It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot Boyfriend For Grabbing Requested ID

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
Well I can safely assume he should not have had FOUR bullets pumped into him if the officer was only trying to defend himself against someone he MIGHT have perceived as going for the gun he announced he had while in the restricted confines of an automobile seat.

I feel bad for all concerned in this case. It sounds like the officer freaked out thinking the man was going for the gun that he just announced having instead of the license he was asked to produced. The officer sounds horrified at everything he did once he realized what he did. If he had truly been rational in trying to protect himself and mitigating the danger of the situation to himself and bystanders he would not have shot four times. Four times is sheer panic and out of control behavior.

And of course I feel bad for the victim and his friends and family and his grieving girlfriend and that poor child in the back seat. I hope that she doesn't end up with permanent hearing damage like I did from unprotected exposure to the noise of a gun going off just once. Not on top of everything else she should never have been exposed to in that tragedy.

It's not explicitly shown in the video nor have I read any clarifications in the news so I will have to guess. And a reasonable guess is that the victim was asked to produce the license and was in the process of doing so when he remembered that he is also supposed to admit he has a carry permit and a gun. He did so while in the process of retrieving the license. The cop freaked out and told him not to move and the victim took too long processing the new command while in the process of still presenting his drivers license. The cop interpreted that as a threat and that the victim was producing a gun and not a license. It's understandable in some respects if the victim only said "I have a gun," as he was reaching into his pocket or pulling his hands out of his pocket instead of "I have a ccp and there is a gun in the car, what do you want me to do?"

The cop made a horrible mistake. Likely not out of malice or racism but out of fear, judging from what he was saying and how he was saying it. But we won't know until his trial, and even then the facts may be distorted for political reasons and we will never know the truth of his reasoning and motivations. I have seen police act very squirrelly to white people, too. I have been on the receiving end of such treatment myself when I was simply walking my dog in my own town. So we have to be careful ascribing racism to every misstep the police make against non-whites.

And by the way I think it's irresponsible of the governor to declare that this is an act of racism on the part of the officer without having ALL of the evidence carefully gone over first. He's scapegoating so the angry black protestors stop trying to wreck his mansion.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: shredderofsouls

Statistics show.that more unarmed white men are killed by cops than black men.

Also, cops are killed by black men with guns18 1/2 times more than unarmed black men by cops.

This was from a justice report commisioned by the Obama administration march 2015.

You can also see this in the book The War on Cops by Heather McDonald.

While tradgedies happen, they are the ones repoeted for adgenda purposes. And remember...hands up dont shoot, didnt happen

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SheeplFlavoredAgain

It's not explicitly shown in the video nor have I read any clarifications in the news so I will have to guess. And a reasonable guess is that the victim was asked to produce the license and was in the process of doing so when he remembered that he is also supposed to admit he has a carry permit and a gun. He did so while in the process of retrieving the license. The cop freaked out and told him not to move and the victim took too long processing the new command while in the process of still presenting his drivers license. The cop interpreted that as a threat and that the victim was producing a gun and not a license. It's understandable in some respects if the victim only said "I have a gun," as he was reaching into his pocket or pulling his hands out of his pocket instead of "I have a ccp and there is a gun in the car, what do you want me to do?"

If you're right (which I believe you are), then this woman is lying. She doesn't want to admit that the cop told him not to reach for his wallet. She wants us to believe that he just started shooting for no reason. Why?

edit on 8-7-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu

Best I can tell, everything about this is horrible...

Police are supposed to be heroes... Supposed to be brave... Supposed to be protectors...

And when they mess up, this was not how they should respond...

