It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot Boyfriend For Grabbing Requested ID

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Her camera doesn't lie though and the officer absolutely reacts like he knows he screwed up.

What does her recording show then? What we see here is her claiming he asked for ID and then shot the man and the officer denying it. And how does the officer "act like he knew he screwed up" ? He just had to use his firearm, it goes to reason that he is not super calm and once again , we have no idea what transpired before that.

What the hell did you watch?

originally posted by: everyone

What does this even have to do with his race?

Sit down. Seriously.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
CNN anchor just made a damn good point - often the citizens involved in these situations seem far more calm than the officers. Is there something in the culture of training officers or police culture in general that is contributing to this pervasive issue?

They're trained to react just that way. It needs overhauled. Badly.

Also, very few cops are good shots, and very few have seen actual 'action'. They're just like YOU, except with a license to shoot people and a union with an ungodly amount of influence on the people charged with overseeing their behavior.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Any cop in that much fear over one man ,one woman & one 4 year old does not need to be a cop.

Exactly.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Any cop in that much fear over one man ,one woman & one 4 year old does not need to be a cop. Looks like cop just was so damn afraid he really screwed the pooch. My thing is the "guns out crap" when the other cops show up. Check that damn 4 year old.......he might be strapped. He's so in fear when he speaks after he shoots....wow.

So an armed man is not dangerous, so as long as his wife and kid are with him...? Not saying this man was or wasn't, just in general.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
As a US citizen, I fear for my life more from by my local police than by Islamic terrorists.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Incidents like these should justify that all law enforcement officers should use body cameras for every minute of their shift. It would be even better if those video are streamed and saved on a cloud storage (so that it would not be conveniently lost by the cops). This practice alone would reduce police brutality and corruption. But even better the video can also be used to highlight all the good public services that law enforcement actually do on their jobs.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

They're just like YOU, except with a license to shoot people and a union with an ungodly amount of influence on the people charged with overseeing their behavior.

One other thing.
There is another exception.
Most people do not choose a career that involves a life-long power trip.
They choose a job that is the adult version of a hall monitor. Being 'in charge' of everyone.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

He wasn't "armed" in the pejorative sense that you are attempting to use the term. He had a license to carry a concealed weapon. That would indicate protection for himself and his family. Why would the officer assume the guy would try to protect himself from police at a routine traffic stop? How many white guys with CCW permits end up dead at traffic stops?

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
As always when an innocent black male is shot by some roid rage induced pig, the apologists come put in full force to deflect with derision.

This is a tragic thing that happened, and I'm more than certain it wouldn't have happened to and old Tom, Dick or Harry.

"Keep your hands where I can see them"...
Nah it's easier to just shoot now, get exonerated by the union later.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
A friend and I were just having a discussion, and it occurred to me that as there are so many people legally permitted to carry, maybe there should be a universal procedure nationwide.

As in the differences in these traffic stop scenarios:

Scenario 1
Officer: License and registration please.
Driver: I have a gun.... [was going to add that it's in the glovebox and he has a permit]
Officer: Bang!
Driver: Dies.

Scenario 2
Driver: I am getting my license and carry permit from the glovebox and would like you to know I am legally carrying.
Officer: Okay.
Driver: Hands over license/permit and complies with whatever request

Scenario 3
Driver: Hands over license, registration, and carry permit.
Officer: Is there a weapon in the car?
Driver: Yes or No

Scenario 4
Officer: [Having seen that the car registrant has a carry permit] You have a weapon in the car?!
Driver: [Not being the car owner] What? No.
Officer: Is there a weapon in the car?! Show me your hands!
Driver: WTF
Downhill from there....

Scenario 5
Officer: [Having seen that the car registrant has a carry permit] You have a weapon in the car?!
Driver: [Being the car owner] Yes it's on me.
Officer: Makes whatever reuest
Driver: Complies with whatever request

In firearm training in GA, we're advised to hand over our carry permit with our license and then wait for the officer to ask if there is a weapon is in the car.

In other states apparently they may or may not know if you have a permit (either concealed or open carry) as some don't have permits in both situations.

Some may run your plates and see that those plates are linked to a carry permit. That works IF you are the owner/registrant of the car.

Anyway, I'm sure I messed some of that up, but the gist is that standardized procedural training of some sort on both the part of LE and the citizens might help de-stress some of these situation and maybe save some lives.

edit on 7/7/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

It shows three people at what was supposedly a routine stop. One is dead. The one who shot him is freaking out and trying to justify his actions. The one who just lost the father of her child - in front of her child - is trying to remain calm and rational.

I think every citizen of the United States would expect their emotional states to be exactly opposite of what they were.

The officers in the Alton Sterling case were responding to a reports of a dangerous situation involving a gun, had a minutes long, tragic interaction with a resisting subject while worried about the gun - and they were still more composed than this officer who was making a routine traffic stop.

It's not reasonable to assume your life is in danger at a routine traffic stop with a woman and a kid in the car. Should he be on guard? Sure. But primed? No.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

In at least SOME states, Mississippi comes to mind, you don't need a carry permit to have a firearm in your vehicle, because the vehicle is now considered to be an extension of your domicile.

That came about because so many LEOs were abusing the prior law. I had an uncle who ended up a regional supervisor for the MHP who once told me "I can haul you in for a concealed weapon violation if you dangle it from your rear view mirror on a string - because the front of the weapon conceals the back and the string conceals whatever part of the weapon it's tied on..HAR HAR HAR". Enough bogus stops went by and the law was changed. This is why we can't have nice things.

So, in those states, you may or may not have a CCP to HAND them, but be validly armed.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
Well said.
Huge differences between the two cases.

I am troubled by the composure (or lack of it) of the officer. I tend to think that he pulled a boo-boo here.
When a cop pulls a boo-boo, people can die.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
When a cop pulls a boo-boo, people can die.

It's ok, the union will pay off the prosecutor.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Do you think using an inflammatory term like "pig" works toward solving these issues? Don't you think that sort of Us versus Them rhetoric has played a part in creating this dangerous environment? Try to elevate your discussions why don't you, I mean if you realistically expect LEO to elevate their behavior.

edit on 7/7/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Right. All these differences and very little training. And I'm sure people, particularly people traveling through, get pretty mixed up about how to handle situations like some of the ones we've been seeing.

Maybe a common nationwide procedure and training for all would help.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I'm guessing this was meant for me...

Where I'm from, pig is the proper term to describe these jackasses.

He is not an officer of the Law, he ceased to be that when he shot an innocent man because of his weak mind.

We have more than enough pig apologists on these boards without being told we cannot rebut to our hearts content.
And for what it's worth, I don't think these pigs will ever change until the system is changed.

Eradicate the cancer and I'll refrain from saying pig.

Until then there is work to do, & policing people's vocabulary isn't gonna stop these heinous acts of authoritarian tyranny.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Nah it's easier to just shoot now, get exonerated by the union later.

I'm not so sure this cop will get exonerated. I wouldn't be surprised if he is charged with at least manslaughter.

ETA: And I'm pro-cop to boot. This just seems blatant though.
edit on 7jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Maybe a common nationwide procedure and training for all would help.

I'd love to see a national certification and an agency that's motivated to decertify them.

If, as a cop, you knew that gross misbehavior with any one 'perp' could instantly end your career, despite the best efforts of your union or local prosecutor, would you be more or less likely to be a dick, or on the take?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join