It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Man's Sky has gone GOLD!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

lol@ Your video. O god i forgot about the gameplay and how sean murray said he was heavily inspired by halo's combat system!

Then again, if sean murray didnt lie at nearly every media event this might have just been a slightly successful indie game and not this overly hyped monstrosity that it was.

Props to sean murray for making an indie game look like a AAA title with a next-gen minecrafty aura.

I think he may have single handedly reduced future pre-orders of original games for eternity. Whos ever going to trust a game without a beta or trusted previous titles again?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Thing is the amount of refunds could actually really hurt the company because Steam gets paid no matter what so every refund they still have to pay steam 30% just looking it looks like it pushed the ps4 refund page to breaking point.
I have only played a few hours I wonder If I can get one?.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The first talk of ASA comes from a reddit user Link

Many sites start siting it as fact but it all leads back to that link

A good article to read is at link

Some Highlights of the article

We talk to lawyers about the No Man's Sky false advertising investigation
To better understand the potential consequences of the UK's Advertising Standards Authority's investigation into No Man's Sky, we reached out to a number of legal experts proficient in the realm of video game law for their take on the situation. Stephen McArthur, a "Video Game Lawyer" of McArthur Law Firm, Ryan Morrison of Morrison Lee, Jas Purewal of Purewal and Partners LLP, and Tom Buscaglia, The Game Attorney, agreed to lend us their knowledge and explain what this investigation could mean for Hello Games, Valve, and the industry as a whole.

What's the ASA, and what power does it have?

The ASA is an independent authority with the power to issue, but not enforce, sanctions on advertising that breaches the UK Advertising Codes. As such, its judgments are not legally binding, and it is up to the offending company as to whether it follows the ASA's recommendations.

The law on false advertising in video games is developing fast, particularly over the last few years, Purewal tells us. He points out that many recent cases in the US have been unsuccessful,

The No Man's Sky claims, though, aren't so easily defined, and that's where Aliens: Colonial Marines serves as the most instructive example. Morrison highlights the fact that the Colonial Marines case was reduced from a class-action suit to one representing only the two plaintiffs, a ruling made due to the difficulty of proving which players had purchased the game based solely on its false advertising, and which had picked it up for other reasons.

It's a similar case for No Man's Sky. Of the claims the ASA is investigating, how many people bought NMS purely on the basis of it having flowing rivers? How many copies were sold on the ability to fly close to the ground? Was the promise of bathing wildlife a deciding factor for a significant chunk of the audience?

Given how impractical it would be to prove any of these claims, it's highly unlikely the ASA will advise any sort of blanket refund or remuneration. Morrison suspects something more along the lines of a strongly-worded warning advising Hello Games to be more mindful with its marketing in the future. Purewal expects much the same, pointing to the settlement between the FTC, Microsoft, and Machinima over paid endorsements on YouTube. "The impact on the consumer is indirect," he says. "They may not see ads in a particular way done again."

Morrison doubts that it will have much impact, even if the ASA concludes that players have been misled. "Under American law, I don't think they've broken the law," he tells us. Rather, he attributes the frustration and disappointment surrounding No Man's Sky to a misinterpretation of the marketing material. Videos and screenshots depict the ideal planets, the ideal wildlife, the ideal experience—and that's not necessarily what everyone's going to get. Procedural generation is inherently unpredictable; no trailer could equally represent 18 quintillion planets' worth of content in just two minutes.

Morrison also points out that, in legal terms, any comments made by Sean Murray in interviews or in Reddit AMAs are not considered advertising. Claims made in these forums do not fall under the official marketing umbrella, and as such do not hold up in a legal context. Any hypothetical lawsuit would be limited to the media distributed by Hello Games as a whole.

After restating his belief that Hello Games has neither broken the law nor purposely deceived any of its players, Morrison closes with a piece of advice it's always worth reiterating: "People need to stop pre-ordering games." If you aren't 100-percent confident you know what you're getting, give it a week before handing over your hard-earned cash. Watch Let's Plays. Read the reviews. A little research goes a long way.

No go ahead puff up the chest and start name calling, spewing the same old bs over and over.