I'm sad and angry. Angry and sad.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: kosmicjack
What it boils down to is that one man took another's man life for no good reason. Colors and permits don't matter to anyone except those who want us to remain divided and fighting one another over trivial matters like colors and permits.
I have no idea what it is like to be "black while driving" but several of my former students have done their best to describe it to me. The closest I can come to understanding that fear was an encounter with a skinhead, roided-up Kentucky State Police trooper. I'm a whitish, 62 year-old granny that weighs less than 120 pounds and yet some of my recent encounters with LEOs have left me wondering if they were going to pull that gun and shoot me when they put their hands on it while requesting my ID. Never in my life have I given any cop any reason to fear me. I do my very best to be pleasant. Failing that---as when they state that they "need" to search my car---I am still civil but my pleasant attitude goes away when they suggest that I give up my rights to be compliant with their wishes.
My most serious offense in the past was to be driving with a burned out bulb over my plates. When the LEO "needed" to search my car for this offense, I pointed out to him that as soon as he explained his need to a judge and presented me with a search warrant, he could search to his heart's content. I spoke to him respectfully and civilly, and yet he felt the need to add in the comment section of the violation that I was non-compliant and argumentative during the stop. If they will treat a little old lady that way, I can't even imagine how they treat those who don't know their rights or how to claim their rights. It is disgraceful. They claim to want respect and yet show none to the people they are supposed to be protecting and serving.
I don't have any answers about how to weed out the bad guys. I do think, from listening to my retired cop friends, that full-spectrum drug testing is a must. Lots of the new hires are walking around full of legal and illegal drugs.
There are lots of good cops out there. I'm sure of it. But it only takes a small percentage to tarnish the image. They've tarnished their own image and continue to do so by not stepping forward across that blue line.
I'm in favor of citizen review boards---as long as they are chosen by lottery, not by political appointment.
But to me the most important thing is to stop bickering over whether this man's life was lost because of some color or some permit. His life was lost. His family and friends are grieving---because a LEO thought he saw a burned out tail light on a car?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75
I don't think she lied about anything. I just saw her interview and she was upfront about the fact that her boyfriend rather stupidly said he had a gun while trying to pull out his wallet. That was a huge mistake and should go down among the top ten things to not say to a cop while your hands are moving out of his sight at a traffic stop.

She realized how awful that looks and sounds and wisely tried to amend the statement and clarify that he had a permit for it so the officer would know this wasn't a case of a black dude being an armed thug with a street weapon. Unfortunately we can see for ourselves the officer was too amped up on adrenaline and fear over not being able to see what the victim was doing with the hand on the wallet and he reacted too quickly and shot the guy. That was his huge mistake.

People keep reacting to the fact that nobody is helping the victim as he bleeds out. But I've been in enough crisis situations with volatile neighbors and amped up police in domestic violence calls to know people who just made or witnessed a very horrible act that can't be taken back will just stand there babbling in shock. The officer was trying to cope with the enormity and irrevocable nature of his mistake and the girlfriend was trying to cope with every "black lives matter" type scenario coming true in front of her with someone she cared about.

While I doubt the officer, who has a Hispanic name and apparently Asian appearance, was acting out of the kind of murderous racism we have seen from some cops, he possibly was acting out of bias due to the sad problem of high crime rates among black males. Or he simply is an example of poor recruiting standards and inadequate training.

edit on 8-7-2016 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typos

edit on 8-7-2016 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typos

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Isnt this video bordering on filming a snuff film? Do we need this up on ATS?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
so, what`s the point of even having a ccw if the police are just going to kill you anyways like a common thug with an illegal weapon?
The NRA should be all over this, why aren`t they?

I think we all know the answer to that.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
so was there a broken tail light, as stated by the officer?

did the dept look into the LEO falsified a reason to pull this person over?

why arent there pictures of the broken tail light?

At this point with a man being murdered in cold blood, does a broken tail light even matter?

I think we're beyond caring about the tail light. I know I am.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

On one hand I understand what you're asking about live streaming to facebook, but good she did or else this thread would be different.

On the otherhand, what would you have her do, remove her hands from the steering wheel to assist him and have that lunatic shoot her as well? Did you not hear the cop tell her to keep her hands on the wheel?

FFS

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JourneyOfTheDragon
a reply to: Bedlam

Moral of the story: If you are black and living in USA, then any LEO may kill you at any time. You are lucky the whites are letting you live in the US of A, better be grateful...

You realize you share the same mentality as a guy who just shot 12 cops right?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: prepared4truth
a reply to: kosmicjack

It's true, Black people also react negatively to other Black people. Instead of covering up America's past, we really need to dig deep and figure out how to change this systemic problem.

