It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Speech On Behalf Of The 48 Percent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

He's great, Johnathon Pie. I think it was one of your posts where I first saw him actually.

The one from the other day about why poor northerners voted for Brexit was good and surprisingly sympathetic too.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: SprocketUK

Insist on MPs who understand that their place is not to design policy, or make choices on our behalf. Their job, is whatever we, the people, tell them their job is on a given day of the week. Let's petition the government to provide servants, not masters!

We live in a parliamentary democracy. It is entirely the job of our MPs to design policy and make choices on our behalf.

With the proviso that they tell you (broadly) what they plan to do before hand).

That is very true. I do think we have too many people who would vote for an illl tempered honey badger as their MP as long as it wore the right coloured rosette.

We far too often fail to hold MPs accountable for how they vote as individuals in this country.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Thing is I spend most of my day with people who need political representation, the sost the left should provide. Care assistants in the morning and McMillan nurses in the afternoon. I also have middle class friends who require representation, but their jobs provide financial security and generous benefits as part of their contrRacts we had the chance to vote to change the system. Which would have been better for ukip voters, but no one really turned out so its a bit late to complain about the system now, when the opportunity arouse no one turned up to cast their vote. If we had gone with a proportional representation system things like this would have been much easier to implement and would have made more sense all voting systems have their pros and cons one of the cons of direct democracy is that it's basically mob rule and requires an educated electorate, not one easily swayed by the populist media

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Even then, the electorate as a whole generally gets things more or less right.
(We don't see BNP MP's for instance).

Labour has been lost as far as those at the lower end of work are concerned since John Smith died.

One good thing about the whole debacle around Corbyn is that a lot of labour people are waking up to how their party is filled with pink Tories.

It may result in a split, but in the long run, that could be exactly what this country needs.

I agree on PR, It's coming at some point.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I hear that the EU is accepting lots of refugees who arrive in rickety boats.

Perhaps the 48% who voted to remain could simply go down to the beaches, construct boats out of whatever they find and float across the channel? It's less dangerous than attempting the same with the Mediterranean.

Then they can be absorbed into the EU as they wish, and I guarantee the EU that they would assimilate far better than the Muslims.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Our membership was illegal because we were only offered a choice in the matter AFTER we had joined. This goes against articles of documents like Magna Carta, The Petition to a Bill of Rights, the Bill itself, and other documents which lay out the rights of citizens in this country.

The articles to which I am referring state, that no power or legislative influence may be exerted over our nation, unless the people give their PRIOR consent, by way of a vote.

We did not get a vote prior, we got a vote afterward.

That says nothing of the fact that even if we ignore this actual fact, we have been lied to about the intentions behind the EU project from the very beginning. It was not only inflicted upon our people by way of a criminal act of the highest order, but was sold to us during the first referendum under entirely false pretences.

And as for your assertion that our government are indeed there to make decisions on our behalf, I challenge that. They are there. to make sure our decisions about how our nation ought to be run, are carried through into law, and otherwise put into practice. They are not there to administrate without reference, constant reference to the needs and instructions of the electorate. They are our servants, not our masters. If it were any other way, there would have been no point in altering the state of affairs which saw our nations run entirely by monarchs and their underlings.

posted on Jul, 7 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Those documents make no reference to referendums (a pretty alien concept at the time) instead assert the powers of parliament. As parliament voted on our membership it is entirely legal.

We like to kid yourself that we have a great and ancient constitution in this country when what we have is a collection of tradition and practises. The only constitutional principle we have that holds weight is that no parliament may bind its successors (which is another way of saying we don't have a real constitution as parliamentary power overrides it).

You may not like being in the EU. You may think the decision was immoral or based on lies. None of that makes our membership illegal.

We do not have direct democracy in the UK. MPs are in theory elected to vote based on their own conscience and beliefs(in practice more often party leaders beliefs). They are not expected or required to consult or even take into account public views on each issue. Again you can argue that we should have more direct democracy in this country if you wish, however that is not the system we have.
edit on 7-7-2016 by ScepticScot because: Typos

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko why didn't you and your ancestors just stay on the mayflower instead of disembarking and turning America into your version of a puritanical hell hole. Who's ramifications live on in modern America. We all emigrated from somewhere for a better life. Enjoy the country you have without denying that privilege to other families who only seek the same thing. Welcome them like you were welcomed

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
A lot of the 52%'ers seems to forget that this referndum was not set in stone. It's not mandatory.

I'd much rather live in the EU and be a part of a wider bloc than carry on with this post-colonial crap and little Britain nonsense.

I've seen and been part of the benefits of the EU and have witnessed the regeneration of post-Thatcherism. London does NOT give a damn about the rest of the UK.
The Brexit fools seem to forget that.

I'm much happier knowing that I can travel and work freely in the EU. I'm much happier knowing we get funding and grants and regulations and protection and safety nets from the EU.