No one forced you to buy a game, no one said you don't have to like it. What we fans are asking is to stop spreading false information. We understand you want your money back in which you could have if you returned it in a appropriate time.
Digital copies have been refunded but not when you play over certain time. In which they agreed to when they bought the game. Physical copy could be traded in. You don't get full price look at it as a rental.

I read interviews before the game watched video's before the game came out still bought it still enjoy it.

Diablo 3 watched many videos before release, read many things. It came out bought it wasn't what I was under the impression it was going to be. I don't play it. But I don't tell others not to play it. Didn't jump on a wagon trying to get everyone to hate it. Call fans of it names and spew a bunch of crap about it.

Same as Spore. Elderscrolls Online. Watch Dogs. Final Fantasy 10 ( part 2), Final Fantasy 13, 14. Torchlight 2. I could go on.

People are upset I get it. False advertisement no not really, if thats the case why not go after Ax cause when you spray it chicks are not on you like the commercials, or old spice you don't turn into a centaur, skittles has no idea what a rainbow tastes like.

Movie trailers show great part of a movie to get you to see it yet time and time again it turns out that you wasted your money.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Pebujesa

Still a # game.
2.6 on user reviews metacritic.
Oh and I got my refund.
edit on 5-10-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pebujesa
What we fans are asking is to stop spreading false information.

Well, that's a bit rich coming from someone defending Sean Murray's awful product...

Sean deserves a kicking.

And I'm a pacifist.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I predicted this =P

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is how you do it....OMG!.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

hehe don't troll the one man's lie fanbois they know their title sucks.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Just gonna point out that for 24 bucks you can get in star citizen.....

Oh and so tempted to jump in now after seeing what is in alpha 2.5.

robertsspaceindustries.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Nice, think it was 30 bucks when I jumped on.

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I may save up for the rift just for SC.

But then I never go out put on a ton of weight....and rule the galaxy
edit on 12-10-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Game doesn't live up to gamer expectations & presumed hype. Gamers throw hissy fits & demand refunds.

Color me not shocked. They do this s# even in F2Ps. Nobody forced you to buy anything. All pre-release hype aside, you bought it because YOU were curious & wanted firsthand experience. It's kind of like how nobody forces anyone to buy a game pack in a F2P. That was your choice, bub, don't bitch now because you feel it wasn't worth the $120 you forked over for digital items in the first place. Same idea.

You can read and view all the reviews on the planet, and a game still might not match what you're expecting out of it. S# happens, move on to the next adventure like I used to with my NES growing up. Game sucked worse than expected? Oh well, shelve that cartridge & get the next one on the to-play list.

Edit: Oh, and no, I don't have NMS. Might still get it for s#s & giggles time-killing anyway. Depending on whether or not the whiners bankrupt them out of existence.
edit on 10/12/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This looks interesting, but as a 13 year vet of eve online im not sure i'll be able to get over the fact that its qusai multiplayer and that meeting one other player let alone many other players is so slim (and therefore i expect very limited when they do) possibly a turn off.

I think this interests me on a level that spore did if anyone remebers that. Lots of hours of exploring fun, but since it is multiplayer but you cant co-op or make corps (like eve) i think that spoils an aspect of it [possibly].

edit on b4848134 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Update:
ASA Ruling

Ad

A web page on store.steampowered.com, seen in September 2016, for the game ‘No Man's Sky’. Under the title, text stated "No Man's Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated universe". The page contained two videos of gameplay and 11 screenshots showing game features, as well as an extended text description of the game, part of which stated “Fly smoothly from deep space to planetary surfaces, with no loading screens, and no limits … Trade convoys travel between stars, factions vie for territory”.

Issue

Twenty-three complainants, who believed that some of the game content was not as depicted or described, challenged whether the ad was misleading.

We understood that the screenshots and videos in the ad had been created using game footage, and acknowledged that in doing this the advertisers would aim to show the product in the best light. Taking into account the above points, we considered that the overall impression of the ad was consistent with gameplay and the footage provided, both in terms of that captured by Hello Games and by third parties, and that it did not exaggerate the expected player experience of the game. We therefore concluded that the ad did not breach the Code.

We investigated the ad under CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 and 3.3 (Misleading advertising), 3.7 (Substantiation) and 3.11 (Exaggeration), but did not find it in breach.
Action

No further action required.

Also the game itself has been updated to 1.10 pc and 1.11 ps4
Foundation Update

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join