen the SR-71 take off close up? Or was i exceptionally lucky?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I've stood directly under one while it was sitting in the hangar.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Where we are is in a flight path for a lot of military crap passing overhead.....wish you could track it on the web
but it does have its advantages when walking back home and suddenly theres a lancaster bomber probably 100ft in front of you and have seen loads of spitfires etc with it being the home town of the inventor.

But the mrs is the spoilt one, where she used to live was where the red arrows train and they'd get daily performances

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I used to live in Alabama under the high speed corridor coming out of Marietta. All the F-22s went over us during testing, and we got quite a few shows when they were doing maneuvers. Even had a couple Su-27s go over.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The SR-71's used to display while based at Mildenhall. I remember the first time I saw one in the air and how rapidly it built speed with just a short afterburner run from just one of those huge engines. I think it was 20 miles away before it slowed enough to make a turn and return!

I also used to see them sometimes very early morning over the Wash area of the Norfolk Coast. First sighting was usually the circling KC-135R waiting for the Blackbird to arrive.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I've stood directly under one while it was sitting in the hangar.

It must be freeckin huge up close. My favourite little nugget of trivia about is its use of deca or di borane to start the burners. Hence the green flame way deep inside the engine at startup

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

You can use JP7 to put fires out. They've done it.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy

The SR-71's used to display while based at Mildenhall. I remember the first time I saw one in the air and how rapidly it built speed with just a short afterburner run from just one of those huge engines. I think it was 20 miles away before it slowed enough to make a turn and return!

I also used to see them sometimes very early morning over the Wash area of the Norfolk Coast. First sighting was usually the circling KC-135R waiting for the Blackbird to arrive.

Beautiful sight im sure. They use to operate out of the UK.

You guys should read sled driver. It's first hand account of flying the sled (as the blackbird is known). Very interesting.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

It's better if you read The Untouchables too.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It's better if you read The Untouchables too.

Not following you buddy

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join