It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some serious theological problems with the Christian religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
In my ongoing quest to analyze religion and it's effect on society I have had a realization lately about Christianity- namely that Christians themselves can't even agree on the vital tenets of the religion. Why should people be willing to devote their lives to a belief system that isn't even clearly defined? If you don't believe me, then read on.

The first issue we are going to look at is the rapture. Almost everyone is familiar with the basic idea of the rapture- that God or Jesus' faithful followers will be raised up into the sky at the second coming of Jesus and taken away from earth to heaven to live in God's presence.
What you may not know is that the process of the rapture is not accepted by all Christians. Some believe that the rapture account is not literal. Also, there are several different beliefs about exactly how the rapture is supposed to occur. There are three different views of the rapture's timing and whether Christians will be subject to a great tribulation or not is also in question.

www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com...

www.matthewmcgee.org...

And of course the church can't even agree on whether Jesus was an advocate for wealth or poverty, even though Jesus was pretty clear on the matter. Nevertheless, the so called Prosperity Gospel is a very controverial issue among Christians today and has many followers. The problem with the view that God will reward his faithful followers with wealth is that it directly contradicts the New Testament. Jesus went so far in denying wealth as to demand that his apostles only own one pair of sandals so it's hard to believe that he would be OK with his followers praying for mansions and SUV's.

www.christianitytoday.com...

The most surprising and most important unsettled issue however is salvation itself- namely how to earn it. Though most people will says that salvation is earned by accepting Jesus as your savior, there are actually many different beliefs in Christianity today about how to earn and keep salvation. These range from being born again as noted above, to requiring baptisim, to doing good works, to avoiding all sins, or staying away from only certain sins, to the old Catholic idea of buying indulgences. You would think that of all the tenets of Christianity, how to be saved would be the most well defined, but ironically it's the least. In fact, Christians are even divided on whether salvation, once earned, can be lost or taken away. If you throw in additional factors such as purgatory, predestination, or the status of people never got to hear the gospel it gets quite complicated. With such dramatic variances it's hard to imagine ever feeling truly secure about the fate of your soul if you're a Christian.

www.christianbiblereference.org...

www.aol.com...

www.religioustolerance.org...

For me, the problems, inconsistencies, negativity, hypocrisy and irrationality of Christianity were enough to make me give up religion, but when you add on the downright shakiness of the whole theology now I can't see how anyone can take Christianity seriously. At least paganism had something real at it's root with nature.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

No religion can encompass the whole truth of the individual. That is one of the reasons I don't participate in a religion. They are simply not one size fits all. If you are truly looking for spiritual truth as you say then you will find it within yourself not in a religion.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
In my ongoing quest to analyze religion and it's effect on society I have had a realization lately about Christianity- namely that Christians themselves can't even agree on the vital tenets of the religion. Why should people be willing to devote their lives to a belief system that isn't even clearly defined? If you don't believe me, then read on.

The first issue we are going to look at is the rapture. Almost everyone is familiar with the basic idea of the rapture- that God or Jesus' faithful followers will be raised up into the sky at the second coming of Jesus and taken away from earth to heaven to live in God's presence.
What you may not know is that the process of the rapture is not accepted by all Christians. Some believe that the rapture account is not literal. Also, there are several different beliefs about exactly how the rapture is supposed to occur. There are three different views of the rapture's timing and whether Christians will be subject to a great tribulation or not is also in question.

www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com...

www.matthewmcgee.org...

And of course the church can't even agree on whether Jesus was an advocate for wealth or poverty, even though Jesus was pretty clear on the matter. Nevertheless, the so called Prosperity Gospel is a very controverial issue among Christians today and has many followers. The problem with the view that God will reward his faithful followers with wealth is that it directly contradicts the New Testament. Jesus went so far in denying wealth as to demand that his apostles only own one pair of sandals so it's hard to believe that he would be OK with his followers praying for mansions and SUV's.

www.christianitytoday.com...

The most surprising and most important unsettled issue however is salvation itself- namely how to earn it. Though most people will says that salvation is earned by accepting Jesus as your savior, there are actually many different beliefs in Christianity today about how to earn and keep salvation. These range from being born again as noted above, to requiring baptisim, to doing good works, to avoiding all sins, or staying away from only certain sins, to the old Catholic idea of buying indulgences. You would think that of all the tenets of Christianity, how to be saved would be the most well defined, but ironically it's the least. In fact, Christians are even divided on whether salvation, once earned, can be lost or taken away. If you throw in additional factors such as purgatory, predestination, or the status of people never got to hear the gospel it gets quite complicated. With such dramatic variances it's hard to imagine ever feeling truly secure about the fate of your soul if you're a Christian.

www.christianbiblereference.org...

www.aol.com...

www.religioustolerance.org...

For me, the problems, inconsistencies, negativity, hypocrisy and irrationality of Christianity were enough to make me give up religion, but when you add on the downright shakiness of the whole theology now I can't see how anyone can take Christianity seriously. At least paganism had something real at it's root with nature.

Have you tried Islam yet?

Christianity is the religion of poor.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Nah. Don't believe anyone who tells you they have the answer. Even pagans.

edit on 7/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I'm just saying, as religions go it's the only one that has some reality at it's core, though how much reality and how much fantasy I don't know.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Well written and to the point. Many people try to dig too deep when confronting the idiocracy that is religion. The main points for not believing in any religion are right there on the surface to be ignored by those who are "in too deep" to see their own folly.

Like you, i see the inconsistencies and the various teachings as the biggest red flag. Not to mention the direct plagiarism from various contemporary and earlier writings.

