It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A light microscope made only with consumer electronic products

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
From
nanowerk

14 Jun 2016
www.nanowerk.com...=43670.php?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=nanowerkemergingtechnologiesnew s

(Nanowerk News) Light microscopes based on scattering, reflection and absorption, or a combination of these, have been a key enabling technology for the study of objects invisible to our eyes, especially in the field of biology. Many improvements have been made in the past to create state-of-the-art techniques capable of achieving unprecedented resolution and sensitivity albeit their cost, which drastically increases with quality and versatility, making them quite unavailable for general applications.
. . .
The researchers have developed a large FOV interferometric on-chip lens free microscope (LIM) based on a novel design with a very high axial sensitivity and DOF, applying a technique adequate to be used in microarray platforms for the detection of proteins without the need of labels.
. . .
By using collimated polarized light, the team of scientists was able to reconstruct the image by shining light through the transparent sample to observe and analyze the phase shift and interference intensity pattern, a technique known as phase-shifting interferometry (PSI). As UPC Prof at ICFO Juan P. Torres states, "any slight refractive index change introduced by an impurity in the sample is translated into a phase difference and thus an intensity variation in the pattern, showing the contours and therefore size of the irregularity".
. . .

I'm clearly an ignorant layman in such matters.
However, that sounds a bit exciting, to me.
I'd think it would have applications in hospitals and even the average MD's office.
And what fun in schools!
Anyone think you could build one with such information?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Your link doesn't work mate.

But Macgyvering anything and handing it to the masses, that usually is the exclusive domain of the rich and positioned, is alright by me.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Sorry. I searched on the sight and came up with a literal blank. May try dogpile.com later.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Wellllll, 5 pages of a dogpile.com search turned up no such article.

This might be related, though:

www.sciencedaily.com...

Liquid crystals open new route to planar optical elements

= = =

www.sciencedaily.com...

New high-capability solid-state electron microscope detector enables novel studies of materials
= = =
www.sciencedaily.com...
Attosecond camera for nanostructures
= = =

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

TRYING AGAIN.

This link still worked from the alternative news referral link:
www.nanowerk.com...=43670.php?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=nanowerkemergingtechnologiesnew s

Let me try and paste it in with spaces between

www space dot space nanowerk space dot space com

to turn it off and then folks can paste it into the URL window without the spaces and see if that works:

www . nanowerk . com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=43670.php?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=nanowerkemergingtechnologiesnews

OK, THAT DID WORK. I pasted the last link just above in the URL slot . . . then removed the spaces as I mentioned and it worked.

Crazy.

edit on 8/7/2016 by BO XIAN because: trying to get link to work

edit on 8/7/2016 by BO XIAN because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/7/2016 by BO XIAN because: SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH THE WAY ATS IS HANDLING THE STRAIGHTFORWARD LINK, EVIDENTLY

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=43670.php
edit on 7/25/16 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Finding imperfections in gemstones would be one use.
Also, realtime water purity/clarity.

top topics

join