Because of America's history being so negative toward Black people, these biases against Black people in America persist among all groups of Americans. I'm not just talking about slavery- post slavery, there has been a lot of propaganda aimed at painting Black Americans as criminal and not only have White people fallen for it, Blacks have as well.

You're absolutely correct. As a person mixed with black, white and native American growing up was stressful for me in the black community I grew up in. Darker skinned blacks would tease me for being mixed. Blacks do discriminate against lighter skinned blacks and each other. I was the only mixed person in my entire neighborhood, it was the seventies and in the Mid West.

In my hood if you were dark skinned and successful, you were labeled an uncle tom. If you were light skinned or mixed and successful, you only became successful because you had lighter skin. It's the field vs house ni@@a attitude that continues today in the black community.

Unbelievable that this still continues. My community has a lot of healing to do and it should start in our homes with each other. Then and only then IMHO, will others listen. Maybe.

This in no way excuses the actions of certain cops to abuse their power in our communities, but we need to start changing our attitudes and start making some serious changes within American society. Killing cops isn't the way to do it.

I believe that cop killer snapped a long time ago and probably made himself a promise that the next time a black man is shot by a cop, I'm going all out and I'm taking some white cops with me.
edit on 7/8/16 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Not that he deserved to die, but he should've known the drill after getting pulled over 31 times.

Now it can be disclosed that Castile, 32, has been pulled over by at least 31 times in the last 14 years since he got his driver's license and charged with a string of misdemeanor violations.

The offenses include speeding, failure to wear a seat belt, driving after a revocation, no proof of insurance, improper display of original plate and parking violations.

In total police in Minnesota brought 31 cases against Castile, racking up 63 charges for mostly minor traffic offenses - 43 of which he was found guilty or convicted of and has paid out hundreds of dollars in fines.

www.dailymail.co.uk... z4Ds4VbRU9

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePublicEnemyNo1

originally posted by: Tardacus
so, what`s the point of even having a ccw if the police are just going to kill you anyways like a common thug with an illegal weapon?
The NRA should be all over this, why aren`t they?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Yes, the NRA has publicly stated that they support lawful gun owners *and* police that are defending themselves in the line of duty. They are holding back until more evidence is released.

I have not seen them defending the police officer either. We need to wait for more information. All we have right now is a video taken after the events occured, and a he-said/she said debate.

It doesn't look good for the cop right now, and if he over-reacted he should be sent to jail and possibly death row (if it can be proven he intended to kill Mr. Castile*). There should be no going easy on a police officer that has been entrusted by the public to keep the peace.

*I hope that prosecutors do not try to claim premeditated murder unless they have rock-solid evidence. We don't need another Rodney King because someone thinks they can get a full murder charge instead of manslaughter.
edit on 8-7-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Not that he deserved to die, but he should've known the drill after getting pulled over 31 times.

Now it can be disclosed that Castile, 32, has been pulled over by at least 31 times in the last 14 years since he got his driver's license and charged with a string of misdemeanor violations.

The offenses include speeding, failure to wear a seat belt, driving after a revocation, no proof of insurance, improper display of original plate and parking violations.

In total police in Minnesota brought 31 cases against Castile, racking up 63 charges for mostly minor traffic offenses - 43 of which he was found guilty or convicted of and has paid out hundreds of dollars in fines.

www.dailymail.co.uk... z4Ds4VbRU9

Or you could consider that he's survived it a previous 31 times without problems from those officers. This time was different.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

ok the goal of ATS is DENY IGNORANCE.
again we see alot of posters and OP not only IGNORING THIS PREMISE BUT OUTRIGHT TRASHING IT.

Ok here are the FACTS AS AVAILABLE CURRENTLY (new ones may be coming soon) .

A police officer has shot a man WHO HAPPENED TO BE BLACK.
No FACTS PRESENTED that is due to his race. Again PURE ASSUMPTION.

The video ONLY STARTS ONLY AFTER EVENTS LEADING UP TO THE SHOOTING AND AFTER THE SHOOTING HAPPENED.

