It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to station troops in Eastern Europe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: sg1642

Now, Russia is going to have to react to this, and they will be called the aggressors...

Its sad whats happening

Yes totally right and from a Brit I can tell you Yugoslavs that not many of us agree with out government placing troops next to St Petersburg. Our government are nuts, that area is Russia's backyard. NATO look totally obsessed with forcing Russia's hand like you state above. NATO is that bar room bully who is always looking for a fight, going about the room forcing its face 1" from somebody elses face and waiting for an excuse to throw that punch.

Our government in its treatment of Russia does not speak for most of us Brits Nicola. All we want to do is sell our products to them and get along while letting Russia have its influence in their traditional area.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: sg1642

As we voted for out of the EU what the hell is cameron doing talking about join in g our armed forces with EU forces. He is totally out of line and against what the British people have asked him to do.

Its also totally disingenuous of him to say he is a caretaker prime minister when he draws a PM's salary yet doesn't do what the public have asked him to do. How dare he under the present circumstances ignore the referendum and try to get us involved in EU armies.

Cameron needs to go now and we need a general election blow the NM P's paid holidays they don't deserve them for being so out of touch with the country they are governing in such a deceitful manner. A vote of no confidence is what is needed now.

Have more details come out about this?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't know the man's name but whoever hosts bbc Cambridge was a very brave man today. I was over there working and he asked a good question. 'Why do our governments seem hell bent on starting ww3 with the russians? And worse still why is nobody reporting it as such?'

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Britain being part of NATO has nothing to do with being part of the EU or brexit, the EU politicians in brussels should not get involved with NATO discussions or deployments.
I think most of the Polish have moved to western Europe anyway, so if the Russians invade Poland they will find the country empty.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Russia isn't going to invade what we know today as Poland because they generally already have it through Ukraine. Actual Poland is now called Ukraine, what we know today as Poland is actually Germany. As you say Poland is emptying out to make way for Germans to retuyrn to their former Prussian domain now they rule it through the EU. Devious is not a word good enough for the Germans doing it as usual through the back door. All Russia wants is its former SU and it will get it back one way or another. Let them have it and Putin won't bother us and the Germans get the lands to their East. It's like the Rippentropp Molotob pact 2016

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It is a part of around 3,000 troops NATO is sending to Eastern Poland and the 3 Baltic states. 1000 US troops will be in Poland. The Germans will lead a joint German, UK, France, Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian battalion (about 1000 troops total) in the Baltic states. No word on the additional 1000 NATO troops but likely it will be a joint battalion of rotating NATO members states.

Now I know those of you with some military knowledge will say, 3 or 4 thousand troops is to small to make any difference. And you would be correct. However, those troops being made up from members from through the alliance act as a trip wire and a reminder an attack one member is an attack on all members.

More symbolic than anything is shows the alliances commitment to those eastern nations who feel like they are hanging out alone. This is along Russia's Western Military District that has 400,000 troops so not much of a threat to Russia although I am sure they will claim it is an invasion force.
edit on 8-7-2016 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

As far as I have always seen the number of boots on the ground isn't always telling. 3000 soldiers might only be supplied with basics or they could be supplied with everything a modern army could ask for and the logistics that go with it, I'm betting it's the latter.

It's Russia's move now, although the move is technically a small one it is definitive, I'm curious on how Russia will respond.

Ideally I'd say we stop as it is and bolster the likes of Estonia and Latvia so they have the assets to use as they see fit. The timing though, it makes it tricky for the UK to dedicate to anything up mostly other than via NATO. It's pretty much impossible to untie the political aspect from the security one in this situation.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

All Russia has to do is tell them that their " Russian" borders can never be violated. Then if they are Nuclear war is assured. Its a cheap defence and gets them out of the constant arms race they were drawn into which made the Soviet Union economically unworkable. Then the West can waste as much money and recourses right up to the border, which feeds money into these Eastern countries. Russia is just so vast all it has to do is make sure all the basic requirements of its people are met , and politically it would be stable. Its got a lot going for it.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
people should understand between poland and russia are countries, belarus, lithuania and the ukraine.
this isnt the old ussr with poland right on its doorstep.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join