When i was a young kid, i was very interested in greek mythology. I had such a hard time wrapping my head around the time lines of greek vs roman vs Egyptian. What i did realize was that each culture had it's own beliefs. And that none of the stories told to children for thousands of years were true. They couldn't all be true, and especially the newcomer that lifted material from all of the surrounding areas. Christianity was the mormonism/scientology of the time, but it was and is the best branded scam to have ever been perpetrated on the world. Aesop's fables is a much better way to teach children morals.

edit on 5-7-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328 Jesus went after the religious leaders. And them came after him and got him crucified. He stood against religion. He stood for a personal relationship with God through him. You didnt know that? Mohhammad was a perv, liar, thief, and murderer. Take your choice

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: CB328 Jesus went after the religious leaders. And them came after him and got him crucified. He stood against religion. He stood for a personal relationship with God through him. You didnt know that? Mohhammad was a perv, liar, thief, and murderer. Take your choice

I think that is a true distinction between Christianity and Islam. Christianity has a great teacher who did good at the core of its belief system while Islam has a warmongering pedophile that they look up to as their inspiration.

However, I doubt either of them wanted a religion based on their teachings.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Nah. Don't believe anyone who tells you they have the answer. Even pagans.

Damn , gotta give you a star just for the song. Makes me miss my youth, good stuff.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: savagediver
I got to see Crosby recently.
He played Cowboy Movie. His voice isn't quite what it was but it's still thrilling.

edit on 7/5/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Thats a little oversimplified
Many of your issues are about individual choice, we are all individuals, we are not as you would expect.
If we all believed in the exact same thing we would be accused of brain dead followers.

The Nicene creed is recognised as a foundational statement

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made. Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end. And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father [and the Son]; who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets. And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Now the word catholic in context means universal, not Roman Catholic

The rapture is unclear, personal choice

Jesus was not an advocate for wealth or poverty, Jesus was an advocate for commitment to God irrelevant of finances, you skew it.

Salvation is not earned, its a gift, from the bible
"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,"
Philippians 2:12
We must work it out for ourselves, individually
Its an individuals religion, God doesnt treat everyone the same, guess why???

It amazes me, a non studied, non christian making a call based on assumption. /sarcasm

If there is one thing you havnt realised, its you dont know anything about christianity, you have placed your inconsistent reasoning into the theology

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

you need to address a few other issues before attempting these! Muslims believe that Jesus was a disciple of Mohammed. Christians beleive he was the son of God,and Jews are still waiting for Jesus to come.
Jesus was resurrected.....that would make him a zombie? That didn't freak anyone out?
Protestants are christian,catholics are christians,so whats the difference? Condoms? Fish friday?
Can't recall,the snake handlers,they are christian,but handle the evil reptile?
Just clap your hands to the sky and chant,he will come...someday....maybe....

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Raggedyman did a decent job of trying to convey this message to you:

Stop caring about theology and start caring about the Word.

Don't worry what people say. One of my personal peeves is that Christians let education interfere with knowledge.

Seminary is not the truth.

College is not the truth.

Denominations are not the truth.

Men and women still twist and turn everything to our benefit.

It's not a benefit if it's wrong though.

Consider this, however. There are many people starting many new branches to this so-called religion, and they're doing it for themselves.

Read the Word, believe it or not. Pastors are there for reinforcement during fellowship. If they think they're there to change your mind, they're working under the wrong assumption.

Only you can change your mind, if God allows you to see.

Read the Bible. Don't worry about what everyone says. If you're against what is said, then it is fully on you and no one else what you choose.

Don't base your choices in oppsition to the knowledge. The enemy wins convincing you that you know before you've read.

Opinions on the subject matter are no argument to going straight to it.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

No religion can encompass the whole truth of the individual. That is one of the reasons I don't participate in a religion. They are simply not one size fits all. If you are truly looking for spiritual truth as you say then you will find it within yourself not in a religion.

So you're saying Spiritual Truth is Subjective then???

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

No offense but I think most of what you said is nothing but carefully crafted linguistic jibber-jabber made to sound deeply informative and wise but is anything but wisdom.

There are multiple contradictions just within your post alone that make it impossible to understand or make sense in any logical way.

Religious people seem to love using that kind of language too. It's always a bunch of powerful sounding statements that are almost completely devoid of any real meaning or substance. But they do sound insightful at first.

I know you'll disagree and probably try and justify your claim by implying I haven't read "The Word" or that I'm choosing to be blind to the truth or some other jibber-jabber like always. But that still won't explain away your contradicting statements, nor will it change my opinion. So I'm going to suggest that you simply accept that what's written here is my opinion and it only effects me so there's no point in arguing about it. That will save us both a lot of time. But it's up to you.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

god did that to test their faith.
or
god works in mysterious ways.
or
they are all sinners, believe our interpretation and get salvation.
or
its the work of the devil.
or
add anything that they came up with to explain it away.

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The Pope is a man who sins like the rest of us, and cannot forgive anyones sins. He cannot even save himself

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

can't even agree on the vital tenets of the religion
CB, not just the Christians have "Conflict" within their beliefs, just have a look at Islam and Judaism doctrine's, and the different branches of these religions that differ in ideology and interpretation. One cannot but be confused with all the differences.........

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

That will save us both a lot of time
You have such wisdom.......

posted on Jul, 5 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Its not that you havnt read the word, you havnt applied intellect

People are all unique and individual, there is no global religion, Christianity is personal, between the individual and Christ.
Each person has a journey based on their life lived
We all grow in different ground, learn study, desire differently

Common sense dictates there is no one size fits all in life, especially faith

Just say a person gets lost in the prosperity movement, If they truly are seeking God and not wealth, "if they continue to work out their salvation with fear and trembling,"

God will honor them

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join