It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharp-shooting US Army Veteran Rescues Bald Eagle Hanging from a High Tree

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

A U.S. Army veteran used his sharp-shooting military training to rescue a bald eagle who became entangled in a rope and was hanging upside down from a tree, 70 feet off the ground.

Last Thursday, Jason Galvin used a .22-caliber rifle with a scope to fire 150 shots at the distant rope that was tangled around the eagle's leg. The bird was hanging upside down in a tree near Galvin’s Rush City, Minnesota cabin, according to his wife.

Pretty neat that the eagle was rescued. Stories like these are nice. What the video shows and article does not state is he did not shoot the rope, he shot the branch the rope was attached to until it snapped.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 4-7-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
150 rounds = Sharp shooter?.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
With a scope 150 shots? Seems like his military training was a total fail. He should have given the rifle to his old lady she could have probably done better.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If the Bird is now flying about with a branch tied to it's leg it's pretty much game over for the bird.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
With a scope 150 shots? Seems like his military training was a total fail. He should have given the rifle to his old lady she could have probably done better.

Ya think maybe he was being extra cautious to not hit the bird?

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
you can tell they didn't even go and watch the video.

he was trying to avoid the bird and the branch appears to be 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
a .22lr is not going to shatter green wood.
edit on 4-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
He was shooting a 22, and being very careful not to hit the bird.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

One hundred and fifty shots. Even if he was pissing his pants he went way over kill.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
you can tell they didn't even go and watch the video.

he was trying to avoid the bird and the branch appears to be 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
a .22lr is not going to shatter green wood.

As a person who grew up hunting mistletoe with a 22 I am telling you that you are wrong.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

“What an amazing hero, my Army Veteran saving an eagle on 4th of July Weekend!”

A sign of what's to come in this country soon.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

OP video not showing in Britain.

They're describing it as good shooting here.

Agencies aware for two and a half days but too jobsworth to attempt a rescue. He got the go-ahead and started pruning the tree. Eventually got the bird down, taken to a sanctuary.

Good man, good shooting.
edit on 4 7 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 4 7 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Plus, it reads that it was a borrowed rifle. That's a rifle he had not sighted in himself. 4" of thin rope holding the eagle. I think that's good shooting, as the eagle was not hit and is now recovering at the University of Minnesota's Raptor Center.

Just to even attempt the shot(s) is significant to me. That's a sign of a skilled marksman, imo. I imagine (although couldn't tell for certain because the video isn't avialable in my country) that he started from the juncture of the branch and rope. That he was sucessful at all is pretty impressive. Story doesn't indicate the distance of the shots.

ETA: Now that I can see the video (thank you Kester) you can see where he hit the base of the branch numerous times before it broke. Well done!
edit on 4/7/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

very cool, but why not just climb the tree? I understand its tall, it just takes longer....

nice though.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

One hundred and fifty shots. Even if he was pissing his pants he went way over kill.

A 22 is what I learned on.

While they have long range, they are a pretty small bullet.

That would be a newish tree branch on the end like that, pretty soft wood.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

i have lived in the woods on a farm my entire life and hunted most of my young life and still shoot to this day. real life ain't Hollywood where they put a explosion pack in a tree and blow it up.

and if you care to go out and place some money on it or leaving ATS i'm willing to meet you any where in between your home and mine that is suitable and prove you wrong.

ETA
i forgot to say mistletoe is nothing like a tree branch that is 2 to 3 inches in diameter. and another thing and you can look this up mistletoe usually weakens or kills the branch that it is on, sometimes even kill the whole tree.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I'm guessing that climbing the tree would only result in having to saw off a large branch at its base, which probably would've been more dangerous to the eagle, having to fall WITH the branch. In the video it mentions that the situation was known for a couple of days, and that the local officials didn't have a solution. Jason Galvin got permission from them to attempt a rescue via shooting the branch.

A happy ending.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

prove it. go get a .22, find a branch with similar diameter and distance without an eagle and give us the round count. Then we can use math to factor for the eagle and short rope. Let us see how close you come, avid hunter.

Eagle is alive = success.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
while 150 shots may be not the best at least the bird got out, now surely the local fire dept have ladders and could of nipped up there and of had the bird safely sorted in 20-30 mins and could of even used the event as 'training'.

When murica aint protecting their eagles you know the worlds ending.

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

It takes a lot of .22 rounds to eat through a 3 inch branch to break under its own weight.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jul, 4 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
for those so called shooters thatthink they can shoot a branch 2 to three inches in diameter down in less or think their skills are higher any one else.
screen shots of the branch in question.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join