It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to station troops in Eastern Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Quite surprised this hasn't appeared on here yet. Defence Minister has announced deployments with actual figures to be released over the weekend. Seems a bit pointless everyone coming back to the UK from Germany now too. Yet more tit for tat sabre rattling.

He said final announcements on the scale of the commitment would be made at the summit, which David Cameron is also attending.

Mr Fallon said: ‘I shall be with the Prime Minister in Warsaw and we shall be pledging there a commitment to deploy additional troops on the eastern side of Nato as a direct measures of reassurance, particularly to Poland and to the Baltic States, that feel threatened by the Russian build-up and some of the very aggressive moves we have seen from Russia, not least of course in the invasion of Crimea and the continuing insurrection in eastern Ukraine.’

He told BBC Radio 4’s World at One: ‘We are going to make the final announcement at the weekend, but you will see a sizeable contingent deployed. They have already been out there exercising in both Poland and the Baltic states.

‘Our RAF Typhoons are carrying out the Baltic air policing mission at the moment, patrolling the skies over the Baltic, but this will give us a presence on the ground which I hope will reassure our allies, particularly those that have to live and work right next door to Russia.'

link

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Cameron can still do war then? I guess it's just Brexit he wants to avoid?

I know for sure Theresa May will do war, she would love to push the button, I'm certain of it.

Is she giving out her orders already?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Now, Russia is going to have to react to this, and they will be called the aggressors...

Its sad whats happening

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I am long past believing any politician makes that choice. I think they are given direction rather than choice.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Now, Russia is going to have to react to this, and they will be called the aggressors...

Its sad whats happening
that's exactly what I mean. Men and women sit in offices round the world wearing suits worth more than I probably earn in a month playing chess with the people of the world.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

The UK just voted to leave the EU.

What do the politicians do?

Escalate their involvement in the EU and NATO...

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I think the same as well, but she still looks like she would.

The BBC has been pushing the Russian Agressor agenda for quite some time, it looks like they are determined to get something going there, or is this another distraction?

edit on 7/7/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I think this could be their way of saying to the USA: hey, forget about us leaving the EU, we are still your boy in Europe, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We had trouble actually trying to meet our 2% target of GDP spending on defense and had to arse around with moving pensions around via the bean counters so actually sending people and planes is actually using the 2% more for what its for is probably a zero cost effect while hitting targets easier.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Why not?

Russia have no grounds to object as these are are our allies and those troops are invited.

The posting will be safe.

The soliders get to visit a lovely European country and have some fun.

They get some training in the process which is better than sitting in barracks at home doing nothing.
edit on 7-7-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The EU is falling apart, the global "economy" is down the crapper and the US is up to it's eyeballs and beyond in debt, not to mention all the exposed criminality and scandals..... they all need a big war as a distraction before the politicians and bankers start to appear hanging from lamp posts!

Of course, the bankers make a nice profit from war too, both in the loans to finance the war, and the ones after to rebuild, plus the privatizing of public services as a way of paying off a very small part of that debt. Large drinks all round at the club in the plush deep bunker, and more death and destruction for the rest of us. Then, it's back with the next Ponzi scheme once the dust settles. It's worked twice already, so can't hurt trying for the treble!

I'd hope that if it escalates that far, there are some adults around who would remove the warmongers from power and ensure they can never threaten this madness again, but I don't hold out much hope given the greed and madness displayed by the political elite and their handlers.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Its sad whats happening

Why?

Why react and why is this move aggressive?

Stationing troops that are invited in a allied nation is vastly diffrent to annexing part of a sovereign nation. ....

Long as Russia stay out of Poland I dont see how its there concern?

edit on 7-7-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think that is exactly what this is. Flexing the muscles and trying to be noticed. Having a seat at the table. It isn't the politicians who would pay if this went south though. It would be you. Me. Your family. Your average joe in the street. Politicians no longer speak for their country and it is sad to see.

I think the BBC push whatever agenda they think will have people buying papers and watching the news. It's money to them and the media as a whole.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
We had trouble actually trying to meet our 2% target of GDP spending on defense and had to arse around with moving pensions around via the bean counters so actually sending people and planes is actually using the 2% more for what its for is probably a zero cost effect while hitting targets easier.

Well better having them do something Than sit around at home doing nothing.

Travelling to a freindly peaceful country is good for the troops and good for recruitment.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Why not?

Russia have no grounds to object as these are are our allies and those troops are invited.

The posting will be safe.

The soliders get to visit a lovely European country and have some fun.

They get some training in the process which is better than sitting in barracks at home doing nothing.

They have no grounds to but it doesn't mean they won't. And you are right its a good thing perhaps for your average soldier sat twiddling his thumbs. I highly doubt this will cause ww3 but it is another line being drawn in the sand.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

A fair line.

If Putin invades poland then Russia deserves everything it gets.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I don't see him invading Poland. (Especially not now we've promised to send a few battalions of men and a typhoon jet is overhead)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Defencive measures or not, it's a dedication to a build-up of troops near Russian borders, Russia will react.

Back in about 2005 when those defencive missile plans began to be implemented, the missiles apparantly designed to stop a possible rogue ME nation. Russia declared it was a serious threat to national security (it is because in a MAD scenario we'd shoot a good number of missiles out of the sky) and they did a public test of it's latest MIRV ICBM's, something they are always working on.

Regardless of what you, I or anyone in the west thinks, Russia will see this as provocative and will react in kind.

Nobody can deny Europe/NATO have been scoffing up former USSR nations and having them turn their backs to Russia. If a major war kicked off Russia would have little choice but to obliterate eastern Europe, conventionally or with nukes
At the end of the day, we could hit Moscow conventionally... Can we get rid of our Trident missile "defence" system now?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

If Russia invaded Poland it would most likely EMP, soften targets will a hailstorm of artillery then slowly move West with whatever is operable.

Typhoons in the area will be disabled as well as any electronic relying weaponry.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

As we voted for out of the EU what the hell is cameron doing talking about join in g our armed forces with EU forces. He is totally out of line and against what the British people have asked him to do.

Its also totally disingenuous of him to say he is a caretaker prime minister when he draws a PM's salary yet doesn't do what the public have asked him to do. How dare he under the present circumstances ignore the referendum and try to get us involved in EU armies.

Cameron needs to go now and we need a general election blow the NM P's paid holidays they don't deserve them for being so out of touch with the country they are governing in such a deceitful manner. A vote of no confidence is what is needed now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join