Sadly the small minded fools have taken this away from us. Now we're taking a step back in time. There's nothing progressive about leaving the EU. Just further erosion of our rights. Further erosion of any chance of progression.

Sod the 52%. They seem to forget that it was never an overwhelming majority. Just fifty/fifty. Just selfish idiots and degenerative, selfish, barely concealed racists and smug, self-satisfied little Englanders. They've made us a laughing stock in the face of Scotland and N.Ireland and it ashames me.

These Brexiters speak of unelected people being in control. I don't remember electing Farage, I don't remember electing Cameron (yet he got in somehow on a tiny margin). Apathy seems to rule.

Not just that, but these traitors who ruined us and our chances of progression have suddenly jumped ship like the little rats they are, with no exit plan. Just cowards. Leaving the decent, poor people to pick up the pieces against a devalued pound and fleeing businesses.

Disgusting.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Oh and they quickly abanded their promises to pledging the money 'saved' to fixing the NHS. Farage is a traitorous leech and he's already abandoned ship and backtracked on his pledges.

Absolutely disgusting.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mr-lizard

You are confusing you not voting for someone with not being allowed to vote for someone.

But then as a remaniac you would, wouldn't you?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

You are confusing you not voting for someone with not being allowed to vote for someone.

Remaniac, that's adorable

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   

These 'unelected' people you're so terrified of... You do realise they're not allowed to just make up laws right? They're proposals which can easily be rejected.

These proposals are debated and in some cases accepted or dismissed by ELECTED Mep's and elected national governments.

But you keep peddling your lies and leave the truth to people who know what they're talking about.

www.europarl.europa.eu...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
So many people have swallowed the crap on the Brexit side.

Maybe a little reading will do you good. Albeit a little too late.

bloggerty.wordpress.com...

The House of Lords, for example, is unelected and arguably has more power to dictate how people live in the UK than any instrument of the EU. It recently demonstrated that power by blocking the Chancellor’s tax credits reform – a flagship pledge of the new Government.

But you Brexit'ers will just pick and choose what offends you, right?

Er... herp..derp but the spending....

ne of the most persistent myths about the EU promoted by its critics is the cost to the UK of EU membership. The number most often put out there is £55 million per day. Granted, it can be hard to find the exact numbers, but a recent report by Open Europe (a think-tank that wants to reform the EU) shows that the UK in 2013-14 was projected to make a contribution of about £17 billion, and that about £8 billion of EU spending would be directed at the UK (mainly on farming subsidies). So the net contribution this year is £9 billion, or £24 million per day, or about 40p per person per day.

Okay then... but herp...derp... Immigration...

www.debatingeurope.eu...-4KIz7nA

The UK is not a member of the passport-free Schengen zone, so it retains border controls and checks, and Britain has refused to take part in any EU scheme to reallocate refugees from the war in Syria (though it has separately promised to resettle 20,000 refugees by 2020). Furthermore, immigration from outside of Europe is not affected by Britain’s EU membership.

But herp derp... we'll save the NHS by leaving....

www.independent.co.uk...

Nigel Farage has disowned a pledge to spend £350 million of European Union cash on the NHS after Brexit.

But erm.... The pound will be stronger...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The pound tumbled to a new 31-year low today, crashing below $1.30, on fears over the effect of last month's Brexit vote on Britain's property market and the prospect of cuts in Bank of England interest rates. In early trading in Asia, sterling fell to $1.278; its lowest level since June 1985. The British currency is considered one of the main vehicles through which financial markets can express their concern about Brexit. By evening, the pound recovered some ground and by 7pm was changing hands at $1.2918.

The ONLY people who benefited from this are the right-leaning, middle classes who have never given a damn about the poor, sick or the underclass.

The reality is we're going to lose a lot of workers rights, maternity/paternity rights, right to travel and work, safety regulations etc...

-----------

If the Brexit was such a victory, why aren't any leaders willing to bet their careers on it? I'll tell you why, because it was based on falsehoods to fool the gullible. All the leave party are dropping like the rats they are. Not wishing to get their hands dirty or tarnish their careers.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard

These 'unelected' people you're so terrified of... You do realise they're not allowed to just make up laws right? They're proposals which can easily be rejected.

These proposals are debated and in some cases accepted or dismissed by ELECTED Mep's and elected national governments.

But you keep peddling your lies and leave the truth to people who know what they're talking about.

The commission does make up the laws you silly sod. The MEP you either did or did not vote for though...He or she is NOT allowed to make up a law. You should know this by now.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard

The commission does make up the laws you silly sod. The MEP you either did or did not vote for though...He or she is NOT allowed to make up a law. You should know this by now.

The commission proposes laws not makes them. They are then voted into law or not by the EU parliament.

Pretty similar to how in the UK the cabinet (unelected) proposes laws and parliament votes on them.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

If you are happy never being to vote for those who make the laws that's fine, but don't serve me a sh1t sandwich and tell me it's steak.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Some good arguments from question time on thursday

top topics

<< 1   >>

join