All the video shows is a police officer in state of stress
NOT HIS MINDSET, WHAT HE WAS THINKING OR EVEN FULL VIEW OF HIS BODY LANGUAGE.
Any poster who claims he "knows he screwed up royalty", "he was panicky" or any other emotions IS PURE ASSUMPTION NOT FACT.

Officers CANNOT give press releases to say ANYTHING, much less defend themselves/give their side of the story.

The ONLY SOURCE that he was "shot following the officers direction after identifying he has a gun" IS THE GIRLFRIEND.

Let me ask at this point WOULD ANYONE HERE (for the officer or for the girlfriend) want their LEGAL FATE that INVOLVES MURDER CHARGE LEFT TO ONLY THE WORD OF ONE PERSON AND HALF A VIDEO?

FACT ALL THE CLAIMS OF UNJUSTIFIED SHOOTING, RACISM, ECT is HER WORD ALONE.
The word of ONE PERSON NOT EVEN SUPPORTED BY THE VIDEO SHE HERSELF SHOT.

FACT she was spouting HER SIDE OF THE STORY before even one investigator had even arrived and again NOT SUPPORTED BY HER SIDE OF THE STORY.

Now does that make her side a LIE or the truth?
Does that mean the cop is guilty or innocent?

the answer is NO TO ANY OF THOSE POSSIBILITIES.

Why.....BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE ALL THE FACTS.

Beyond that claims of cops shooting blacks more than whites, supposed attitudes of cops in general, and other cases brought up about POSSIBLE illegal police shootings IS IRRELEVANT AND NOT FACTS that can be shown DIRECTLY APPLY (AGAIN BY FACTS) to this specific incident.

But what is happening is IDENTICAL to ferguson in ONE KEY FACT.

We are STIRRING UP PEOPLE, HATRED, AND ASSUMPTIONS that not only can BUT WILL LEAD TO DISASTROUS CONCLUSIONS.

Look what HAPPENED THERE. Riots, two police officers lives ruined , police/resident relations damaged, and race division widened OVER LIES, MISS INFORMATION AND OUTRIGHT IGNORANCE.

IN fact we still keep hearing the HANDS UP DONT SHOOT when EVEN THE MOTHER PAID FORENSIC EXPERT SAID THAT DIDNT HAPPEN.

Again in the ATS DENY IGNORANCE the FACT IS WE DONT HAVE ALL THE FACTS TO MAKE ANY ASSUMPTIONS TO INNOCENCE/ GUILT OF OFFICER, IF GIRLFIREND IS TELLING THE TRUTH/LYING, or IF THIS IS A TRAGIC MISTAKE (ON ANY SIDE), MURDER, OR JUSTIFIED.

Until we do we have past history of FERGUSON to see where such ASSUMPTIONS can lead.

Scrounger

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SheeplFlavoredAgain

The Cop did indeed make a horrible mistake. Probably as you say not out of malice or racism considering the Mans asian roots, but lets face it, given the way he did react he should definitely not be allowed to remain a Police any longer and just like anybody else should be prosecuted for his actions to the full extent of the law.

Cannot perpetrate such actions against members of the public then claim you done so out of misplaced fear and hide behind a badge.
edit on 9-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

The fact is,there are a lot of good cops but there are also a lot of cops out there who should not be cops. Can you even imagine how a black person must feel when they get pulled over now? This has to stop. That officer should be charged with murder.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

You're right. The facts only start leaking out later.

As it stands now, it's starting to be revealed from recorded audio from a police scanner that the officers really pulled him over because he matched the description of a robbery suspect from four days earlier. Pictures of the victim are currently being compared to the suspects online now.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: Bone75
Where are they supposed to be? He didn't get shot for having a CCP, he got shot for not following orders after disclosing that he had a gun.

Actually, he got shot because of the incompetence of the cop. He was told to get his ID out, he was doing that. The cop suddenly changed his mind and opened fire while the guy was complying with the order he'd been given.

We have not seen the entire story so wait until we do to proclaim the cop guilty of murder. Trial by video is not fair because of how one sided that video is. I suspect this woman acting so calm and cool in that situation has something seriously wrong with her. but then again she might a been in shock too.

If she wanted to have good proof she should had recorded THE ENTIRE STOP. As such its a biased video since it was not.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join