It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reason And Faith are Irreconcilable

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

we have water and if I am not mistaken there is a deep well and a stream on the property.

Praise be unto our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ for such wondrous supply.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

CONGRATS. What a wonderful and wise gift from The Boss. Congrats.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: TerryDon79

He is NOT my errand boy and does not dance to my tune.

However, He delights to prove Himself mighty in behalf of those WHO TRUST in Him.

So now you have to trust God to be shown God? Isn't that the same as believing in magic so when you watch Paul Daniels it looks real?

It means step out in faith and your faith will be rewarded.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

a reply to: TzarChasm

Doesn't look to me like you understood the post you were replying to very well.

Or else it was a deliberate dodge.

the post i was responding to wasnt formulated all that well to begin with. and my response wasnt inaccurate in the least. googling the scientific method is a very direct way of learning exactly how reason operates as opposed to faith. there are many online resources for those who want to understand in detail the difference between the two.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

However, He delights to prove Himself mighty in behalf of those WHO TRUST in Him.

So now you have to trust God to be shown God? Isn't that the same as believing in magic so when you watch Paul Daniels it looks real?

remember my comment about the skydiving priest?

edit on 6-7-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

So if I got to the top of the Empire State Building, start walking off the edge while believing "God won't let me die", I won't splatter on the ground like everyone else?

I wonder how many Christians, Catholics, Muslims, scientologists, Pastafarians and all other religious denominations would try that?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I wouldn't because that is testing/tempting God and it is wrong not even Jesus would do it.

Luke 4:9 And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:
10 For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:
11 And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

So it really comes down to "believe in me because I say so"?

That would be like a complete stranger (same as God, because no one has ever met him) coming up with a bottle of clear liquid with a label saying "Acid. Don't drink!" and him saying "It's water. Trust me."

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

So it really comes down to "believe in me because I say so"?

That would be like a complete stranger (same as God, because no one has ever met him) coming up with a bottle of clear liquid with a label saying "Acid. Don't drink!" and him saying "It's water. Trust me."

gotta take it by faith, not reason. learn your priorities.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

In my example above I do know my priorities. By faith God supplied for our NEED. But I would not temp God by jumping off a building not even Jesus did that. If Jesus refused to do it when asked so will I.

My priorities aren't to tempt God but to trust him and that is where reason comes in hand, deciding where and when we trust him is where Reason comes in.

So while the two can be juxtapositional they also compliment each other when one lives a life trusting Our God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

And this is where faith comes in.

You can't prove it was god. You BELIEVE it was god.

Believing doesn't make something true. My daughter believed in Santa, fairies, Easter bunny and the tooth fairy. She believed in them as much as people believe in god. But that doesn't make them true or real.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

And likewise, just because all those others are false doesn't immediately mean that God is not true.

Logic works both ways, each stands or falls on its own merits.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

So if I got to the top of the Empire State Building, start walking off the edge while believing "God won't let me die", I won't splatter on the ground like everyone else?

I wonder how many Christians, Catholics, Muslims, scientologists, Pastafarians and all other religious denominations would try that?

What? That's silly, come on. God gave you a brain. God made specific promises, He said if you diligently seek Him with all your heart He will reveal Himself to you.

And it's true. The "faith" that you step out in, is that promise of God. Test it out for yourself.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

And likewise, just because all those others are false doesn't immediately mean that God is not true.

Logic works both ways, each stands or falls on its own merits.

I agree.

It also means that God/religion could be the longest known "fairy tale". Or it might not be. No one can conclusively say God does or doesn't exist as there's no evidence to prove either.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

What? That's silly, come on. God gave you a brain. God made specific promises, He said if you diligently seek Him with all your heart He will reveal Himself to you.

And it's true. The "faith" that you step out in, is that promise of God. Test it out for yourself.

I thought god couldn't be tested? So the "testing" would be futile by nature, no?

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I wouldn't because that is testing/tempting God and it is wrong not even Jesus would do it.

According to your Bible, Jesus did do it. No, he didn't jump off a cliff on the Devil's dare, but he could have. The Angels would have caught him, because his destiny was to die by crucifixion. Otherwise people couldn't/wouldn't be wearing crosses around their necks! You can't wear a cliff!

But, let me educate you. The government is your god. It's the government that makes sure your needs are met. The government provides for you, makes sure that food and clean water are available to you, that banks will finance your home, if you can't afford to buy one outright. This is one place where Paul was right, sort of. You have to put your faith in your government, or all hope is lost.

edit on 6-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: BO XIAN

we have water and if I am not mistaken there is a deep well and a stream on the property.

Praise be unto our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ for such wondrous supply.

Hmm..would you kindly give me your exact address so that I can come and praise him with you too?

edit on 6-7-2016 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

1) I don't wear a cross nor do any in my family.

2) Jesus did not jump off the tower. So your claim he did do it is in error.

3) the government is not my god and I put no trust in the government. I have lived in many places. While it is true the in the US and other developed nations we have clean water and food it is not so in other places. I try and by our food that are not manipulated by GMO's but not entirely possible. While a bank may in the end holds the Account that I will pay for my house. The bank nor the Govt hold the title or the deed, a home I had no money to afford one, the title is free and clear in my name and has no leans on it, the loan was via another and in their name. And by my yes alone, I will pay it off.

4) Paul is always right.

edit on 6-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Maybe if you were known to me, but you are not.

posted on Jul, 6 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Who had we Trusted?

The LORD God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Who do we attribute the answer too?

The LORD God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Who do we glorify for it all?

The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

For you he cannot be known.

Heb 11:6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

For me God knows who I am.

1Cor 8:3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

This is where your logic reasons trump faith, which keeps you from believing there is a God.

Again Faith and Reason cannot be reconciled.

edit on 6-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join